Windows 10: Impossible to delete a file without DOS-name short filename in Windows 10

Discus and support Impossible to delete a file without DOS-name short filename in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, please advise how to delete a file from Windows 10. When I try to delete the file or rename or move it to another folder I receive error message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KilluK., Feb 16, 2020.

1. KilluK. Win User

Impossible to delete a file without DOS-name short filename in Windows 10

Hello, please advise how to delete a file from Windows 10. When I try to delete the file or rename or move it to another folder I receive error message "The file is no longer located.....". In CDM dir/x I can see that the file hasn't got DOS-name short filename. The file's long name includes weird characters.

Many thanks in advance.

:)

KilluK., Feb 16, 2020

2. Delete file with long filename "command window method does not work"

Dear all,

I need help to delete a .jpg file with long filename. It came in when I extract .rar.

Tried using cmd method (found on web) to delete it but does not work. while typing "dir" to check the list, it does not show "shortname" for the file.

Tried to type the full name to delete it also don't work. when I type the full name. it returns could not find the file as the filename contain space,

Tried delete the whole folder via cmd and powershell also do not work.

Please help me. Thank you very much.

Hanson Moh, Feb 16, 2020
  3. Cannot delete files in Temp

~DF567B.tmp, ~DFB71E.tmp

Those filenames, iirc, I have seen files of that naming nature made by applications created in Visual Basic in the past, & they did not tend to cleanup @ shutdown of the apps that made them.

A list of apps you run @ startup could help us help you understand which apps are creating them possibly, just so you know & then you might be able to find apps that do the same task but do not leave a mess around in your %TEMP%/%TMP% folders.

Also, providing us a list of taskmgr.exe apps via a screenshot of it isn't going to hurt either, just so you understand what may be causing that last filename (~ROMFN_000007A8 )

We're all fairly sure the performance monitoring the system does creates this one though -> Perflib_Perfdata_7a8.dat @ this point.

In any event, I would guess it's apps you run @ system startup, either from the registry RUN areas, &/or startup groups, for the first 3 filenames, mainly because your safemode booting allows you to delete the files & safemode typically doesn't run anything absolutely not necessary to system function (like registry RUN areas & startup group apps).

APK

Alec§taar, Feb 16, 2020
  4. kharrisma Win User

Can't delete several files... filename incorrect or too long.

Hey Forum Folke,

I have five files and one (empty) folder that simply will not delete, nor can I rename them or perform any operation of any kind on them. Any attempt to do anything to these files yields the message, "The file name you specified is incorrect or too long.
    Specify a different file name." I can access 'properties,' and have unchecked the "Read Only" box, but that made no difference in being able to do anything with these files. Regular "delete" does not work, "shift+delete" doesn't work, nor does dragging &
    dropping in the recycle bin. I'm not aware of any other methods to delete a file.

I've tried MS Process explorer to see if these files are in use somehow, but the search turns up nothing... beside, if they were in use, the error message I'd get when trying to delete them would say so, would it not?

The (empty) folder gives me this error: "Path/filename is not accessible. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." "Path/filename" is not what the message shows; it shows the actual path and filename of this file, or folder,
    actually.

Any suggestions on how to make these things go away once and for all?

kharrisma, Feb 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Impossible to delete a file without DOS-name short filename in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Impossible delete file

2. 'programas' is not a valid short file name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    'programas' is not a valid short file name: I 've tried to install vmware and virtualbox but I can't because I have this problem, if anyone can help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/programas-is-not-a-valid-short-file-name/515e5a0b-b75c-40df-b8a9-440a5c32cfa5
  3. 'programas' is not a valid short file name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    'programas' is not a valid short file name: I 've tried to install vmware and virtualbox but I can't because I have this problem, if anyone can help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/programas-is-not-a-valid-short-file-name/515e5a0b-b75c-40df-b8a9-440a5c32cfa5
  4. How to delete a file with long filename dir /x to get 8.3 file name doesn't work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete a file with long filename dir /x to get 8.3 file name doesn't work: I cannot delete a file with a long filename, the standard technique find the 8.3 filename with DIR /X doesn't work.DIR /x yields05/01/2021 08:08 AM 487,828 MAN Manu Koenig - I am elated that the Nissan dealership on 41st Ave has been canceled. The...
  5. Renaming Files Selects/Deletes Entire Filename

Renaming Files Selects/Deletes Entire Filename: This problem has bugs the He__ out of me. When renaming a file or folder in Windows 10 file explorer, I click on the filename and while I am adding a word, or number and as I'm typing, Windows automatically re-selects the entire filename, which, of course when I type another...
  6. Corrupted files that are impossible to delete

Corrupted files that are impossible to delete: Hello, while I was looking at my temp folder, a folder was not being deleted. I looked inside the folder and found this: [ATTACH] Sorry for the large images, but here is what I think caused these corrupted files: The temp folder is actually located in my USB, and in some...
  7. Really short character limit on PDF file names?

Really short character limit on PDF file names?: Hello, I am increasingly frustrated with this super short character limit on PDF files. When I'm downloading files, if it is over the limit it fails. But the limit is different every time, and some a really short like 10 or 11. I have tried both Firefox and Chrome. I have...
  8. How to make a file impossible to delete?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to make a file impossible to delete?: I have a file on a flash drive and i was wondering if there is anyway i can make so that file is not able to be deleted on ANY computer on windows 10. submitted by /u/man_wif-waluigi-hed [link] [comments]...
  9. Filename and Folder Name problem - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Filename and Folder Name problem - Windows 10: I don't know how to change font thickness(now i can see every pixel),and Filenames and Folder names are written in black color. i want default settings for font. [ATTACH] Sorry for bad english....
  10. User Name is cut short in File/Windows explorer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Name is cut short in File/Windows explorer: When you go to %USERPROFILE%\ the user should show as Foh, or at least , but for some reason it comes up as "varxt". When I connect to this computer from my laptop, it shows Computer Name> users> "varxt" (without quotes) Does any one know why this is? Ive gone to Computer...