Windows 10: Impossible to install W10 20H2 Feature update!! Extensive troubleshooting done, help needed!!

Discus and support Impossible to install W10 20H2 Feature update!! Extensive troubleshooting done, help needed!! in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am totally unable to install the W10 20H2 feature update. I've been trying now for several weeks and appear to have exhausted all troubleshooting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Silencer2079, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Impossible to install W10 20H2 Feature update!! Extensive troubleshooting done, help needed!!

I am totally unable to install the W10 20H2 feature update. I've been trying now for several weeks and appear to have exhausted all troubleshooting steps, so now I'm here rather desperately hoping someone might have a solution?

Update error code is the typical 0xc1900101 issue, same as 99% of others who've had this problem.

My current build is:

Win10 Home ver 1909 build 18363.1440

System spec is:

GB X99 G1 Gaming Wifi w/ i7-5930K

32GB DDR400 RAM

2TB NVMe SSD with 256GB free space

850w Corsair Gold PSU

Troubleshooting steps taken to date (rebooted after each step prior to retrying the update):

- Multiple attempts to install via Windows Update, which installs, reboots the system, attempts to finalize the update and then fails at approx ~23-29% causing a 2nd reboot and the "Your PC encountered a problem (KMODE EXCEPTION NOT FOUND)" screen. It then rolls back the changes and boots to OS with no update applied.

- Updated MOBO Bios to latest version, no change update still fails

- Unplugged ALL peripherals except KB+Mouse (no change)

- Uninstalled Nod32 Antivirus (no change)

- Disabled Acronis Trueimage "Active Protection" (no change)

- Disabled all possible Bluetooth onboard devices (no change) - note I still have a "Bluetooth Bus Enumerator" listed in device manager, which cannot be disabled or changed in any way.

- Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter multiple times (it detects the failed update but appears to do absolutely nothing to try and resolve it)

- Performed multiple "sfc /scannow" operations, all with no errors found (no change)

- Performed multiple "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" operations, again no errors found (no change)

- Performed NET STOP/NET START operations on the following:

wuauserv cryptSvc bits msiserver (all no change)

- Tried to turn on BIOS Secure Boot (for some reason my BIOS won't let me enable this function, so no go)

- Attempted to install the update using the Windows Media Creation Tool 20H2 (also fails as per above)*

- Attempted to install the update using the "Windows10Upgrade9525.exe" file (still fails)*

** Even with BT disabled, the final 2 steps produce a prompt during the initial install phase that my bluetooth software needs to be 'changed' by running "setup.exe" - No other details are provided, no file location or vendor info, so this file cannot be located. All my BT drivers are up to date anyway, so I have no f*kn idea what or why it's trying to change it.

It's important to know that aside from this update, the PC works flawlessly. It gives no other errors, is rock stable, all other updates and apps install and work perfectly. Only 20H2 is an issue.

And its a HUGE issue! Not only to I have to contend with constant interrupts from restart reminders, every single time the update fails it purges the download for it. So I've now had to re-download this 2-4GB update in excess of 20 times on my SSD, which will slowly but surely be killing it's lifespan.

Add to that the fact that Microsoft has forced me to put my PC at high risk by removing all AV protection and performing unnecessary BIOS updates, I'm very pissed off by the whole thing. I don't even really want 20H2, I'm just forced to install it thanks to MS BS.

Sorry for the long post, but please if you can suggest a fix that will actually get this stupid bloody update to install properly I would really really appreciate it. Thanks!

submitted by /u/Silencer2079
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Silencer2079, Apr 8, 2021
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Update History is not showing v.20H2

Hi Dominic

I am Dave, an Independent Advisor, I will help you with this . . .

This is normal behavior in Windows 10, typically when you install a Feature Update like 20h2, the update history is wiped, this is to prevent the user from trying to uninstall an update that was prior to the Feature Update, which would de-stabilize Windows
    10, the list should start building again, when some updates are applied to version 20h2 . . .

DaveM121, Apr 8, 2021
  3. Cannot install Edge extension Translator

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with installing Edge extension translator. I will certainly help you with the issue.

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps:

• Open Powershell as admin.
    • Type: "Get-AppxPackage *pocket* | Remove-AppxPackage" without the quotes this will unsintall pocket. You can try skipping step 3.
    • Type: "Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}" without the quotes.

this will reinstall all stock apps including the Windows Store
    • Now you should be able to install Pocket through the Windows Store.

Note: Replace *pocket* in step 2 with *extensionname* (example: pocket extension).

Hope this information helps.

Please get back to us with an update on the issue, we will be happy to help.

Ankit Rajput, Apr 8, 2021
  4. Arun B J Win User

Impossible to install W10 20H2 Feature update!! Extensive troubleshooting done, help needed!!

Extensions unresponsive

Hi,

I realized your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Settings > System > Apps & Features > Uninstall the problem Edge Extension(s)

• Go to Store > manually search the store for the extension, then install it again.
    After it's installed, click the 'Launch' button and it will take you to Edge where you can set it up.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

Arun B J, Apr 8, 2021
Thema:

Impossible to install W10 20H2 Feature update!! Extensive troubleshooting done, help needed!!

1. Impossible to install W10 20H2 Feature update!! Extensive troubleshooting done, help needed!! - Similar Threads - Impossible install W10

2. W10 Wins Update Intel Extension keeps needing to be updated.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 Wins Update Intel Extension keeps needing to be updated.: So W10 Windows Update keeps saying there is an update for the Intel Extension on my Lenovo P53 laptop, and the version number keeps changing, but this is up to 3 times a DAY that it wants an update! Been happening about the last 1.5 months now. Current Update version was...
  3. W10 Wins Update Intel Extension keeps needing to be updated.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 Wins Update Intel Extension keeps needing to be updated.: So W10 Windows Update keeps saying there is an update for the Intel Extension on my Lenovo P53 laptop, and the version number keeps changing, but this is up to 3 times a DAY that it wants an update! Been happening about the last 1.5 months now. Current Update version was...
  4. W10 Wins Update Intel Extension keeps needing to be updated.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't install feature update 20H2

Can't install feature update 20H2: I have tried several solutions but to no avail. Here is my windowsupdatelog text file https://gist.githubusercontent.com/berserker1/fa08d438a2d193e82c4afe3a85d4543b/raw/788836a365c0b3703d94ed9ee8dd7f3cc061990d/error.txtThe errors that come actually are like this:2021-06-19...
  6. Trouble installing 20H2 feature update

Trouble installing 20H2 feature update: I have attempted to install this update on a number of occasions but it fails with the following error code 0x800700a1. I used the update troubleshooter which made a number of changes to my laptop but now it says "my device is missing important security & quality fixes".I...
  7. Cannot update W10 to 20H2, please help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot update W10 to 20H2, please help: The first time I tried updating to 20H2 it got stuck at 0% prepared and I had to hard restart my computer. Next time I turned it on it said it was pending a restart, which it also froze on and after finally going through it just says 'We couldn't install this update, but you...
  8. Troubleshooting After Latest Feature update to Windows 10 20H2

Troubleshooting After Latest Feature update to Windows 10 20H2: I recently tried to install the latest "Feature Update To WIndows 10,version 20H2.But my pc gets crashed,become completely unresponsive.I force fully shut down and then restart.But still my pc keeps crashing without any reason.So i tried sfc/scannow in control panel and it...
  9. Impossible W10 installation - PC build

Impossible W10 installation - PC build: Hi all, I've looked for an answer everywhere but can't find anything so I've finally decided on creating a new post. I've built my first PC, specs are as follow: CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard...
  10. Troubleshoot Feature update install failures

Troubleshoot Feature update install failures: Windows 10 is based on Windows as a service, where there are two updates released per year that brings new features to the OS. As of June 2019, the latest release is Windows 10 May 2019 Update(Version 1903) and two releases are supported right now by Microsoft which are...