Windows 10: Impossible to set VLC to default software for viewing photos

Discus and support Impossible to set VLC to default software for viewing photos in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I am in charge of some Windows machines where I have to use VLC. I use it for videos automatically, I've tuned it to a fine point where I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DrumSergio, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Impossible to set VLC to default software for viewing photos

Hi,

I am in charge of some Windows machines where I have to use VLC.

I use it for videos automatically, I've tuned it to a fine point where I can show videos in another screen professionally.

I would like to set it also as the default app for images (png, jpg, etc). But now I realized I can't.

When I go to set VLC as the default image viewer in the Windows 10 settings, it just doesn't let me.

And when I open a photo and I set it ("Always open .png with this software") then after opening it back again it doesn't let me, it opens the default app of windows.

Do you know how to solve this situation? Thank you

Sergio F.

:)

DrumSergio, Oct 30, 2018

2. Set Windows Photo Viewer as default to open photos

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to set window photo viewer as default and check if it helps:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click on Control Panel and under View by change it to
      Small Icons.

• Click on Default Programs and click on
      Set your default programs

• Click on Windows Photo Viewer from the Left pane and click on
      Choose Defaults for this program.

• Select all the formats available from the list and click on
      Save and click Ok.

• Check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Oct 30, 2018
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Impossible to set VLC to default software for viewing photos :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Oct 30, 2018
  4. NOPD Win User

Impossible to set VLC to default software for viewing photos

Unable to set Photoscape as Default Photo Viewer

Photoscape is an app that is functioning normally.
    I want to make it my Default Photo Viewer.
    When I go to Settings/Default Apps it is not on the list
    On one attempt to set, it stated that Photoscape was "unavailable" (not sure where that occurred)
    I have tried a number of paths for default apps in Tutorial section without success
    Suggestions for how to get around this barrier?
    Thank You

Thema:

Impossible to set VLC to default software for viewing photos

1. Impossible to set VLC to default software for viewing photos - Similar Threads - Impossible set VLC

2. Setting Folder View Defaults

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting Folder View Defaults: I despise Windows Explorer, because I set the view I want for EVERY folder to open in, then MS decides, seemingly arbitrarily, to open folders or display search results in other views.Is there any way to fix this other than going to Redmond and taking the MS programmer...
  3. Setting Folder View Defaults

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting Folder View Defaults: I despise Windows Explorer, because I set the view I want for EVERY folder to open in, then MS decides, seemingly arbitrarily, to open folders or display search results in other views.Is there any way to fix this other than going to Redmond and taking the MS programmer...
  4. Setting Folder View Defaults

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. default settings for photos

in Windows 10 Customization
    default settings for photos: I want to change the default settings for images to Photoscape NOT Photoscape X or Photos but I can't see Photoscape listed as an option. I've de-installed Photoscape X and am thinking about de-installing Photos as well/ Any way to includ Pehotoscape as an option and choose...
  6. Task View uses online software by default

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Task View uses online software by default: Since a recent (9/2019) Windows update, Task View now opens files (that are stored both on OneDrive and on my hard disk) in the ONLINE version of the software (Word, Excel, PPoint …). Then I have to click a button, wait for the desktop software to start and to open the file,...
  7. default settings for photos

default settings for photos: I had Windows 10 installed on my computer and now it's the default setting for all of my photos. I have Photoshop CS5 and have always had it for my default for loading and opening my photos. How do I get it back. I have to open each one individually to get them into...
  8. Default Settings - Photos

Default Settings - Photos: I have installed a favorite alternate photo viewing and editing program on my laptop, and can not see it or access it when trying to set - change default photo program for photos. It seems I fight Windows 10 more than other times when I have successfully accomplished...
  9. Cannot Make Microsoft Photo View the Default

Cannot Make Microsoft Photo View the Default: Hi, all. I have added Microsoft Photo Viewer back to my Win 10 installation (because Photos is so very limited--and it doesn't scroll through all of my photos, and it's sloooowww), but no matter what I read that says I can then add it to my default apps -- either by saying...
  10. Win 10, setting default software or changing default software not possible.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10, setting default software or changing default software not possible.: When I try to change the default video player under the "Default apps" setting page it just stays on the Windows Media player. It's not possible to change this. When I try open an unknown file format I get promted to select software to use with this file format. The "Always...