Windows 10: Impossible to turn on eDrive/Bitlocker with Hardware encryption

Discus and support Impossible to turn on eDrive/Bitlocker with Hardware encryption in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi. I can't enable Bitlocker hardware encryption for Kingstorn A2000 NVME SSD series. NVME product page reports: "Supports a full-security suite (TCG... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/karkov, Jan 20, 2020.

1. /u/karkov Win User

Impossible to turn on eDrive/Bitlocker with Hardware encryption

Hi. I can't enable Bitlocker hardware encryption for Kingstorn A2000 NVME SSD series.

NVME product page reports:
    "Supports a full-security suite (TCG Opal, AES 256-bit, eDrive)"

I followed these instructions:
    https://media.kingston.com/kingston...-edrive-to-utilize-hardware-encryption-en.pdf

That give instructions on how to enable hardware encryption, even for windows 1903+, that require a Group Policy change to enable hardware encryption for SSD drives.

Current status:

• Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1909 - OS Build 18363.418
    • CSM disabled, UEFI ONLY
    • TPM enabled
    • Secure Boot enabled
    • Group Policy 'Configure use of hardware-based encryption for operating systems' enabled
    • Clean windows installation
    • Kingston SSD Manager:
    • IEEE1667 enabled
    • Drive reports 'TCG OPAL Version 2.0 is supported'

Hardware:

• AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    • Motherboard MSI Bazooka V2, BIOS: December/2019

Problem: windows doesn't recognize hardware encryption on this drive. Fails with:

"The drive specified does not support hardware-based encryption. (code 0x803100b2)"

which is not true.

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/0ZQhOBj

Steps tried:

• Install windows to a different drive
    • Enable IEEE1667 and reformat
    • Diskpart -> clean disk
    • Using a live linux distribution, use sedutil to enable TCG Opal 2.0 on the drive: works
    • A LOT of Googling
    • Contact kingstorn support

Am I missing something? Any ideas on how to enable Hardware Encryption?

submitted by /u/karkov
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/karkov, Jan 20, 2020

2. (BUG) BitLocker eDrive hardware encryption

Hi,

I did a clean install of Windows 10, and tried to use hardware encryption via BitLocker on my eDrive compliant 850 EVO ssd.

First it just would not use the hardware encryption (asks if I want to encrypt whole drive or only used portion) but I found that Intel rapid storage was conflicting with the process (version V14501081)

When I uninstalled IRST, the setup went right, but after the first reboot/system check, BitLocker has just dissapeared. It can't be found in the Control Panel (see screenshot), trying to open it via search doesn't work and it's not listed when right clicking
    the system drive, but when right clicking my second HDD there is an option to enable it, this brings me to the initialization screen, the BitLocker settings still can't be accessed. There's also no lock icon on the system drive, but BitLocker does ask for
    a password on bootup (don't have TPM).

When typing manage-bde -status C: in the command prompt, I get an error (see screenshot)

screenshot:

https://i.imgur.com/JiHCu3K.png

This worked perfectly on Windows 8.1 for me.

Edit: Now BitLocker suddenly started working properly. The lock sign is there and the settings are back, still this is strange behaviour.

Thomas Debie, Jan 20, 2020
  3. DexterG Win User
    How to restore a system image backup to a hardware encrypting SSD (eDrive)

Has anyone figured out how to restore a system image backup to a hardware encrypting SSD (eDrive)? The problem I am experiencing is that I can successfully restore the system image to the SSD but hardware encryption is no longer enableable like it was before
    the backup and restore.

Here is a basic overview of the procedure: How to Restore System Image Backups on Windows 7, 8, and 10

Here are the specific steps I followed to reproduce and document this problem:

1. Install Windows 10 (1607) onto a Crucial M500 SSD eDrive.

2. Turn on Bitlocker and the C: drive is instantly encrypted on reboot.

3. Confirm hardware encryption using Manage-bde -Status.

4. Create a system image backup using the "Create a system image" command under "File History/System Image Backup" or "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" in the Control Panel.

5. Boot to a Windows thumb drive or DVD, open a command prompt and Clean the SSD using Diskpart.

6. Restore the system image backup to the SSD. Process completes successfully and Windows runs normally.

7. Re-enable Bitlocker but only software encryption is available. The hardware encryption which was working fine before the image backup and restore is now inoperative.

I have tried this several times with various changes, such as clearing the TPM, turning Bitlocker off before creating the system image, and using a 1511 version of Windows 10 instead of the 1607 version. The results are always the same.

Conclusion: System image backups of a hardware encrypted drive are unusable because the hardware encryption can never be turned on again after the image is restored to a new, or even the same, SSD.

If anyone has figured out how to make this work I would love to hear your solution!

However, I think it is currently impossible because of a bug in Bitlocker, System Image Recovery, or both. I'm hoping that someone from Microsoft will take notice of this post and address the problem, either by providing a procedure that actually works or
    by fixing the malfunctioning code in Windows.

DexterG, Jan 20, 2020
  4. ozbenitez Win User

Bitlocker - What types of Hardware Encryption can it use?

Hello Windows Support Team,

When I run at powershell "manage-bde -status"

I see one drive with "Encryption Method: Hardware Encryption -
    1.3.111.2.1619.0.1.2" Is it eDrive, Opal 2.0, or other?

How can I tell what HW encryption is being used? This is a data drive.

Do you have further information on how to force BitLocker into using eDrive or Opal 2.0 ? or what determines what is used by BitLocker?

ozbenitez, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Impossible to turn on eDrive/Bitlocker with Hardware encryption - Similar Threads - Impossible turn eDrive

2. Bitlocker does not unlock non-boot self encrypting drives eDrive after hibernation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker does not unlock non-boot self encrypting drives eDrive after hibernation: When I hibernate and wake my computer, I am prompted for the Bitlocker password to unlock the boot drive. However, secondary data drives are not unlocked and cannot be accessed.Right clicking on them does not allow me to unlock them, as the OS thinks they are already...
  3. Bitlocker does not unlock non-boot self encrypting drives eDrive after hibernation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker does not unlock non-boot self encrypting drives eDrive after hibernation: When I hibernate and wake my computer, I am prompted for the Bitlocker password to unlock the boot drive. However, secondary data drives are not unlocked and cannot be accessed.Right clicking on them does not allow me to unlock them, as the OS thinks they are already...
  4. Bitlocker eDrive not working well on certain notebooks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker eDrive not working well on certain notebooks: I am the owner of a Dell XPS with a TCG Opal 2.0 & IEEE1667 compatible Samsung 980 Pro SSD.Before some of you will tell me not to use hardware encryption because of alleged weaknesses, I am aware of this paper and frankly modern Samsung SSDs were not affected as long as...
  5. Bitlocker - Hardware encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker - Hardware encryption: Hello,I trying to enable hardware encrypted disks with bitlocker. We have laptops different models - Dell 6420, Lenovo T470, Lenovo T14 gen 1 and gen 2, Lenovo Carbon X1 gen 9 with Windows 10 Pro 21H2 witch all current updates. And different SED disks WD SDBQNTY-256G, Samsung...
  6. Bitlocker - Hardware encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker - Hardware encryption: Hello,I trying to enable hardware encrypted disks with bitlocker. We have laptops different models - Dell 6420, Lenovo T470, Lenovo T14 gen 1 and gen 2, Lenovo Carbon X1 gen 9 with Windows 10 Pro 21H2 witch all current updates. And different SED disks WD SDBQNTY-256G, Samsung...
  7. Bitlocker - Hardware encryption

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Cannot get Hardware Encryption with BitLocker eDrive working Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot get Hardware Encryption with BitLocker eDrive working Samsung 980 Pro 1TB: Issue I am failing to hardware encrypt my Samsung SSDs with BitLocker eDrive. I tried this with a 980 Pro 1TB and a 970 Evo 1TB neither of those worked. Hardware used Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS Bios Version 3001 CPU Ryzen 9 3900X RAM 2x CMW32GX4M2C3200C16...
  9. Bitlocker hardware encryption

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker hardware encryption: Im thinking to setup bitlocker but I still dont fully understand how it works. The software encryption part seems simple but how does bitlocker works with the SSD's hardware encryption? There are some articles about how bitlocker trusting the SSD's encryption that had...
  10. TURN ON BITLOCKER DRIVE ENCRYPTION

in Windows 10 Customization
    TURN ON BITLOCKER DRIVE ENCRYPTION: hi, How and where to enable bitlocker to encrypt system drive. And make a copy of the bitlocker recovery key? concerned, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-on-bitlocker-drive-encryption/86a9cedd-8a30-47a6-bea1-ed58984a753f

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker edrive windows system image

2. enable edrive windows 10

3. manage-bde 0x803100b2

4. msi bazooka v2 edrive