Windows 10: Impression of OS 10 to date?

Discus and support Impression of OS 10 to date? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I may be new to this Forum, however I get the impression from the number and variety of posts, that 10 has been rushed through and has too many flaws.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by willington, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Impression of OS 10 to date?

I may be new to this Forum, however I get the impression from the number and variety of posts, that 10 has been rushed through and has too many flaws.

This may have been that MS CEO demanded too short a timescale, Investor pressure, or the Code writers @ MS are just not up-to scratch?

I for one just can't afford to spend hours each day wasting my time trying to patch over/work around flaws which MS should have thought about, tested and fixed ................before they released their OS.

I didn't anticpate that 10 would be perfect immediately, but I did expect less issues than when 8 was released. Yes, 10 will work fine immediately for 95% of all users...but is only 95% acceptable?

10 was supposed to be the best of 7 and 8.1. What I am seeing so far is some great ideas, poor communications and poor customer service. Dare I say it....so far worse than 8.1 and Vista?

:)

willington, Aug 11, 2015

2. is anyone out there genuinely impressed with this os.

I am genuinely impressed by the Windows Phone OS, because I think about and enjoy what it CAN do and don't spend much time thinking about the things it doesn't do at this time. I've made some adjustments and created some workarounds for some things (I
    have no concerns about syncing my Contacts & Appointments to the web and I've worked out way to handle my tasks to my satisfaction - and one that is actually superior to my old way of handling tasks).

While I like the idea of tethering, I never actually had much need to tether to my phone and computer when I used windows mobile. I am usually in a place where I can connect to a wifi network, so tethering is not a big requirement for me. I recognize that
    other users may have a more urgent need for tethering. If this were an important requirement for me I'd either get a different phone - one that allows for tethering; or I'd carry around one of my old windows mobile 6.x phones (that tethers just fine).

I couldn't really care less about mass storage for non music files. My workaround is to use Sugar Sync on my computer. My important folders and files are being automatically synced to my Sugar Sync account and it is quite easy to navigate to my Sugar Sync
    account from my phone to download the files I need when I need them. This actually makes it easier for me than the days when I carried around a windows mobile phone and spent hours trying to think about and install all the files I thought I'd need when I was
    going out of town for a week. Now my data is stored in the cloud and I can get it from my phone at my leisure or as my needs change.

I'm looking forward to MANGO when I'll be able to install and use my own ringtone on my phone, but this is not a deal breaker for me. I don't really care for most of the ringtones that are on my Samsung Focus, but most of the time I've got ringtones turned
    off and rely on vibrate to let me know when a phone call is coming in. Nonetheless, one of the first things I'll do after MANGO is installed on my phone is copy my favorite ringtones over to the phone (I've got about 5 ringtones that I like to use).

I really miss categories for contacts and not being able to search by company (and other data elements) in contacts. In fact, the limited searching for contacts and not being able to search for appointments is my biggest annoyance with Windows Phone 7.

I haven't had any problems opening .eml files (these are forwarded email messages) on my windows phone 7. A few weeks ago I ran several tests with some friends on this issue and confirmed that eml files opened fine on my phone. The files that won't open on
    my phone are .msg files, but I've hardly ever received any forwarded email in that format. I'm wondering why you can't open .eml files on your phone and would be interested in learning more about your issue with these files.

Universal volume control is annoying, but not a major obstacle for me.

Windows Phone 7 is built around, dependent on, and focused on cloud-based services. Changing this focus would require a fundamental shift in focus, which I don't see happening with Mango or any time in the near future (if ever).

Mango brings a lot of enhanced functionality with it and it does address just a few of the [minor] items in your list, but if you are still so very unhappy with your phone, you may really need to look into getting a different phone/OS that will better meet
    your needs. I'm sorry for your disappointment, but this is just a cellphone and there's really no reason to strap yourself down with a phone that is disappointing to you when there are lots of other options available to you.

Julie fka profjulie, Aug 11, 2015
  3. is anyone out there genuinely impressed with this os.

I think it's alright...

The slick UI makes you want to keep using it. I definitely find that getting something a done is a lot quicker with wp7 than it was with my old wm6.5. That being said... there are still a LOT of basic things that it cannot do.

The biggest disappointment for me is the lack of control the user is given over the file system, and the fact that the file system cannot be accessed by other USB reading devices. e.g. I used to plug my old phone into my home radio, car radio and tv in order
    to consume media.

WP7 represents a major leap backwards in that regard. Whoever made the design decision to lock down the OS like this should get the sack in my opinion.

Aceofspades25, Aug 11, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Impression of OS 10 to date?

Not sure I want to ask or not.. but here goes?? What flaws are you referring to?

Elaborate please..

Jeff

BunnyJ, Aug 11, 2015
  5. satchmo Win User
    I have had only good experience with Windows 10 so far, but the upgrade process did cause me some grief.

The automatic upgrade process never happened because of a corrupt file, so I had to manually install it.

I had to download a driver from the manufacturer for a wireless USB adapter.

Otherwise, it's been a smooth migration.

satchmo, Aug 11, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Well.. given all of the possible PC hardware system configuration and such.. 95% would be very impressive.

BunnyJ, Aug 11, 2015
  7. owensdj Win User
    I've upgraded to Windows 10 and then done a fresh re-install of 10 on two machines as well as kept up with what people are saying on a few tech forums like this one. Windows 10 looks like a home-run to me. Very fast, very stable, and has some nice features I didn't get on Windows 7, such as Virtual Desktops. The Start menu works better than it did on 7, and I like having the live tile interface in Start. The Task Manager and File Explorer are both improved. The Continuum feature is huge for people with 2-in-1 devices such as a Microsoft Surface.

I think Microsoft's mistake was assuming the average user could do an operating system upgrade without some of them botching the process. Look at how many people thought they could get the Media Creation Tool and do a fresh install of Windows 10 using their 7 or 8.1 Product Key. Their Windows 10 install wouldn't activate, and of course they blame Microsoft. As far as that goes, in-place upgrades often times end up with poor results even when done correctly. Too many users let their Windows install get riddled with malware or turn off the machine without a proper shut down. That often results in problems in the upgraded Windows. Maybe Microsoft should have strongly recommended a fresh reinstall, but I guess they didn't want to discourage upgrades.

owensdj, Aug 11, 2015
  8. seek Win User

The only problem I've had with it was the activation of the product but that was only my fault because I didn't follow the installation process right.

9. here goes...:

1. I have a desktop (8.1) and a laptop (upgraded to 10 last week). Same MS password and Registered e/mail address. Both worked fine until yesterday. Then my laptop wouldn't recognise my MS password, would only let me log-in provided if I was connected to the Internet. Connected then to the Internet after my MS password was reset. My desktop wouldn't then recognise the new MS password (but would recognise the old MS password) but my laptop did accept the new password. 8 hours later, my desktop would only open with the new MS password.

2. Today my laptop wouldn't recognise my new MS password.

3. MS support said that only one password was all that was needed for all my devices. But to test it, they said that they could see my screen and run through it. They could not have seen my screen as the laptop was switched off and not connected to the Internet and couldn't log on.!

4. MS support then telephoned me and gave me step by step instructions what to do. I questioned the Advisor as the instruction he gave was to effectively wipe my hard drives clean. He insisted that 8.1 would be there and my system restored. he was wrong, I now only have a PC with only a BIOS on it!

5. MS support told me that "it's not their problem and should go back to the shop, where I had bought the laptop from 3 years ago, complain to them and get them to fix the problems.

Friends have reported to me similar issues and additional faults such as losing Administrator status and not being able to read their own files on their sole use pc's as they weren't Administrators.

Is this enough flaws to be concerned about? *chuckle

willington, Aug 11, 2015
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    I was referring to issues with the OS and not using an MS account. Functions and features..

BunnyJ, Aug 11, 2015
  11. It's rather difficult trying the functions and features when the 'flaw' wont let you get to try them! *chuckle

willington, Aug 11, 2015
  12. toadstool Win User
    Yes I agree I also was locked out for the same reason it would not take correct MS password I managed to get a reset luckily it would have totally upset me if I had to reinstall and find I no longer have my Original OS let alone the Upgrade thanks to MS staff instructions and now they wont help you is shameful!

toadstool, Aug 11, 2015
  13. XweAponX Win User

Actually I am having a fairly positive experience with it, and I was even able to install my extremely olllld Brother HL-1230 Laser Printer and my HP Scanner. For the Brother Printer, I had to enable 16-bit support, which is still in the 32 bit version.

I always use the 32 bit versions for myself, but the 64 bit version updated a Windows 7 machine magnificently, I browsed the net for an installer disk and found an untouched ISO.

XweAponX, Aug 11, 2015
  14. pparks1 Win User
    My experiences have been pretty positive, and no problems with my MS accounts or my local accounts.

Considering the millions, upon millions of users out there, I think overall things are sitting pretty good.

pparks1, Aug 11, 2015
  15. Bazz Win User
    Well I have updated my Desktop and had a positive experience, small problem that is now sorted and is running great.

I have also upgraded my friends laptop because of my positive experience.

This is where the problems start, bear in mind this laptop has the windows 10 icon on the desktop get me get me get me.
    Upgraded it will not open, we see the logo for a few secs and then nothing.

Luckily I had taken a sys image before the upgrade otherwise this friend of mine would now have a dead laptop that would cost hard earned penny's to correct.

I have now put the 7 image back and all is well.

So it seems this can really cost you everything if you cannot get it to boot and restore your previous os.

So what I am saying is that if he had done this upgrade without contacting me first this laptop would now be a very expensive door stop.

Thema:

1. Impression of OS 10 to date? - Similar Threads - Impression date

2. Laptop fanlarına etki edemiyorum! - I can't impress laptop fans!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop fanlarına etki edemiyorum! - I can't impress laptop fans!: TR:Merhaba, ben laptop MSI GF63 RC kullanıyorum. Windows 10'dan Windows 11'e geçiş yaptım. Fakat MSI'in Dragon Center isminde bir yazılımı var. Ve bu yazılımla birlikte fanları hızlı ve yavaş olarak çalıştırabiliyorum. Fakat Windows 11'den sonra Turbo çalışmıyor. Yani...
  3. Laptop fanlarına etki edemiyorum! - I can't impress laptop fans!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop fanlarına etki edemiyorum! - I can't impress laptop fans!: TR:Merhaba, ben laptop MSI GF63 RC kullanıyorum. Windows 10'dan Windows 11'e geçiş yaptım. Fakat MSI'in Dragon Center isminde bir yazılımı var. Ve bu yazılımla birlikte fanları hızlı ve yavaş olarak çalıştırabiliyorum. Fakat Windows 11'den sonra Turbo çalışmıyor. Yani...
  4. Co-pilot Impresses

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Co-pilot Impresses: I decided to try a wee experiment with Co-pilot. The result honestly was quite impressive... Even 'sounds' as I actually would.Selecting "Compose", I submitted the following:Why it is so rewarding taking my Therapy Dog to visit at facilities or work at special events?This was...
  5. Co-pilot Impresses

Co-pilot Impresses: I decided to try a wee experiment with Co-pilot. The result honestly was quite impressive... Even 'sounds' as I actually would.Selecting "Compose", I submitted the following:Why it is so rewarding taking my Therapy Dog to visit at facilities or work at special events?This was...
  6. Actually we're using PACS where we need thumb impression of patients , for this purposes we...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Actually we're using PACS where we need thumb impression of patients , for this purposes we...: I have installed drivers but it showing connected but not scanning finger impression. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/actually-were-using-pacs-where-we-need-thumb/8c191bb4-251e-4f7f-8129-301e5fc81679
  7. Actually we're using PACS where we need thumb impression of patients , for this purposes we...

Actually we're using PACS where we need thumb impression of patients , for this purposes we...: I have installed drivers but it showing connected but not scanning finger impression. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/actually-were-using-pacs-where-we-need-thumb/8c191bb4-251e-4f7f-8129-301e5fc81679
  8. how do i install steam on a new laptop with win 11 so far i am not impressed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i install steam on a new laptop with win 11 so far i am not impressed: purchased a new laptop and so far i am not impressed with win11 I am trying to install steam on it and it will not even open the file to install...
  9. how do i install steam on a new laptop with win 11 so far i am not impressed

how do i install steam on a new laptop with win 11 so far i am not impressed: purchased a new laptop and so far i am not impressed with win11 I am trying to install steam on it and it will not even open the file to install...
  10. Windows 11 fails to impress Steam users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 fails to impress Steam users: Yesterday we took a look at some comparative benchmarking tests on identical PCs with one running Windows 10 and the other running Windows 11. The results showed that there was not a significant performance upgrade attached to the newer operating system. Today, we are...