Windows 10: Improve performance on netbook

Discus and support Improve performance on netbook in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 insider 14385 64-bit on a 6 year old netbook with Atom N455 and want to know if there is more room for improving performance.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by derek10, Jul 10, 2016.

1. derek10 Win User

Improve performance on netbook

I have Windows 10 insider 14385 64-bit on a 6 year old netbook with Atom N455 and want to know if there is more room for improving performance.
    Currently it performs quite good, battery is good too, even faster than Win 7 in some circumstances, but there is some lag opening start menu and taskbar panels and using the start menu.
    Swimming through tutorials I've done this

Software wise:
    I have disabled all animations
    I have uninstalled all unused apps
    I have removed almost all start menu tiles
    I have disabled all unnecessary services
    I have cleaned all junk with CCleaner.
    All drivers updated (even when they are old)
    I want to disable Cortana but I don't know how, seems to be changed from 1511 and all tutorials are now useless here.
    I would want to disable desktop compositing but I know is not possible. It sometimes eats up CPU.

Hardware wise
    Upgraded to 2GB RAM
    Replaced HDD with an SSD. This is far the best thing I've done.

Is there something more that I've overlooked?

Thank you

:)

derek10, Jul 10, 2016
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Dell (Inspiron-3137) Netbook, running "s-l-o-w"

Hi Robert,

It is possible that your Netbook is running too slow due to corrupted Windows system files or too many applications/files were installed. To assist you better, we'd like to know if you've tried uninstalling unused applications and delete temporary files.

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps in this article on how to improve computer performance in Windows

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jul 10, 2016
  3. Improve PC performance

Hey thanks. I think I'll have to hire someone who knows what they're doing.

diane91752, Jul 10, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

When you say you have upgraded to 2GB I was amazed you could even run W10 at 64bit with less than 2GB!! 4GB would be much better for a 64bit W10 OS.

philc43, Jul 10, 2016
  5. derek10 Win User
    Oh the memory was upgraded under Windows XP 2 years ago (I've tried lots of OSes, ranging from Windows XP Home to Windows 10, Windows 7 Starter (the original OS that came with it), various Linux distros, before finally settling with Windows 10 64).
    The SSD upgrade was more recent (a week ago). It obviously mostly improved OS startup time and apps responsiveness.

2GB is the max memory allowed by the Atom N455. Anyway I can open Word, Excel (Office 2016 64-bit), Chrome (64-bit) with some heavy sites, and a couple of Metro apps and still memory is under 2GB without apparent paging and lagging.

Thank you

derek10, Jul 10, 2016
  6. smirk24 Win User
    smirk24, Jul 10, 2016
  7. derek10 Win User
    Improve performance on netbook [​IMG]

That scan just advises me to get a new 2GB RAM and a SSD....... Which I did LOL

About tcp1323Opts. That seems to be som,ething about network.. which works fine

derek10, Jul 10, 2016
  8. ballinout Win User

Yeah Ram is something that always helps. Weather it's for video or just hardware.

ballinout, Jul 12, 2016
  9. smirk24 Win User
    Crucial memory also tells you how much ram you can instal, tcp1323Opts actually makes a difference when diskmark benchmarking so if you want to ask how to improve performance with tweaks and what not theres no way besides upgrading hardware but there are optimizations and tweaks that free up resources and turn off delays so when you ask a question and you get an answer be greatful for what you get or dont ask and with an ssd, disable superfetcher and prefetcher turn off windows search ,basically you want to turn off settings that involve writing to the ssd as much as possible because the more writing to an ssd you do the less the life of the ssd you will have so keep the os on the ssd but move the folders to a mechanical drive (music,pictures,videos,games,temp files,programs) if you dont believe then thats your loss

smirk24, Jul 14, 2016
  10. smirk24 Win User
    Also your motherboard has to support 3gbps hard drives or your wasting your time.

Or mother boards that support 6gbps

smirk24, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Improve performance on netbook - Similar Threads - Improve performance netbook

2. Will a graphics card improve gaming performance?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will a graphics card improve gaming performance?: So I have an Optiplex 990, intel i5 2500, and it's horrendously slow when I pull up ANY kind of game, the FPS goes to 3, or sometimes less than one frame per second. I don't think this is a problem with my desktop because its performance in normal use does not match up to...
  3. Does Readyboost improve performance?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Does Readyboost improve performance?: Hi Microsoft, Sorry this is an account created only for this purpose of asking this question as i wanted my privacy. I purchased a laptop recently and it is a bit slow, so i checked a few ways to boost it and i found out aboutreadyboost. I have been using readyboost for...
  4. trying to improve performance-

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    trying to improve performance-: my computer is running too slowly. when i searched help, i was told to chesk fo the latest updates when i clicked on that I got an error message sayin the server terminated because it enclountereed a "client request loop". Now I cant get past that step in the tips to...
  5. Improve the performance of my PC

Improve the performance of my PC: I recently noticed that my PC ran a lot slower and could run fewer apps than before. I opened the task manager while having no apps runningeven in the system tray, and I noticed I was using around 50% of my 8GB of RAM. I scrolled through the list of processes and background...
  6. Improved performance on start up.

Improved performance on start up.: This is an observation. I recently ugdated to version 2004 from 1903. With a problem from the start I was advised to recover back to the previous version. This I did and much to my surprise the boot up and windows start is back to where it was when I first used Windows 10....
  7. Improving your computer performance

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Improving your computer performance: what are the three components that most affect computer performance? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/improving-your-computer-performance/5b35f375-aa6b-41d0-b1b2-4baa76f4c164
  8. Improve performance

Improve performance: Very slow pc. How do I improve performance? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/improve-performance/870b638c-8473-4024-b0c2-297850f670c4
  9. Performance Improvement Needed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Performance Improvement Needed: New Windows 10 user cannot figure out how to run performance improvements functions (defrag, remove temp files, remove cookies, etc.). Please help. Thank you 77564
  10. Netbook

in Windows 10 Support
    Netbook: Upgraded my Samsung n145plus netbook to w10. Finally metro apps work at full screen at 1024x600 without shoody resolution hacks [img] The start menu is a bit rough, and the new search feature takes a time to start. The cortana thingy doesn't work on my region. The new...