Windows 10: Improve the launching of applications and the way Windows handles positioning in...

Discus and support Improve the launching of applications and the way Windows handles positioning in... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; In a multi-monitor setup, an app can launch on any monitor. I'm using Visual Studio 2019 as an example here, but it happens to all applications. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by b33rdy, Apr 6, 2019.

1. b33rdy Win User

Improve the launching of applications and the way Windows handles positioning in...

In a multi-monitor setup, an app can launch on any monitor. I'm using Visual Studio 2019 as an example here, but it happens to all applications.

I have three monitors, and launching VS meant that the app (the new open project/ clone or checkout window) opened on my primary monitor (where the mouse was) in the centre. Exactly where I'd expect it.

A few minutes later (after installing an extension), I closed, waited for the installation, and re-opened.

Only this time, it appears on a different monitor and behind other applications – my mouse, if that’s relevant, is still on the primary monitor. This behaviour is consistent in its inconsistency. In that the application can launch on seemingly any monitor.

This has been a problem in Windows for years. And while it can appear to be a minor issue, it’s actually one of the biggest productivity issues lurking in Windows today.

The reason is simple if you continue looking at other examples of poorly managed windows positioning.

A multi-monitor setup made from DisplayPort monitors have a fundamental problem. From what I can gather, when a monitor goes into sleep mode it’s like it’s being unplugged. So, when the computer comes out of sleep mode, each – three in this case – monitors are seen as being freshly plugged in.

This means that all of the applications that had been carefully positioned are now scattered across the monitor setup in a random order.

Now as it turns out, due to the layout of the graphics cards, the monitors are physically ordered in position 2 - 1 - 3 according to Windows Display, with monitor 1 being the primary or main monitor.

Now, when I have Slack snapped and taking 50% of monitor 2 and a snapped floating window from Visual Studio taking the remaining 50%. Visual Studio taking up all of monitor 1 and then browsers and command windows (cmder.net obviously!) and explorer etc on monitor 3 in various forms of floating window or maximised, when Windows returns from sleep this carefully curated suite of applications are randomised in their position and their size.

Now I spend the time re-arranging everything back to how it was…how I’m productive. Only I need to do this every single time my computer sleeps. Every time I go for a coffee, answer the phone, talk to a colleague. Every single time.

:)

b33rdy, Apr 6, 2019
  2. BrenoLuna Win User

Suggestion: Launching multiple applications from the Start Menu

Hi,

First and foremost, I would rather have sent the note below directly to the Microsoft Support team for their deliberation. Once such communication channel could not be located, I'll have it publicly stated on this Community section.

That said, I understand that, currently, a user willing to launch multiple applications from their Start Menu/Mosaic has to go through a two-step procedure, which must be repeated for each desired app: 1) bring up the Start Menu, and 2) click on the application
    icon to be launched.

I believe the usability of the Windows 10 o.s. would be improved if the number of steps to achieve that goal was cut down. While there are many options to implement such improvement, my suggestion would be the hold down of the 'ctrl' key while clicking/tapping
    the application icons; each application would load in the background while the Start Menu remained visible to allow subsequent interaction. This approach seems intuitive enough, as it emulates the feature used on Desktop and File Explorer for selecting multiple
    files.

With thanks for the attention and best regards,

Breno

BrenoLuna, Apr 6, 2019
  3. Can't launch any applications

Hi,

This error message will show if the application or program that you are trying to open was been blocked by Windows Defender SmartScreen. Having said that, we suggest that you disable Windows Defender SmartScreen by following these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Windows Defender Security Center.
    • Click on App & browser control.
    • Click on Off in the following options:
      • Check apps and files.
      • SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge.
      • SmartScreen for Windows Store apps.
    • SmartScreen is now completely disabled. If you'd like to still receive a warning when a potentially malicious file or program is detected, you can choose Warn in each SmartScreen option.

Let us know if the steps above helped you to resolve the issue.

Janeane Cru, Apr 6, 2019
  4. Improve the launching of applications and the way Windows handles positioning in...

WD Mybook Application won't launch

Hi James,

Problem launching the WD MyBook application could be due to incompatibility or could be caused by a software conflict. Since you've already reached out to WD support, we would like to know the following to help us isolate and address the problem:

• Were there any changes made or updates performed before the issue started?
    • What were the troubleshooting steps have you tried to far?
    • Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the WD MyBook application?

In the meantime, please try to disable the firewall and antivirus software on your computer. Once done, launch the WD application again and see if it works.

Update us with the result.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Apr 6, 2019
Thema:

Improve the launching of applications and the way Windows handles positioning in...

1. Improve the launching of applications and the way Windows handles positioning in... - Similar Threads - Improve launching applications

2. Application will not launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Application will not launch: I've downloaded a 64 Bit application called Siril a few weeks ago and it has been working fine however today when I tried opening it, I got no response. I have restarted my laptop and uninstalled/installed the app. When I click on the app, the loading sign on my cursor...
  3. Application will not launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Application will not launch: I've downloaded a 64 Bit application called Siril a few weeks ago and it has been working fine however today when I tried opening it, I got no response. I have restarted my laptop and uninstalled/installed the app. When I click on the app, the loading sign on my cursor...
  4. Is there any way to save window position on program launch?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way to save window position on program launch?: Hey!I think the best way for me to explain what I want to do and what I need help with is through an example.Let's say you are running Chrome and you are running Mozilla at the same time.Using Aero Snap you can divide your screen to 50% left side and 50% right side and let's...
  5. Is there any way to save window position on program launch?

Is there any way to save window position on program launch?: Hey!I think the best way for me to explain what I want to do and what I need help with is through an example.Let's say you are running Chrome and you are running Mozilla at the same time.Using Aero Snap you can divide your screen to 50% left side and 50% right side and let's...
  6. Is there a way to 'force' applications be launched entirely within screen?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to 'force' applications be launched entirely within screen?: Probably there is no solution for the below, I ask it nonetheless.When launching applications, e.g. Excel, when launched a 2nd time - i.e. Excel running twice - then I always have to shift-drag the application in order to have the application displayed entirely. Windowed...
  7. Is there a way to 'force' applications be launched entirely within screen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to 'force' applications be launched entirely within screen?: Probably there is no solution for the below, I ask it nonetheless.When launching applications, e.g. Excel, when launched a 2nd time - i.e. Excel running twice - then I always have to shift-drag the application in order to have the application displayed entirely. Windowed...
  8. Is there a way to 'force' applications be launched entirely within screen?

9. Is there any way to lock a window in a certain position?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to lock a window in a certain position?: I want to record a certain window, but it requires an specific angle in order to do so. I have to resize the window and position it in a set position for the recording to go smoother, but the problem is every time I close said window, it opens on full screen as if I didn't do...
  10. Windows Re-positioning Applications

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows Re-positioning Applications: I can't help with drivers ... but there's a way to deal with these things. AutoHotKey let's you define hot keys that can execute a variety of functions. It will even allow you to move windows around on screen. It's a full programming language, too. It won't stop your...