Windows 10: Improve Windows I/O in a VM - from Windows OR Linux Hosts

Discus and support Improve Windows I/O in a VM - from Windows OR Linux Hosts in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there I/O performance is often a problem with Virtual Machines - especially if you are using programs like Vmware with "Virtual" Formatted HDD's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Mar 14, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Improve Windows I/O in a VM - from Windows OR Linux Hosts

Hi there

I/O performance is often a problem with Virtual Machines - especially if you are using programs like Vmware with "Virtual" Formatted HDD's such as vdmk - especially with "Bog standard" Spinners..

A better solution by far is if you have the space and 2 HDD's (minimum) available is to pass these through as RAW physical HDD's and then use the NATIVE I/O subsystem of your Guest VM.

For example pass through 2 HDD's from Linux or Windows Hosts to a Windows Guest -- you might be running a Guest VM as a server -- no reason why servers shouldn't be VM's (that way people can access the VM / shared files without touching or even having an account on the HOST at all). Now create Windows Storage spaces from the HDD - this is a very efficient I/O system for Windows and you can set it up as a "Software RAID" type of system. The HDD's don't even have to be of the same size for Windows storage spaces.

If using a Linux Guest from a Windows Host then simply format the 2 HDD's as Ext4 and use the software RAID system in Linux - mdadm.

For Linux Host with Linux VM probably the best way is to simply SHARE the HDD's via Samba and just run the (Virtual) OS from an SSD.

For Windows run the Virtual OS from an SSD - it's the DATA drives I'm concerned with such as file shares for multi-media etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 14, 2017

2. External Hard Drive not in File Explorer

Plug in the drive and then boot the VM, although there's a possibility that the VM layer is causing issues so look at the host hardware that is accessible to the VM.

Alternately do as I recommended above i.e. "boot from a Linux Live USB/DVD with the drive already attached to your PC and powered on". That way you're booting directly into Linux and your drive may be accessible. No guarantees though.

RobertJWin, Mar 14, 2017
  3. Replacing Windows 10 on host with Windows 10 in VM

I have a laptop I bought with Windows 8.1 on it, which I upgraded to Windows 10. Now for some reasons I need to replace the host with Linux but I would like to keep my Win10 also to run VS2015. Since I have a valid license for the Win10, can I transfer
    it to a virtual machine? I would keep a Linux host and a Win10 guest on the same machine. If this is possible, which VM software can handle this? I prefer VirtualBox but am open to using others.

HarishVenk, Mar 14, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

On a related note, I found writing from a windows VM to a windows host external drive using hyper-v can be really slow eg 1-2 MB/s.

However if you go to network sharing centre and setup permissions for network sharing as you would to share any folders/files over network, then if you go to host and click on network in file explorer, you will see the shared folders in VM.

Then you can copy files from network VM drives to external host drives at a much faster rate (at least 10 times faster or more).

cereberus, Mar 15, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Ho there

even that is only around 20Mb/s --- on even bog standard HDD's with a bit of software RAID you could get up to around 200 Mb/s or more !!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Improve Windows I/O in a VM - from Windows OR Linux Hosts - Similar Threads - Improve Linux Hosts

2. Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux: I have a Dell system that came pre-installed with Windows.I have replaced my host OS with Linux, and I wish to run Windows in a VM. I downloaded a Windows image from Microsoft, but it is expiring. The box does not have a license key printed on it, and the VM does not detect...
  3. Graphical installer for Arch Linux - VM really fast on Windows hosts

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Graphical installer for Arch Linux - VM really fast on Windows hosts: Hi folks for those who want to try Arch Linux as a VM (or even as a Host) but have always felt a bit intimidated by it - there's an easy graphical installer you can use . It will ensure also latest packages and kernel is installed (currently 5.9.8-arch1-1). The installer...
  4. Running scheduled jobs e.g hourly on Linux VM / WSL / Host Linux

Running scheduled jobs e.g hourly on Linux VM / WSL / Host Linux: Hi folks for those who have NAS (Linux) type servers / Linux VM's or Host Linux systems it's dead easy to set up jobs that run say every hour or whatever - use for this would be scheduled backups etc etc. I've got a simple 1 line example here of running an email to myself...
  5. Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host: Hi folks I created a working bridge to a physical NIC as per : [[email protected] hrafn]# ifconfig enp2s0f1 0.0.0.0 [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl addbr br0 [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl addif br0 enp2s0f1 <==== one of my NIC physical interfaces - [[email protected]...
  6. VMWare - enabling 3D and HW acceleratio(Linux Hosts with Windows VM's

VMWare - enabling 3D and HW acceleratio(Linux Hosts with Windows VM's: Hi there clicking the 3D / hardware acceleration doesn't always work to get hardware acceleration and 3D to work on VM's with Linux hosts. A "get around" that usually works is to manually add this line to the .vmx (VMWare configuration file) : mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers...
  7. RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's)

RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's): Hi folks for those using RAID 0 especially on devices with unequal sizes you won't be able to access your array after kernel 5.3.3 (whether as host or in a VM) This applies whatever the Windows Host virtualisation you are using - whether VBOX / VMWare or HYPER-V. Also...
  8. Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM: Hi there I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host. However I can't attach a USB drive with a Linux file system (XFS) to...
  9. vmware Linux HOST W10 VM can't launch apps from taskbar

vmware Linux HOST W10 VM can't launch apps from taskbar: Hi there W10 X-64 pro (build 10547) and vmware workstation rel 12 - in full screen mode can't launch apps from taskbar. Works fine in Windowed mode This happens on LINUX Hosts - (Opensuse, Centos and Mint) Cheers jimbo 23751
  10. Unrar - extract / list .RAR files in Linux (VM or Host)

Unrar - extract / list .RAR files in Linux (VM or Host): Hi there. some of you running Linux VM's might want to be able to UNRAR some RAR files directly in Linux without having to access the files on your Windows system and extract / view via 7Z or other programs. Other types of archives such as zip etc are usually managed by...