Windows 10: Improving high-DPI experience in GDI based Desktop Apps

Discus and support Improving high-DPI experience in GDI based Desktop Apps in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In recent years, High-DPI displays have become common. Having a lot more pixels to display your application on seems like a simple recipe for crisper... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, May 19, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Improving high-DPI experience in GDI based Desktop Apps

Read more: Improving the high-DPI experience in GDI based Desktop Apps - Building Apps for Windows

:)

Brink, May 19, 2017

2. Regarding High DPI Scaling Behavior In Windows 10 (p)

Hi David,

High-DPI scaling improves the way Windows 10 handles automatic scaling per-monitor, which reduces the amount of blur or incorrect size for legacy apps. Here are the three scaling options:

• System (Enhanced) will make the text and interface look crispier and elements will be sized correctly. This new option will override the way that a particular app handles the DPI scaling, which can result in interface elements and text
      being blurry, and allows Windows 10 to take care of the scaling.
    • Application used to be referred as "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings." Using this option will force the app to run on a per-monitor DPI awareness.
    • When you enabled System, Windows 10 will stretch the interface, bitmap elements, and text will be blurry. This is the standard way Windows 10 handles scaling.

The new DPI scaling settings are only available for traditional desktop (GDI-based) apps. Windows Store apps cannot be configured with these options because they're already optimized for high pixel density displays.

Should you need additional information, do let us know.

Jennifer Bri, May 19, 2017
  3. Louie Del Win User
    What does the new DPI options do?

Hi,

There are lots of improvements and upgrade made in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, this includes the new DPI options with enhanced feature. To give you an overview of the settings under
    Override high DPI scaling behavior, you can check the following settings and its effects:

Improving high-DPI experience in GDI based Desktop Apps [​IMG]

• The Application setting was previously referred to as "Disable display scaling on high-DPI settings". It also forces the process to run in per-monitor DPI awareness mode. Windows will be prompted not to bitmap stretch UI
      (User Interface) from the exe in question when the DPI changes.
    • The System setting will bitmap stretch the UI when the DPI changes.
    • The System (Enhanced) setting is for applications that are GDI-based Windows or Graphics Device Interface (GDI) scaling. It will DPI scale the application on a per-monitor basis. This means that application will definitely become per-monitor
      DPI aware.

Feel free to respond if you need more help.

Louie Del, May 19, 2017
Thema:

Improving high-DPI experience in GDI based Desktop Apps

1. Improving high-DPI experience in GDI based Desktop Apps - Similar Threads - Improving high DPI

2. High DPI Scaling Issue with Power BI Desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    High DPI Scaling Issue with Power BI Desktop: I've started experiencing a high DPI scaling issue for the past two months with just one app on Windows 10 20H2, which ironically is developed by Microsoft: Power BI Desktop. I have HP Elitebook 840 G3 laptop connected to Eizo monitor with 2560x1440 resolution and 150%...
  3. Microsoft starts improving web apps experience on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft starts improving web apps experience on Windows 10: Microsoft has now started installing WebView2 runtime on some Windows 10 PCs to improve the web apps experience when using certain services, such as Office apps, Outlook, and Microsoft Teams. The big idea here is to improve the quality of web apps. But web applications...
  4. Microsoft 365 improving Office apps experience for Mac

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft 365 improving Office apps experience for Mac: In this atypical year, many of us have discovered a new sense of appreciation for our computers as critical tools to get work done. Now more than ever, we are all looking for new ways to be productive on our laptops and desktops. At Microsoft, we are committed to delivering...
  5. Issues with high DPI and iTunes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with high DPI and iTunes: Hi, Is there anything I can do to alleviate some of the visual issues I am getting with iTunes and a few other programs like Chrome where text and fonts are appearing blurred, bleached out or only partially visible. The text is unreadable for any one or a combination of...
  6. How to improve Windows 10 Multi Desktop Experience.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to improve Windows 10 Multi Desktop Experience.: Hi, Have using windows 10 virtual desktop for many years. But experience is not that smooth when switching between Virtual Desktop. Is there any way to improve it.. Thanks....
  7. Store app high-DPI override

in Windows 10 Customization
    Store app high-DPI override: I develop a desktop app called Expresii, which uses GPU for realtime processing. It is made into an Store app via Desktop App Converter. I recently added high-DPI support, but since higher DPI also increases the processing / memory needed for rendering, some users would find...
  8. High DPI scaling

in Windows 10 Support
    High DPI scaling: Hey, I bought a 4k screen yesterday and I have this annoying issue with scaling. In 100% I can't see anything, so the solution is windows scaling. The issue is that a lot of programs doesn't work well with this method and makes the app almost unusable. Example:...
  9. High-DPI Scaling Improvements for Apps in Windows 10 Creators Update

in Windows 10 News
    High-DPI Scaling Improvements for Apps in Windows 10 Creators Update: In the previous blog post about High-dots-per-inch (DPI) scaling improvements, we talk about how desktop applications can be blurry or sized incorrectly when run on high-DPI displays. This is especially noticeable when docking and undocking or when using remoting technologies...
  10. Improved Skype desktop clients for dynamic new chat experi

in Windows 10 News
    Improved Skype desktop clients for dynamic new chat experi: Today we’re excited to announce Skype for Mac 7.0 as well as the preview for the new Skype for Windows – both of which have been redesigned to make it easier to chat and share. If you’re already using Skype on mobile, you’ll recognize some of these changes. We’ve made the...