Windows 10: In Chrome, closed tabs still seem to be holding in memory

Discus and support In Chrome, closed tabs still seem to be holding in memory in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Why does Chrome hold memory for all tabs that were opened, even after tabs are already closed. For example, Task Manager shows 40 tabs in memory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by joe catanese, Apr 4, 2019.

1. In Chrome, closed tabs still seem to be holding in memory

Why does Chrome hold memory for all tabs that were opened, even after tabs are already closed. For example, Task Manager shows 40 tabs in memory while only 12 tabs are currently open.

:)

joe catanese, Apr 4, 2019

2. Google accidentally invents new way to close Chrome browsers

Ha, another thing my old ass Opera 12.17.1863 can do that chrome cant.

For those calming Chrome to be better, point to a proper mouse gesture and tab selecting mechanism like opera (hold RMB and scroll and you scroll through a list of your open tabs, with a preview)

Brusfantomet, Apr 4, 2019
  3. Close all tabs warning disabled after update KB3116900

Hi,

Thank you for providing us the details.

I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + R keys, opens the Run Command.
    • Type inetcpl.cpl and hit Enter.
    • Under General Tab, select Tabs.
    • Select if the Warn me when closing the multiple tabs is
      checked
    Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Apr 4, 2019
  4. In Chrome, closed tabs still seem to be holding in memory

can't close googel chrome ???

There is a setting in Google Chrome that allows it to continue running various tasks in the background after you have closed the browser window. If this is allowed in your Google Chrome settings, then it can indeed be running even when there is no visible
    window. Personally, I don't allow Google Chrome to continue running in the background/ But that is for you to decide. To solve your immediate problem though, I suggest you turn off (don't allow) this option at least temporarily:

1. Start Google Chrome. There should of course be a visible browser window.
    2. Access the Google Chrome menu by clicking on the three dots at the top right corner of the browser window (it's just below the standard Microsoft icons to minimize maximize and close the window).
    3. Select "Settings" from that menu. Some basic Google Chrome settings should be displayed in the browser.
    4. Go to the bottom of the "Basic Settings" page and click on "Advanced".
    5. Locate the "System" group within the "Advanced Settings". Its near the bottom of this second settings page.
    6. One of the "System" settings is "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed".

Turn this option OFF by sliding its little button to the left.
    7. Close the Google Chrome browser.
    There should now be no complaints about Google Chrome still running when you think it isn't.

If you would like to re-enable this feature later, just follow the same 7 Step procedure above.

Of course to re-enable the feature, replace "Turn this option OFF" in Step 6 with "Turn this option
    ON
    ".

I hope this helps.

Christopher Jeffrey Benson, Apr 4, 2019
Thema:

In Chrome, closed tabs still seem to be holding in memory

1. In Chrome, closed tabs still seem to be holding in memory - Similar Threads - Chrome closed tabs

2. Blue Screen When Closing Chrome Tab

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen When Closing Chrome Tab: I often got blue screens when I am closing chrome tabs, especially the last tab.Minidumps: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aok1tqJhZ5WIii8wmH8AMfxaMqeo?e=utLki6Help please, thank you!...
  3. Blue Screen When Closing Chrome Tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue Screen When Closing Chrome Tab: I often got blue screens when I am closing chrome tabs, especially the last tab.Minidumps: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aok1tqJhZ5WIii8wmH8AMfxaMqeo?e=utLki6Help please, thank you!...
  4. Blue Screen When Closing Chrome Tab

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Chrome browser is not memorizing individual tab memories

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chrome browser is not memorizing individual tab memories: My windows 11 laptop has chrome installed and so its tabs are unable to hold back previous data being generated from activity. such as an individual tab has cartoon network game data which is now lost completely when I clicked on that tab. although other tabs have opened...
  6. Chrome browser is not memorizing individual tab memories

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chrome browser is not memorizing individual tab memories: My windows 11 laptop has chrome installed and so its tabs are unable to hold back previous data being generated from activity. such as an individual tab has cartoon network game data which is now lost completely when I clicked on that tab. although other tabs have opened...
  7. Chrome & Edge Tab Crashing Memory Issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Chrome & Edge Tab Crashing Memory Issues: [this post made in another forum but went completely without response] I am regular user of Chrome although I also use Edge too For months, I was seeing Chrome tabs crash, and I did not even have as much as a half dozen open. Edge tabs would also crash when I occasionally...
  8. Chrome & Edge Tab Crashing (Memory Issues)

in Windows 10 Support
    Chrome & Edge Tab Crashing (Memory Issues): I am regular user of Chrome although I also use Edge too For months, I was seeing Chrome tabs crash, and I did not even have as much as a half dozen open. Edge tabs would also crash when I occasionally used that browser. I thought it was related to a dying HDD, so I...
  9. Chrome - No More "Close Other Tabs"

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome - No More "Close Other Tabs": The "Close Other Tabs" option has gone in the latest version of Chrome. I used this quite often to cleanup unused tabs but it seems I'm one of the only 2% of users to use the feature. 143255
  10. After testing win 10 security with EICAR it seems to still hold it in memory as a threat...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    After testing win 10 security with EICAR it seems to still hold it in memory as a threat...: I wonder how I can clear the red X mark on windows security icon and when you hover over it it states "Action Required" ...I carry out the actions required ...it Runs the virus checker and states no viruses however the X in the small icon of the program it mentions...