Windows 10: In Device Manager, why can't you search for device by keyword?

Discus and support In Device Manager, why can't you search for device by keyword? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Pardon my ignorance, I could be wrong, am I missing it? Ctrl+F doesn't work and I don't see a Search or Find. submitted by /u/j---train [link]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/j---train, Nov 18, 2019.

1. In Device Manager, why can't you search for device by keyword?

Pardon my ignorance, I could be wrong, am I missing it? Ctrl+F doesn't work and I don't see a Search or Find.

submitted by /u/j---train
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/j---train, Nov 18, 2019

2. Device Manager Un-Hiding Hidden Devices

When you connect a plug and play device, Windows Plug and Play manager detects it, finds and installs the driver. Device Manager lists the device with a solid icon.

The driver is only removed when you uninstall the device, not simply by disconnecting the device. When the device is disconnected, its driver is still installed. By default, Device Manager only displays connected devices. When you show hidden devices, note the Bluetooth icon you see is semi-transparent (not opaque). That indicates a "non-present" device. Sometimes also called a "ghost" device. The driver is still installed but the device is not currently detected (i.e. not connected).

Device can be disconnected when
    • Device unplugged (e.g. removing a USB device)
    • Turning a device OFF
    • Disabling the device in BIOS (then windows won't detect it) or
    • Device failure

So
    • Check BIOS as suggested
    • Check board connections
    • Can b/t be turned off by a switch? or keyboard combination?
    Also possible the b/t h/w failed

ComputerGeek, Nov 18, 2019
  3. No hardware listed in Device manager?

I don't konw whathappend but in Device manager and in my Network connections there is nothing where there used to be a Modem listed and all my hardware in Device Manager. What happend and how do I fix this?

In Device Manager, why can't you search for device by keyword? What%20the%20Crap.jpg

AphexDreamer, Nov 18, 2019
  4. In Device Manager, why can't you search for device by keyword?

USB devices have yellow marker in device manager under 'Other devices'

Hi Roger,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

• What is the make and model of your devices?

I suggest you to perform the following troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

I suggest you to run hardware and devices troubleshooter and check.

• Press the Windows + X,
      and click on Search.

• Type troubleshooting and select
      Troubleshooting

• Click on Hardware and Sound and select
      Hardware and Devices

• Click on Next to run the troubleshooter

Method 2: Update USB Controllers.

To update the USB Controllers from Device Manager follow these steps.

• Go to Device manager in control panel.

• Select Device manager and a Device Manager window will pop-up.

• Double Click on USB Controllers to expand.

• Right click on the USB Controllers that is listed and select Update.

I hope the information helps. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Aswin_Anand, Nov 18, 2019
Thema:

In Device Manager, why can't you search for device by keyword?

1. In Device Manager, why can't you search for device by keyword? - Similar Threads - Device Manager why

2. Is there a command to tell Device Manager to search for drivers for a device?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is there a command to tell Device Manager to search for drivers for a device?: I run a computer repair business and I see a lot of the same computers come through. I have an MDT server with the most common drivers on it. I don't always deploy images from that server, so when I do a clean install, I'd like to automatically install drivers that I've...
  3. Is there a command to tell Device Manager to search for drivers for a device?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a command to tell Device Manager to search for drivers for a device?: I run a computer repair business and I see a lot of the same computers come through. I have an MDT server with the most common drivers on it. I don't always deploy images from that server, so when I do a clean install, I'd like to automatically install drivers that I've...
  4. Is there a command to tell Device Manager to search for drivers for a device?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why is there no bluetooth on device manager??

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why is there no bluetooth on device manager??: So I was finding for bluetooth on this laptop and so when i opened device manager there will be bluetooth there but why is no bluetooth there? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-there-no-bluetooth-on-device-manager/76508cd6-6a1f-464f-93ad-188643530b5b
  6. Why can't I see any property settings in device manager/devices

Why can't I see any property settings in device manager/devices: See the example file below: This is what I get when I want to check a device for driver updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-see-any-property-settings-in-device/1470ff8b-e946-453c-a0fe-8982c37a8a35
  7. Device manager not searching for updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Device manager not searching for updates: Just installed Windows 10 home today and the device manager won’t search for driver updates. It just stops and says the drivers are up-to date. I tried updating the wireless drivers manual but it’s still not updating. Any ideas how to fix this and I’ve restarted multiple...
  8. Why device manager showing two audio devices?

Why device manager showing two audio devices?: Why device manager showing two audio devices? Nothing connected to laptop. Laptop is not docked. [ATTACH] ThinkPad T490 Microsoft Windows 10 Pro X64...
  9. Why is file explorer not searching by keyword

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is file explorer not searching by keyword: Why is file explorer not searching by keyword https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-file-explorer-not-searching-by-keyword/99ac8768-ad65-4545-99ae-f610efa5c50f"
  10. Can't Find WebCam Device in Device Manager

Can't Find WebCam Device in Device Manager: In Win7 I'd do Device Manager > Imaging Devices > USB 2.0 PC Camera to find my USB WebCam and activate it and de-activate the monitor's built-in camera. But in Win10 Device Manager has no listing for Imaging Devices. [img] Where in Win10 can I enable and disable...