Windows 10: In File Explorer Highlight and Leave Active ONLY The File Name Itself

Discus and support In File Explorer Highlight and Leave Active ONLY The File Name Itself in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In File Explorer in Windows 10 I want to have inactive white space to the right of file/folder names. And I want it globally. What I mean is this: I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SKE, Mar 14, 2019.

1. SKE
    SKE Win User

In File Explorer Highlight and Leave Active ONLY The File Name Itself

In File Explorer in Windows 10 I want to have inactive white space to the right of file/folder names. And I want it globally. What I mean is this:

I do not want to have the area to the right of a file or folder name to be active like it presently is. Presently the area to the right of any file/folder name is highlighted when I hover over that area, and it is thus an active area, where clicking there opens the file or folder to the left (I use single-click functionality). And that area to the right of any file/folder name is active for the full width of the longest file/folder name in that column in that window. I don't want the area to the right of file/folder names to be active like that at all.

In short, and using a specific example, where the blue highlighting in the image below is blue all the way across the line on which the "Documents" text file appears (the blue highlighting being as wide as the folder titled "Backup of My Documents Folder" at the top of that column), I'd like that area to the right of the file name itself to be, instead, inactive and solely white (empty) space (where clicking there does nothing other than to unselect items that otherwise might be highlighted).

Stated differently, if I were to click where the mouse hand icon appears in the below image, I want that to be inactive white space that does not open the file to its left.

How do I configure Windows 10 to set up that as a default, universal behavior? (You're speaking to a dummy here; I'll need step-by-step guidance). Thank you in advance!

Attachment 227345

:)

2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Mar 14, 2019
  3. Unable to highlight files in File Explorer

Hi Ken,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to run System file checker. System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.

Also, see: Fix Windows corruption errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool.

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps.

Abdul_Malik, Mar 14, 2019
  4. In File Explorer Highlight and Leave Active ONLY The File Name Itself

Windows 10 File Explorer doesn't highlight selected file(s) or folder(s)

https://appuals.com/file-explorer-wont-highlight-files-in-windows-10/

In the above post Method 2: Restart File Explorer from Task Manager worked for me.

• Press “Windows + X” Keys and then choose “Task Manager” from the list.
    • Under “Apps”, find “Windows Explorer”.
    • Right click on it and select “Restart”.

Nasir Abbas, Mar 14, 2019
Thema:

In File Explorer Highlight and Leave Active ONLY The File Name Itself

1. In File Explorer Highlight and Leave Active ONLY The File Name Itself - Similar Threads - File Explorer Highlight

2. Does File Explorer no longer highlight search terms in file names?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does File Explorer no longer highlight search terms in file names?: I'm having a problem with search results in File Explorer. After latest Win 11 update on March 2, 2023, File Explorer no longer highlights search terms in file names. Is this feature gone? I relied on that prior to the update and would like to have it back. Might this have...
  3. Does File Explorer no longer highlight search terms in file names?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does File Explorer no longer highlight search terms in file names?: I'm having a problem with search results in File Explorer. After latest Win 11 update on March 2, 2023, File Explorer no longer highlights search terms in file names. Is this feature gone? I relied on that prior to the update and would like to have it back. Might this have...
  4. In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?: In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?For example, I want to find a file with the character string "fund", I type "fund" in the search box and I get thousands of documents that have "fund" somewhere in the text of the document....
  5. In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?: In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?For example, I want to find a file with the character string "fund", I type "fund" in the search box and I get thousands of documents that have "fund" somewhere in the text of the document....
  6. In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Annoying as all !@## File Explorer HIGHLIGHTING entire folder name

Annoying as all !@## File Explorer HIGHLIGHTING entire folder name: I do a lot of work where I am required to rename a lot of folders. When I rename one folder, move to the next to rename it, before I can even type the entire folder name HIGHLIGHTS and I basically have to sit and WAIT for the last folder I updated to finish REFRESHING until I...
  8. File Explorer search of file names only in indexed locations

File Explorer search of file names only in indexed locations: I have many similar files created from templates. They are in an indexed location. When I search in File Explorer they ALL appear in the search results due to their content. Sometimes I want to search through just the file names, not the content, in an indexed location....
  9. File explorer reset by itself

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer reset by itself: Please, after I installed IDM 6.31 build 8, file explorer reset by itself more than one time 119714
  10. Name in File Explorer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Name in File Explorer: Since doing a clean install, my name in File Explorer/Users has changed. It is neither my first nor second name, just the first 5 letters/numbers of my Microsoft login name. It used to show my surname in Windows 7. Is is it possible to change it, please? 24628