Windows 10: In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?

Discus and support In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?For example, I want to find a file with the character string "fund", I type "fund" in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NeilPakenham-Walsh, Feb 4, 2023.

1. In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?

In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?For example, I want to find a file with the character string "fund", I type "fund" in the search box and I get thousands of documents that have "fund" somewhere in the text of the document.

:)

NeilPakenham-Walsh, Feb 4, 2023

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Feb 4, 2023
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Search for Missing files in File Explorer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are looking for a file named “Class” with the length of the file. However, currently File Explorer doesn’t have the option to search the files using the length.

You can follow the steps mentioned below to search for a file in File Explorer using the Size, Kind of file and other options.

1. Press and hold Windows key + E to open
      File Explorer.
    2. Click on This PC on the left pane.
    3. Press F3 key to open Search options.
    4. You can select the Size,
      Kind
      of file and other options and then, search for the file.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 4, 2023
  4. In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?

File explorer search defective

Win 10 build 1990 file explorer search will return list of files if you input the correct name of the file(s) you are looking for and if you enter only the first few characters of the file name it will return a list of every file with names beginning with
    those few characters BUT will NOT return any result if the search characters are not at the front of the file name. ie. if you search for "ab" the results will be a list of files beginning with "ab". But files with names with "ab" in the middle of the name
    eg. "nab.exe" will not be included in search result.

This is contrary to all computing search conventions past and present and should be considered a defect.

Is there a way to rectify this deficiency?

williamtrondl1, Feb 4, 2023
Thema:

In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?

1. In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names? - Similar Threads - file explorer search

2. In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?: In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?For example, I want to find a file with the character string "fund", I type "fund" in the search box and I get thousands of documents that have "fund" somewhere in the text of the document....
  3. In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?: In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?For example, I want to find a file with the character string "fund", I type "fund" in the search box and I get thousands of documents that have "fund" somewhere in the text of the document....
  4. How do I search specific folders in File Explorer?

How do I search specific folders in File Explorer?: How do I search specific file folders including their subfolders?I'm specifically wanting to search text within files that are documents via File Explorer....
  5. How do I properly search for a file in Windows Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I properly search for a file in Windows Explorer?: Okay, I give up and I'm asking a question here: Where do I find definitive guidance on how to search for files in Windows Explorer on Windows 10?I never get useful results from Windows Explorer. I know that I should be able to use "?" and "*" as globs in the search bar, but...
  6. How do I properly search for a file in Windows Explorer?

How do I properly search for a file in Windows Explorer?: Okay, I give up and I'm asking a question here: Where do I find definitive guidance on how to search for files in Windows Explorer on Windows 10?I never get useful results from Windows Explorer. I know that I should be able to use "?" and "*" as globs in the search bar, but...
  7. File Explorer search of file names only in indexed locations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer search of file names only in indexed locations: I have many similar files created from templates. They are in an indexed location. When I search in File Explorer they ALL appear in the search results due to their content. Sometimes I want to search through just the file names, not the content, in an indexed location....
  8. How do I search my files by tags only?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I search my files by tags only?: I'm trying to find tagged photos of myself, but when I search by my name it brings up EVERY PHOTO because my name is also my Windows username. How do I search by only the tags? submitted by /u/B00kN_rd [link] [comments]...
  9. How do I search for a specific character in file explorer?

How do I search for a specific character in file explorer?: I found a folder that has thousands of numbered files and each number indicates something about the file. All the files have the same amount of numbers, 8 but I need to find all of the files that have a 5 as the 5th digit in the name. How do I go about searching for all the...
  10. How do I clear the Search History in File Explorer?

How do I clear the Search History in File Explorer?: How do I clear the Search "history" in File Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-clear-the-search-history-in-file-explorer/b4ff9c91-f943-4683-b936-df61dab5ecb4"