Windows 10: In file explorer is there a way to custom organize? Or can you only sort by the default...

Discus and support In file explorer is there a way to custom organize? Or can you only sort by the default... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; In file explorer is there a way to custom organize? Or can you only sort by the default options (name, type, size, etc)? submitted by /u/matthewbvan... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/matthewbvan, Dec 1, 2020.

1. In file explorer is there a way to custom organize? Or can you only sort by the default...

In file explorer is there a way to custom organize? Or can you only sort by the default options (name, type, size, etc)?

submitted by /u/matthewbvan
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/matthewbvan, Dec 1, 2020
  2. cereberus Win User

Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Dec 1, 2020
  3. Sort in File Explorer with Custom Values

I'll start off with I'm not an expert or anywhere close and could be missing something simple.

So I'm trying to sort my files (saved emails right now) based on my own custom values. I think if you edit the details in the properties on each file that might work, I don't think I'll have permission for this though. I think that might be the easiest
    way, hopefully not the only way.

When I was trying to find a way to do this I found when updating the properties of an email you get a tab titled 'Custom'. I was hoping I could input text into the value and use a random name from the ones available. This works, but none of the many many
    sort options displayed the value I inputted (there are tons of options for sorting, but none of them work with this custom tab).

Hopefully, there is a solution but if there isn't...The best solution I think could be added would be adding a section title 'Custom Column' at the bottom of the 'Sort By' for customized sorting.. thinking like excel, just input a value and it updates
    on the file explorer window without going into properties.

So my main question is, how do I input custom values for files and sort those files based on those custom values in the file explorer?

Also side question, what is the 'Custom' Tab for in the file properties?

Daniel_Wise, Dec 1, 2020
  4. In file explorer is there a way to custom organize? Or can you only sort by the default...

File Explorer default veiw setting Win 10 Pro

Hi Bob,

You can change the default settings of your File Explorer view. If you would like to sort it by Date, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Go to Start, type File Explorer.
    • Select View located at the top of the address bar.
    • Locate Sort by.
    • Select Date.
    • Choose between Ascending and Descending.
    • Close the File Explorer and check back if the changes applied.

Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Ronalene Mat, Dec 1, 2020
Thema:

In file explorer is there a way to custom organize? Or can you only sort by the default...

1. In file explorer is there a way to custom organize? Or can you only sort by the default... - Similar Threads - file explorer custom

2. Is there a way to customize File Explorer to show only the folders you want to see?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to customize File Explorer to show only the folders you want to see?: Is there a way to customize File Explorer to show only the folders you want to see? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-customize-file-explorer-to-show/a7ae9256-5320-48d1-bdfb-96d4ab029458
  3. Is there a way to customize File Explorer to show only the folders you want to see?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to customize File Explorer to show only the folders you want to see?: Is there a way to customize File Explorer to show only the folders you want to see? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-customize-file-explorer-to-show/a7ae9256-5320-48d1-bdfb-96d4ab029458
  4. File Explorer Sort Customization

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Sort Customization: How do u sort files on windows explorer ? I mean putting them in a certain order other than the normal. like if I want a certain file to be on top that's alphabetically coming second or to the bottom. Changing the order and moving files or folders in the hierarchyHow can I do...
  5. File Explorer Sort Customization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Sort Customization: How do u sort files on windows explorer ? I mean putting them in a certain order other than the normal. like if I want a certain file to be on top that's alphabetically coming second or to the bottom. Changing the order and moving files or folders in the hierarchyHow can I do...
  6. File Explorer Sort Customization

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File explorer needs a way to Manually organize files

File explorer needs a way to Manually organize files: I have an SD Card that I am filling with pictures and I want the folders the pictures are in to go like Oc's Hands then Other, Simple right? well I can't make it like that manually Which is what I wanted to do so I had to sort the files by Authors Descending which could...
  8. Is there a way to set the file properties that you want to display by default in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to set the file properties that you want to display by default in file explorer?: I just got a new laptop on Windows 10. In all my photo folders, by default it shows the "Date" property, but it's blank on all my photos. All my photos are iPhone photos, which use the "Date Taken" property. So every time I want to sort any folder by Date, I have to go into...
  9. Sort in File Explorer with Custom Values

Sort in File Explorer with Custom Values: I'll start off with I'm not an expert or anywhere close and could be missing something simple. So I'm trying to sort my files saved emails right now based on my own custom values. I think if you edit the details in the properties on each file that might work, I don't think...
  10. is there a way to default file explore to sorting by date

is there a way to default file explore to sorting by date: When I download a file and go to email I would like the files to be organized by date (todays date) is that possible https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-default-file-explore-to-sorting/10b9d017-9323-44df-8fcb-6d5d1e49da16"