Windows 10: in file explorer, what is the differenc between the label "this pc", desktop, and within...

Discus and support in file explorer, what is the differenc between the label "this pc", desktop, and within... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; ...I bought a new pc... and had the Office Depot technician copy all of my previous 2 year old pc's folders and files into my new pc. ...And When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TERRYMOLONEY99, Jul 13, 2019.

1. in file explorer, what is the differenc between the label "this pc", desktop, and within...

...I bought a new pc... and had the Office Depot technician copy all of my previous 2 year old pc's folders and files into my new pc. ...And When I highlight "this pc" folder … and then search for the name of a folder or file ...or likewise search in the folder labeled "desktop" (which includes me in a subcategory as the "user") ...or when I highlight my name in the user folder AND do the same search I often get different results (and only user And I am the only owner of my pc) using the same key word or words.

I hope someone knows "what is the highest level to begin a search" so that my laptop searches every folder and file looking for my key-word … without missing any folder or file that contains my key-word (regardless of the folder or file might be filed within my new pc. ...Does anyone know where to begin a search (that will Not miss anything??? Thank you for any answers. terry.

:)

TERRYMOLONEY99, Jul 13, 2019
  2. sturpe Win User

Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, Jul 13, 2019
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jul 13, 2019
  4. Ralph_B Win User

in file explorer, what is the differenc between the label "this pc", desktop, and within...

winxp pro explorer cd or dvd label

windows explorer doesn't correctly display the title/label of either cds or dvds , sometimes a previous label is displayed regardless of file content, but mostly no label is displayed. The contaents are displayed ok.
    the following method will display the label correctly but does not alter win explorer display:
    right click on drive, select properties, select hardware, double click on appropriate drive then click on volumes, then click on populate. This method obviously proves that the information can be read by my system but I do not understand the explorer problem - any thoughts are wellcome please ?

win xp sp2
    optorite drive dvd rw dd0203

I've since resolved the problem by selecting autoplay for the cd/dvd drive, not ideal becauase I do not want to use the autoplay feature , but at least it solved the label problem

Ralph_B, Jul 13, 2019
Thema:

in file explorer, what is the differenc between the label "this pc", desktop, and within...

1. in file explorer, what is the differenc between the label "this pc", desktop, and within... - Similar Threads - file explorer differenc

2. System Drive is being labeled in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Drive is being labeled in File Explorer?: So i just recently cloned my ssd to another one and now there is a system drive labeled as F in my file explore and i get denied acess to it. I have tried to use diskpart to remove the letter but it only does is temporaily beacause as soon as i restart my computer its back to...
  3. File Explorer with pc desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer with pc desktop icons: i have always used File Explorer to open and use other folders, but now i only get devices.. i am using windows 11.. any help to go from one to the other, thanks...
  4. File Explorer with pc desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer with pc desktop icons: i have always used File Explorer to open and use other folders, but now i only get devices.. i am using windows 11.. any help to go from one to the other, thanks...
  5. File Explorer, file labeled “Windows. Old”

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer, file labeled “Windows. Old”: I have a folder in my File Explorer, Windows 10, labeled “Windows. Old” dated 1/26/2021. I think it might be from a reset I did. Do I need to keep this, or can I delete it? It’s large and it takes forever to run a full scan, maybe by deleting this file it would speed things...
  6. File Explorer, file labeled “Windows. Old”

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer, file labeled “Windows. Old”: I have a folder in my File Explorer, Windows 10, labeled “Windows. Old” dated 1/26/2021. I think it might be from a reset I did. Do I need to keep this, or can I delete it? It’s large and it takes forever to run a full scan, maybe by deleting this file it would speed things...
  7. File Explorer, file labeled “Windows. Old”

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. What happened to 'this PC' in File Explorer

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    What happened to 'this PC' in File Explorer: Unless I am mistaken, there used to be a section in 'File Explorer' called 'This PC', but it does not appear on my screen any more. Was this removed?...
  9. No Desktop under This PC in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    No Desktop under This PC in File Explorer: Greetings. So, I have no desktop under This PC when I go into File Explorer. Where did this go? Wouldnt it normally be there?? My shortcuts are syncing with Google Drive too. Please advise....
  10. Search functionality within File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search functionality within File Explorer: I read a post from 2017 stating that the functionality to default search preference to "current folder" within the File Explorer is not possible. Has this since changed as it has now been 2 years and it is actually very frustrating to navigate through endless files or have...