Windows 10: In need of a Windows driver expert. COM ports/ambigious device name/Not migrated.

Discus and support In need of a Windows driver expert. COM ports/ambigious device name/Not migrated. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] I've cross posted to .Net in case a programmer there knows what's going on. I've marked this as a bug as Windows gives no way of fixing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SarahC, May 12, 2023.

1. /u/SarahC Win User

In need of a Windows driver expert. COM ports/ambigious device name/Not migrated.

In need of a Windows driver expert. COM ports/ambigious device name/Not migrated. HPnTTgWJ2pJtKq52k4Ew7v9xUcS-88tvgtILvjG4yqE.jpg

I've cross posted to .Net in case a programmer there knows what's going on.

I've marked this as a bug as Windows gives no way of fixing this issue. (probably because it's so rare)

The details: https://www.reddit.com/r/dotnet/comments/13ffkk6/writing_a_program_systemioports_the_ports/

From the little I could glean.. I updated Windows 7 to 10 a few years ago, and this message is something about the driver subsystem needing to update Win 7 drivers to the Win 10 core - EVERY TIME it's plugged in. (WTH!?!?!? That's some research for another day - not that I can find anything useful! )

That's fine - it's always done that, but since I added some new USB hardware it started failing for all my other COM devices.

How do I diagnose and correct an "Device not migrated" error? Properly? I expect I need a tool.

I clicked on the "Events" to see why there were no drivers now for my vitual COM port devices I plug in , and found some "Not migrated" errors....

Device USB\VID_10C4&PID_EA60\01DAB3FA was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: USB\VID_10C4&PID_EA60\6&a4f55e&0&4

Class Guid: {4d36e978-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Location Path: PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1A00)#USBROOT(0)#USB(1)#USB(4)

Migration Rank: 0xF000000000000132

Present: false

--------------------------

I DID "resolve" this by rolling back using a restore point. I learned NOTHING!

That's like using a hammer to fix a switch.

The stock answers online are not what I'm after..... uninstall device, reinstall device, reboot windows, run sfc /scannow.... blindly crashing through settings and files.

Also of these reasons often given in "fixit" pages, the top one is relevant but 4 years ago!:

• Windows Upgraded from an older version.
    • Corrupted System files
    • Outdated driver
    • Dual boot system
    • Windows not up-to-date
    • Issues with internal components
    • Peripheral device not supported

I want to know what's going on - via diagnoses, and gentle manipulation of the environment.

I've learned there's a service involved in this "Device Setup Manager service" (DsmSvc), and there's a cache of previously added USB hardware:%programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceMetadataCache\dmrccache\

But I've found no software that can show what is ambiguous about the hardware names recently added.

I get a tingly feeling I'm on the write track with THIS software, but I lack the skills to use it:

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Is this the KEY to solving ambiguous device ID?

submitted by /u/SarahC
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SarahC, May 12, 2023
  2. Remon Ont Win User

Device could not be migrated....

Hi Henrik,

For us to isolate the issue and better assist you regarding your concern, we would like to ask some additional information:

• Does it happen every time you use video call on Skype?
    • Have you done any changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Have you tried updating any drivers?

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps provided by AntonyJose on this

link

We will wait for your response.

Remon Ont, May 12, 2023
  3. dalchina Win User
    Device not migrated

Hi, lots of results if you search for
    device not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match

- suggest uninstalling the root hubs and let them reinstall on reboot.

Did this occur after a Windows update was applied? (See Update History).

In need of a Windows driver expert. COM ports/ambigious device name/Not migrated. 314707d1610741892t-device-not-migrated-.png

dalchina, May 12, 2023
  4. spapakons Win User

In need of a Windows driver expert. COM ports/ambigious device name/Not migrated.

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

In need of a Windows driver expert. COM ports/ambigious device name/Not migrated. 47717d1485959446t-usb-port-oddities-replace-usb-drivers-step-1.jpg

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

In need of a Windows driver expert. COM ports/ambigious device name/Not migrated. 47718d1485959446t-usb-port-oddities-replace-usb-drivers-step-2.jpg

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

In need of a Windows driver expert. COM ports/ambigious device name/Not migrated. 47719d1485959446t-usb-port-oddities-replace-usb-drivers-step-3.jpg

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

In need of a Windows driver expert. COM ports/ambigious device name/Not migrated. 47720d1485959446t-usb-port-oddities-replace-usb-drivers-step-4.jpg

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, May 12, 2023
Thema:

1. In need of a Windows driver expert. COM ports/ambigious device name/Not migrated. - Similar Threads - need driver expert

2. Reinstall Deleted COM ports drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall Deleted COM ports drivers: Hello Sir, I mistakenly deleted a COM Port in my windows 11 and now the computer is lagging . please help me to reinstall the deleted COM port driver . It was COM port 8...
  3. Reinstall Deleted COM ports drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall Deleted COM ports drivers: Hello Sir, I mistakenly deleted a COM Port in my windows 11 and now the computer is lagging . please help me to reinstall the deleted COM port driver . It was COM port 8...
  4. COM port

COM port: I am using window 10, I tried to communicate with arduino mega 2560 by grbl controller. its connected but not active some times its active. why it happened. I tried many times I thoiught the com port service is inturupted by itself?...
  5. COM ports

COM ports: Where are the COM ports on windows 11? Looked through device manager and couldnt find any. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/e9069c14-9696-4ac5-99df-a5a67079048a
  6. com ports

in Windows 10 Customization
    com ports: How do I clear in use com ports in win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/13a6b2f9-f52d-467c-a680-4bfa363a639f
  7. Clashing devices on serial COM ports

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clashing devices on serial COM ports: I am using a Windows 10 Enterprise x64 PC. I have an Adafruit Feather M0 Express board and a Kortek touchscreen. I can use either of these devices individually on the PC. They work over serial communications. However, when I install the drivers for the touchscreen, the...
  8. Com ports

Com ports: Whenever I try to use serial communation I get an error code #12. The message is I don't have enough room for the com port. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/2cc86c83-2c30-4ef6-b30b-32cbe6508edb
  9. Com Ports

Com Ports: I'm having a problem with com port #5. It gives me a yellow sign with a quote. Whats happening is when I try to make changes to To my Mitsubishi GX 2000 software program for PLC logic controllers it tells me I have a problem with my comm port. I don't think I'm using a comm...
  10. Com ports

in Windows 10 Customization
    Com ports: Where do I find the com port's that are assigned to a device that is connected with Bluetooth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/1ebde4c0-a50f-4066-aaf1-ef4c7399ebe7