Windows 10: In need of some advice on setting up Onedrive on after a clean install

Discus and support In need of some advice on setting up Onedrive on after a clean install in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Im looking into using Onedrive for the first time on my laptop. After searching the web I havent been able to get a clear answer about setting up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sportsfan148, Jun 27, 2021.

1. In need of some advice on setting up Onedrive on after a clean install

Hi, Im looking into using Onedrive for the first time on my laptop. After searching the web I havent been able to get a clear answer about setting up Onedrive for my particular needs. I know that Onedrive can be configured during setup to automatically backup the Desktop, Documents and Pictures folders. My question relates to the Documents folder. Immediately after a clean install I always copy my Documents into the This PC/Documents folder from a USB flash drive where I have my Documents, Pictures etc backed up. If I select the Documents, Desktop, Pictures folders to be backed up automatically during Windows Setup they will then sync and be backed up to Onedrive in the cloud. However, I dont want my entire Documents folder backing up to Onedrive. A lot of my Documents I would just like to keep locally on my laptop. Also I will be installing amongst other things the Steam Gaming Platform which also uses the Documents folder and I wouldnt want folders such as Steam Game folders to be backed up to the cloud either. Is it better to not enable automatic backups of the Desktop, Documents and Pictures folders during Windows Setup? If you dont allow automatic backups ..does that mean that you would need to run two separate Documents folders...the Onedrive/Documents folder and the This PC/Documents Folder? Would you then just copy the files you want in the cloud to the Onedrive/Documents folder from the This PC/Documents folder and leave the files you only want to keep locally on the hard drive where they are in the This PC/Documents folder? It all seems a little bit complicated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

:)

sportsfan148, Jun 27, 2021

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jun 27, 2021
  3. Recon-UK Win User
    Cleaning a keyboard and keyboard advice?

Thanks guys for cleaning advice.

Any keyboard suggestions? i will clean this out then and put in storage as a spare.

Recon-UK, Jun 27, 2021
  4. In need of some advice on setting up Onedrive on after a clean install

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Jun 27, 2021
Thema:

In need of some advice on setting up Onedrive on after a clean install

1. In need of some advice on setting up Onedrive on after a clean install - Similar Threads - need advice setting

2. Need advice on removing OneDrive "desktop"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need advice on removing OneDrive "desktop": The clean install of win11 put OneDrive. I do not want to use it due to a lot of stuff going into it plus I have security concerns.I selected the icon and did an unlink and then uninstalled.Looking at my disk drive I see that OneDrive\Desktop has all my desktop stuff'Other...
  3. Need advice on removing OneDrive "desktop"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need advice on removing OneDrive "desktop": The clean install of win11 put OneDrive. I do not want to use it due to a lot of stuff going into it plus I have security concerns.I selected the icon and did an unlink and then uninstalled.Looking at my disk drive I see that OneDrive\Desktop has all my desktop stuff'Other...
  4. Need advice on removing OneDrive "desktop"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Advice Needed on Display Settings

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Advice Needed on Display Settings: I got my first 4k monitor and have never had a monitor above 2.5k in the past. Windows 10 automatically set the display scale to 200% after recognizing the new 4k monitor which I get because text is too small to be legible without scaling. However, I bought the new monitor...
  6. I need some advice?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I need some advice?: Well, I have been programming a bot for GTA Online for a while now. This allows you to stay online, create single lobbies and mute the GTA window. My question: Can I get in trouble for that, because I basically exploit security holes. Be a bit scared after what happened to...
  7. Need some advice on a New SSD Installation...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need some advice on a New SSD Installation...: I just installed a new SSD (Samsung 970 EVO+ NVMe M.2 1TB). The install went well, but I left some files behind on the old drive (An OCZ Trion 120gb SSD). Anyway, I though there would be a problem if I plugged the old drive back in and booted up into windows without hitting...
  8. Going to W10, need some advice.

in Windows 10 Support
    Going to W10, need some advice.: Going to W10, need some advice. Hi, Currently running W7 Pro32 bit MSI I5 laptop & use it mainly for managing our Retirement funds, Healthcare along with research, learning about what's going on in the world today. I'm a retired busn Mgr & have been using PC's since the...
  9. Need Some Graphic Card advice

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Need Some Graphic Card advice: My pc's cards fan after 4 years just started making a whinning noise I don't know if I could take it out and grease the fan or not but I would rather just get a new card......Say $100 or less....And I'm not a gamer. My pc is a 2013 HP P-6 2400T / Intel 3.1 CPU / 12 gb's...
  10. Clean install advice please

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install advice please: I upgraded my laptops a few weeks ago and, today, I've upgraded my Desktop PC. Before I start adding the programs I need, I'm wondering about doing a clean install rather than waiting for weeks and starting all over again. My main concern is that when I installed Windows...