Windows 10: in need of sophisticated backup software

Discus and support in need of sophisticated backup software in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I am looking for an incremental backup software that can burn to disk. It is important that, after a full backup, it can detect new or changed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by GD4E1, Apr 24, 2016.

1. GD4E1 Win User

in need of sophisticated backup software

Hi,
    I am looking for an incremental backup software that can burn to disk. It is important that, after a full backup, it can detect new or changed files and only select those for the backup to optical disk (due to the fact that I am currently wasting a lot of disks doing full backups every time and if I could do incremental backups it would save a lot of money and disks, although manually determining the differences would be too time consuming, due to having several hundred thousand files in a complex folder structure), in addition to maintaining the folder structure.
    Are there any suggestions as to where to begin for such a piece of software?
    Thanks

EDIT: discounted software
    Pipemetrics Bvckup 2 (no optical media backup capability)
    Easeus ToDo backup (no optical media backup capability)

software to test:
    AOMEI backupper (lacks merge capabilities)
    AOMEI backupper Pro

:)

GD4E1, Apr 24, 2016

2. N900 with PC Suite

I can't believe that so sophisticated model is not supported full by software! This is embarrassing for such well known name - Nokia.

banek---01, Apr 24, 2016
  3. Lumia 720 screen wouldn't respond for over 15 minutes with full battery

my nokia lumia 720's screen went black for 15mins and would not respond but after has now started working again as if nothing happened. what is wrong with it? this is already the second handset in just under a month as the first's screen just kept flickering
    within an hour of buying it

in need of assistance1995, Apr 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Aomei Backupper - as well as disk imaging- provides file/folder level backup, with incremental and differential imaging. It says it supports writing to optical media for backups- I only use it with an external USB drive. The free version will probably do all you need.

Macrium Reflect (free) only provides differential imaging. I believe the Pro version may meet your requirements- I've not used it and don't know about writing to optical media with it.

dalchina, Apr 24, 2016
  5. GD4E1 Win User
    Thank you for the suggestions, I shall have a look and if they look like they'll do what I need I shall test them and see

GD4E1, Apr 24, 2016
  6. no1yak Win User
    Macrium Reflect Home edition will backup to a CD or DVD and you can set it up for Full, Differential or Incremental.

no1yak, Apr 24, 2016
  7. Wullail Win User
    Macrium Reflect Pro wins my vote also...lots of options , full , incremental , delete old full / incremental backups based on the amount of space left etc etc.

Many options...

Wullail, Apr 24, 2016
  8. no1yak Win User

There is no pro version only Home , Workstation, Server and Server Plus. So where did your Pro version come form?.

no1yak, Apr 24, 2016
  9. Word Man Win User
    Pro is in the old Version 5 line. You're correct that, since version 6, there's no longer a "Professional" version.

Word Man, Apr 24, 2016
  10. swarfega Win User
    I use Uranium-Backup to back up files to my NAS. Its basic but does incremental.

swarfega, Apr 24, 2016
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    I used to use Acronis -- Macrium Reflect does the job just fine now. Paid version has all the features you need -- but IMO the Freebie is good enough -- a typical W10 backup image with compression should only use about 20GB and even on HDD only about 20 mins to execute / restore.

Keep your OS on a separate partition / HDD and you won't have any problems.

The trouble with Incremental / Differential backups is that if you need to restore you have to load the last Full backup and then run restores from all the incrementals / differentials since the last full backup.

IMO it's simpler to take (daily) if you like full image backups -- only about 15 mins at the most. Image both the OS and the system reserved partition.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 24, 2016
  12. GD4E1 Win User
    I'm currently using AOMEI (standard) and it seems to be doing what I want it to, it even breaks it down into constituent parts so I can burn them to BD-R easier, so thanks for your help*Smile
    Jimbo45- this isn't about backing up the OS, rather several hundred thousand data files

GD4E1, Apr 27, 2016
  13. cereberus Win User

I recommend use of differentials over incrementals even though they may be less space efficient.

If you have a chain of incrementals, and for some reason one of the files gets corrupted, you lose all changes after that link as well.

If a differential link fails, you can use next one instead (assuming next link does not reverse a specific change). So overall differentials have a higher data integrity.

Actually, I tend to agree with Jimbo45 as even with diffs, the weak link is the first full backup. I tend to just do full backups and keep two or three copies in case one corrupts.

Actually a better overall strategy is to have OS plus programs on one drive, and data on another. And then :-

Image backup the OS drive say weekly or monthly as suits (I always do one just before installing updates). By separating data to anothrer drive, then the OS drive does not change in size that much, and doing diff/inc backups is not really worth it. Also the full image backups are much smaller and quicker.

Backup data drive using File History Backup - you can set period as low as 10 minutes. This is a pretty automated system and works well.

Seperating data from OS also means recovery of OS is quicker and does not affect existing data.

cereberus, Apr 28, 2016
  14. Is there a reason you are locked in to optical media? It seems like that would be the least useful media to use for your particular backup methods.

DeaconFrost, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. in need of sophisticated backup software - Similar Threads - need sophisticated backup

2. backup using multiple softwares

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup using multiple softwares: Recently I've been thinking of backup my laptop and I was scouting a suitable software. But I am in a dilemma of choosing it mainly because there are no software that is perfect. I mean every software has its disadvantages or bad user experience etc. So I was wondering, is it...
  3. backup using multiple softwares

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    backup using multiple softwares: Recently I've been thinking of backup my laptop and I was scouting a suitable software. But I am in a dilemma of choosing it mainly because there are no software that is perfect. I mean every software has its disadvantages or bad user experience etc. So I was wondering, is it...
  4. I need Software that can save backups to one drive account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I need Software that can save backups to one drive account: I need Software that can save backups to one drive account: I have two computers and one one drive account. I want software that will allow me to back up to one drive account for each computer in separate folders on the one drive account...
  5. Does this backup software exist?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does this backup software exist?: I'm looking for a backup software for Win10 that can backup specifically selected folders that I select instead of backing up the whole drive, and only back up the files if they have changed or updated so it doesn't take a long time rewriting every file that hasn't been...
  6. Is backup software a gimmick ????

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is backup software a gimmick ????: What I understand about backup is you copy the files to another storage medium. Simply selecting the files and then copy-and-paste and then that should do it...... Why there is often what so-called backup software? They may even charge. Why do we need those software? 118784
  7. Recommend backup software for 10

Recommend backup software for 10: Hi ... I'm curious if anyone is using a backup software with windows 10 ? And, if so which are you using ? I always been a Acronis True Image user but their latest version 2015 I really hate the whole interface of it . I did try it out but it has fail when I try to restore an...
  8. Tape backup software

Tape backup software: What are current recommendations for this please? I use an Ultrium-4 drive on a server and iSCSI connection from a booted CD to take image backups of all the machines here at home, but dd isn't the best of backup utilities *Smile I can't afford a PetaByte disk array so...
  9. Free file backup software

Free file backup software: Hi, Can anyone suggest a good free third party software for file backup.....? I googled it, but it seems that some free tools do not work well with W10. I have Macrium and use it for Imaging/Cloning, but the free version does not offer file backup. I would like to...
  10. Recommendation for image backup software

Recommendation for image backup software: Hi All, Just wondering what image backup software do you recommend? I've been using Acronis 2016 and I've had a couple of minor niggles with it lately and am thinking about changing. I would prefer something with a small footprint and an easy to use interface. 25307