Windows 10: In-place upgrade from AMD FX-8320E (AM3+) to Ryzen (AM4). Possible?

Discus and support In-place upgrade from AMD FX-8320E (AM3+) to Ryzen (AM4). Possible? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I currently have a PC with an AMD FX-8320E CPU on an ASUS 970 Pro Gaming/Aura motherboard (which has an AM3+ socket but not AM4). Is it possible... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Eksy61, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Eksy61 Win User

In-place upgrade from AMD FX-8320E (AM3+) to Ryzen (AM4). Possible?

I currently have a PC with an AMD FX-8320E CPU on an ASUS 970 Pro Gaming/Aura motherboard (which has an AM3+ socket but not AM4).

Is it possible for me to upgrade the PC to an AMD Ryzen and some new motherboard that has AM4 without having to do a complete fresh reinstall of Windows 10? And could I keep my document/picture/video files on my hard drives without having to reinstall those too?

I figure that my current installation of Windows 10 lacks the drivers for the Ryzen and the new motherboard, so I would have to inject those somehow so Windows 10 could recognize the new hardware.

Or should I just forget the whole thing and reinstall everything all over again like a brand-new PC?

:)

Eksy61, Jan 27, 2018
  2. redhonker Win User

Why does Task Manger shows half of the cores?

But AMD FX-8320E has 8 cores, not 4. So what's going on here?

redhonker, Jan 27, 2018
  3. eny22 Win User
    Reinstalling Windows Apps

windows 10 pro 64 bit

v 1703

build 15063.877

amd fx 8320e 8 core processor

3.20 ghz

16.0 gb mem

eny22, Jan 27, 2018
  4. Plankton Win User

You can try it but it's not recommended. With a new mobo/cpu upgrade requires new drivers/chipset and that requires a clean install. I'd would go for the clean install as it's going to be less of a mess and a lot less stress when issues arise going the other way and they will pop up.

For your data issue; you can make an image of that with a 3rd party software and then add the imaged data after the clean install. What I do is: I have a cloud back up of my data that I don't want to loose if some unforeseen system failure/crash happens. I also have a physical backup of said data....2 to be exact, HDD and DVD/s. The DVD backups are just pictures and videos. This way If I want to move any backup data to my PC after a clean install, I either pull it from the cloud or physical backup and just drag/drop to my folder destination.

Plankton, Jan 27, 2018
  5. 10 should be able to handle it, especially if you have the latest version 1709. If it does not work, you will just reinstall.

TairikuOkami, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. In-place upgrade from AMD FX-8320E (AM3+) to Ryzen (AM4). Possible? - Similar Threads - place upgrade AMD

2. AMD FX for Windows 11 Requirements

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AMD FX for Windows 11 Requirements: I wanted to update my operating system to version 11 and faced the fact that when checking through PC Health Check, it does not allow me to update Windows due to the fact that this series of processors is not on the list of supported ones, although they meet the minimum...
  3. AMD FX for Windows 11 Requirements

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AMD FX for Windows 11 Requirements: I wanted to update my operating system to version 11 and faced the fact that when checking through PC Health Check, it does not allow me to update Windows due to the fact that this series of processors is not on the list of supported ones, although they meet the minimum...
  4. AMD FX for Windows 11 Requirements

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Up grading CPU from AMD Ryzen 2700 to AMD Ryzen 3950X

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Up grading CPU from AMD Ryzen 2700 to AMD Ryzen 3950X: Hello, I'm going to change the CPU as stated above and am wondering how much trouble I'm getting my self into - I have Windows 10 64bit and it's activated to my Microsoft account with a digital license....
  6. in-place upgrade is not possible on Win10 1809 to 20H2

in-place upgrade is not possible on Win10 1809 to 20H2: Hello all, I am stuck with in-place upgrade of Win10 1809 x64 Enterprise. to Win10 20H2 x64 Enterprise on HP laptops with Thunderbolt port. A desktops are not affected. It is basically the same issue as here I see the same error in setup.exe GUI during pre-installation...
  7. Is an in-place upgrade possible in the recovery environment?

Is an in-place upgrade possible in the recovery environment?: My machine has gone into an infinite loop of trying to automatic repair, then failing to do so but never getting to the windows 10 desktop. I"ve tried utilising a restore point which it won;t let me do, I tried uninstalling the last fixes which it won't let me do... I...
  8. Using RAM faster than 1866 MHz with an AMD FX-8350. Possible?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using RAM faster than 1866 MHz with an AMD FX-8350. Possible?: I have an FX-8350 and some DDR3-2400 Mushkin RAM. I have found that running the RAM any faster than 1866 MHz makes the memory controller cranky and I get memory errors. I have tried the RAM at the recommended timings and voltage for 2400 and 2133, as well as using looser...
  9. AMD Virtually Confirms That Ryzen Launch Will Take Place At GDC 2017

in Windows 10 News
    AMD Virtually Confirms That Ryzen Launch Will Take Place At GDC 2017: If you skim through AMD’s GDC 2017 schedule note, it might appear pretty mundane to you. — non-eventful, to say the least. “Optimizing for AMD Ryzen CPU,” it reads. However, dig a little deeper and go through the brief given on the event page, and you’re sure as heck in...
  10. AMD reveals an army of Ryzen PCs and AM4 motherboards

in Windows 10 News
    AMD reveals an army of Ryzen PCs and AM4 motherboards: So far, everything AMD’s shown of its hotly anticipated Ryzen processors hint that they’re the company’s most competitive new CPUs in a long, long time—chips poised to bring the fight back to Intel at the high-end of computing. No processor launches in a vacuum, though. At...