Windows 10: In Place Upgrade To Win 10. No Ability to Make Changes/Read Only/User

Discus and support In Place Upgrade To Win 10. No Ability to Make Changes/Read Only/User in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, So as many have done I did an in-place upgrade to windows 10 from 7 For about 21 days now I have been trying to figure out what to do.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by karak, May 17, 2016.

1. karak Win User

In Place Upgrade To Win 10. No Ability to Make Changes/Read Only/User

Hi,
    So as many have done I did an in-place upgrade to windows 10 from 7

For about 21 days now I have been trying to figure out what to do. Basically every single drive I have doesn't allow for me to do anything. They are all marked read only and changing them back looks like its doing something then it reverts to the prior settings.

So far I have taken all the steps shown here, including doing a name check for the user in the security tab and trying to take ownership there. That looks like its working and goes through the motions then resets back.

I have tried both the elevated admin command for taking ownership as well as the shortcut for taking ownership in my windows tab. Nothing works.

Changing permissions manually in the security tab or just clicking the "full" box and so forth also does nothing. It looks like its doing somethinn then resets.

:)

karak, May 17, 2016
  2. pedhambe Win User

After converting to Windows 10, my user folder and all its sub-folders and files are read-only

Hi,

After converting to Windows 10 two days ago my entire user folder and all its sub-folders and files are now read-only. Right clicking on the User Folder, opening Properties, removing the blue from the Read-Only box and then clicking OK goes through a long
    process, but all the folders and files remain in the Read-Only state. What do I need to do to change this? Thanks a bunch.

In particular, I was unable to open my Quicken file after upgrading to Windows 10 . Quicken gave a message that it was read-only file and cannot be opened. But, it suggested making a copy and placing it elsewhere will allow it to be opened. I copied the
    file from its normal place to the desktop and I was able to open it.

pedhambe, May 17, 2016
  3. Creating a new folder in Win 10

I have just upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7. Using explorer to look at folders, when I right click, the ability to create a new folder within this existing folder does not appear. I have examined the properties of the existing folder including permissions
    and advanced permissions and seem to have allowed for all eventualities to no effect. Still no 'new' option. The folder came up as 'read only' and I changed this too but on re-entry into file explorer it had reverted back to 'read only' again.

Snowdonwalker, May 17, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, May 17, 2016
  5. karak Win User
    karak, May 18, 2016
  6. There are a number of soultions offered when googled

MS account vs local account - try logging in with (switch to) a local account
    -- or --
    create a new local account

Set UAC to the default level

Check Homegroup sharing (read & write)
    a more aggressive approach offered was to replace Homegroup with Workgroup

Onedrive - turn off fetch
    a more aggressive approach offered was to uninstall Onedrive

Verify Security settings (advanced) on your volume(s)

C:\ drive

In Place Upgrade To Win 10. No Ability to Make Changes/Read Only/User [​IMG]

User profile

In Place Upgrade To Win 10. No Ability to Make Changes/Read Only/User [​IMG]

Check Bitlocker settings

The most efficient solution is to backup your personal data and do a Clean Install.
    A clean install means that - the drive is wiped and Windows is installed fresh.

Other members might provide the solution - so don't make a rush decision.
    If nothing offered works - consider a clean install.

Slartybart, May 18, 2016
  7. karak Win User
    Ya I got the same results basically from google in the last couple weeks. I guess I am screwed and will have to do the in place install. Wish they had never offered it.

karak, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. In Place Upgrade To Win 10. No Ability to Make Changes/Read Only/User - Similar Threads - Place Upgrade Ability

2. File on a shared drive is on read only and user can't make changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File on a shared drive is on read only and user can't make changes: I recently had a problem with the user that has an excel workbook that is on read only and the file is on a shared drive,the user can not make changes when I tried to troubleshoot it required an administrator password to give permissions...
  3. File on a shared drive is on read only and user can't make changes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File on a shared drive is on read only and user can't make changes: I recently had a problem with the user that has an excel workbook that is on read only and the file is on a shared drive,the user can not make changes when I tried to troubleshoot it required an administrator password to give permissions...
  4. File on a shared drive is on read only and user can't make changes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. read only change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    read only change: how to fix the stubborn read-only status ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-change/f469db65-bc46-4459-8935-8505d683998e
  6. read only change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    read only change: how to fix the stubborn read-only status ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-change/f469db65-bc46-4459-8935-8505d683998e
  7. read only change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. reinstall/in place upgrade only solution?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    reinstall/in place upgrade only solution?: have a win10 machine that has been running un-updated 1607 fine for a year, but now it has started crashing if it's left unattended for a long time. coming back to it, it either shows black screen with the mouse pointer, or a log-on screen that doesn't display the desktop...
  9. Windows 10 user files read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 user files read only: So I've googled and tried the different permissons, the attrib -r, nothing is working. do I really have to wipe out my local user files to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-user-files-read-only/36306ab9-edd6-49d4-8217-ace15d5bdf96"
  10. Making place on the SSD drive after upgrading to Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Making place on the SSD drive after upgrading to Win 10: Hello Is there some files/directory/ backup / etc that I could remove from Win 7 after having upgraded to Win 10? My SSD drive (240 GB ) is 80% filled Martin 15491