Windows 10: In sleep mode, does the PSU power down?

Discus and support In sleep mode, does the PSU power down? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I thought this would be an easy question to answer, but I'm stymied by Google and all I've found, here, is "how to", not, "this happens to your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by edwin222, Dec 29, 2017.

1. edwin222 Win User

In sleep mode, does the PSU power down?

I thought this would be an easy question to answer, but I'm stymied by Google and all I've found, here, is "how to", not, "this happens to your hardware". The computer goes to sleep - all fans inactive - and it wakes, just fine. I know the monitors - I have 3 - go into sleep mode waiting on a call from the computer, but what is going on with the PSU?

I have blue led lights on my PSU fan. When I put my computer to sleep, I thought the PSU stayed active - fan running continuously. That's when I realized that the fan stops running - at least the leds are not lit. Does it have a "trickle" feature or something that doesn't require active cooling?

I like sleep mode, but my concern is the PSU being active when not needed.

My computer specs should show under "My Computer".

Thank you for your time.
    ede

:)

edwin222, Dec 29, 2017

2. When I put my computer into sleep mode and then try to wake it the machine powers on once then dies, powers on again then dies

Good day, I have a very unusual situation going on in regards to Windows sleep mode. I have a gaming PC with Windows 10 64 bit. It seems that when I put my computer into sleep mode and then try to wake it the machine powers on once then dies, powers on again
    then dies and on the third power attempt it kicks in. Now my PSU is all working fine. Is there any ideas on what might be going on here? I have an Asus z97 MB installed.

Original Title: Power issues windows sleep

Navigator40, Dec 29, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Sleep Mode

My version does not have the sleep mode other people show as being in the "Power and Sleep" box. Why?

PhilipGrandfield, Dec 29, 2017
  4. In sleep mode, does the PSU power down?

There is a 5V standby voltage rail (usually referred to as +5Vsb) that is always on. It only outputs a small amount of current so it doesn't need active cooling.

PolarNettles, Dec 29, 2017
  5. edwin222 Win User
    @PolarNettles
    Thank you so very much. I thought as much, but I was looking for someone to confirm my thoughts. You're a peach - and I got my question answered almost as soon as it was posted. Kudos to you.
    Peac
    ede

edwin222, Dec 29, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    That +5V PSU standby output is vital for the PC to boot when you press the PC's ON button. My PC once failed to boot due to a faulty +5V standby circuit in a XFX PSU which I had to replace under warranty. Note the only way to fully turn off the PSU and PC is to turn off the PC at the mains switch.

Steve C, Dec 29, 2017
  7. edwin222 Win User
    @Steve C - Thank you for the additional information.
    I was(am) a member of SevenForums. I thought I had registered, here, for the wealth of information I can get from informed readers. I had to register to get my question answered, but I'm really glad I did. I like to keep up with what people are doing and using. I've been somewhat derelict in my computer reading. That just changed.

Occasionally, I can add to the general knowledge. That's what it is all about - sharing and caring.

You people are great.

Happy New Year, y'all.

Peace - yes, I misspelled it in my thank you to PolarNettles. Sometimes these old eyes play tricks on me. I'll be 69 years young, next month.
    ede

edwin222, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

In sleep mode, does the PSU power down?

1. In sleep mode, does the PSU power down? - Similar Threads - sleep mode does

2. No SLEEP - powers down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No SLEEP - powers down: An ASUS z390a, I7-8000, running Windows 10 was recently updated with the current BIOS, and switched to UEFI/GPT/secure boot in prep for Win 11.SLEEP no longer works correctly, but instead powers down after a few minutes. When the power button is subsequently pressed W10 soon...
  3. No SLEEP - powers down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No SLEEP - powers down: An ASUS z390a, I7-8000, running Windows 10 was recently updated with the current BIOS, and switched to UEFI/GPT/secure boot in prep for Win 11.SLEEP no longer works correctly, but instead powers down after a few minutes. When the power button is subsequently pressed W10 soon...
  4. No SLEEP - powers down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Disable "Blinking" Light When Powering Down Computer Into Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable "Blinking" Light When Powering Down Computer Into Sleep Mode: Hello. So for the longest time ever, I customized a method to whenever I want to power down my computer and then start it back up again, it would reload everything that's already open. When I run this little custom "script", it enables Hibernate mode (where Windows creates...
  6. Sleep mode and powering down not working properly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep mode and powering down not working properly: So a few months ago I started having this problem with my desktop PC that I haven't been able to solve. What is happening is that whenever I try to set my computer to sleep mode or turn it off through the windows menu in the bottom left corner the computer acts odd. The...
  7. Computer shuts down powers off in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer shuts down powers off in sleep mode: After my computer enters sleep mode for some time it will automatically shut down or power off rather than just remaining in sleep mode. it is a Dell XPS Studio 9100 running Windows 10. I have checked power settings and can't find any obvious problems. Any ideas on solving...
  8. PC - Power Off - Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Support
    PC - Power Off - Sleep mode: 10-64 Updated to 10/04/2019 - KB4493464,4493478,4023057. After powering off if I select key powers on again. Has happened several times. Am certain correct key used to turn off. Appreciate assistance please. Rgds. 131083
  9. PSU or Power Button fault?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PSU or Power Button fault?: Hello, I have a somewhat peculiar problem. For a while now, to boot up my PC I'd have to press the Power button several times until it succeeds; the PC then boots up normally as if nothing happened. However, the Power button is now not working anymore even if I press it a...
  10. PSU/GPU Power Problem

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    PSU/GPU Power Problem: I originally had an asus R7 250x that stopped working with my PC and it would not boot/display. Pressing the power button would yield no result. It worked fine for 3+ months before giving me this problem. I had a friend with a 500w PSU and he let me have it. I installed it...