Windows 10: In Task Manager, Disk full doesn't match display

Discus and support In Task Manager, Disk full doesn't match display in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I check task manager it says 99% disk, but the highest capacity is 0.7MB, and if you compute them all you get a total of 2.3MB being used.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ironfist, Jan 1, 2018.

1. ironfist Win User

In Task Manager, Disk full doesn't match display

When I check task manager it says 99% disk, but the highest capacity is 0.7MB, and if you compute them all you get a total of 2.3MB being used. Definitely this is not 99% full. Seldomly, another thing will appear in there that says like 20MB, but as I look at it I cannot figure out how all the memory is being used. This is confusing to me. The usage should be higher if the amount is that great.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

:)

ironfist, Jan 1, 2018

2. Windows 10 Install 10-second prep churns

Installing through the Control Panel and Windows Update went through the installation process OK, or at least seemed to. The system boots to the point of displaying the login screen, but churns after that point, turning the screen on and off as it displays
    the app shortcut icons, first as blanks, then with the actual icon, then back to blanks. The number of app shortcuts, and their arrangement, seems to match the original display.

The task tray displays the start menu icon, the search field, the task view icon, and the notification icon, but doesn't complete the boot process.

Ctrl-Alt-Del from the keyboard works, and I can bring up the Task Manager,or do a reboot or shutdown. The Task Manager display shows the usual long list of system processes, with some varying widely in memory and disk usage.

Any suggestions for getting past the churn?

RalphBarker_868, Jan 1, 2018
  3. d0gknees Win User
    Windows 10 on multiple hard drives.

Is you disk full or is the usage at 100%? The two are completely different.

If you are looking at Task Manager and seeing 100% "Disk" on the Performance tab, it's saying windows is using the disk constantly.

If it's the free space that you see in Explorer, then it's full and you need to do something.

d0gknees, Jan 1, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello ironfist, *Smile

The 99% you see in your screenshot is for the "Total utilization across all physical drives" instead of how much drive space is used. Basically for activity.

Brink, Jan 1, 2018
  5. ironfist Win User
    Right. But what is the reason it is 99% when few things are being listed? Select the link I posted to observe a screenshot.

ironfist, Jan 2, 2018
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You definitely have something causing a lot of disk activity.

Click on the "Performance" tab in Task Manager, click on the "Open Resource Monitor" link at the bottom, and then click on the "Disk" tab in Resource Monitor. It'll give you a more detailed idea of what is causing disk activity.

Brink, Jan 2, 2018
  7. ironfist Win User
    This is being the situation again. Disk usage is at 100% but if you compute all the things that are using space it's about under 7MB.
    In Task Manager, Disk full doesn't match display [​IMG]

ironfist, Jan 7, 2018
  8. Berton Win User

Is it possible the disk usage is being confused with disk space [storage]? Right-clicking the drive letter in File Explorer then clicking Properties will give the disk space used and available for a rough total [some things are hidden and not always added to the result].

Berton, Jan 7, 2018
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    As a test, start killing the process of each item one at a time and checking a bit after each one to see if the disk activity goes back to normal. If it does right after killing a process, then that may be the culprit.

If you kill something that cripples Windows, you can just restart the computer.

Just to rule out an issue with the drive, run check disk on the drive to see what it reports.

Brink, Jan 7, 2018
  10. Suggestion.

Run the right slide bar down so we can see what else you have running.

Also from Task Manager tick on "Startup" and post what is there.

It would also be very helpful to completely fill in your system specs.

Here is a tutorial by Brink that will help you do that.

System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Site Use Tutorials

Jack

Layback Bear, Jan 7, 2018
  11. ironfist Win User
    Here comes a screenshot from resource monitor during a time when disk was 98%. First it was blank but that might have been because my computer was slow:

next it showed what you see here

ironfist, Jan 7, 2018
  12. Have you changed anything here.

Jack

Layback Bear, Jan 8, 2018
  13. ironfist Win User

I do not even know which menu has those settings.

ironfist, Jan 16, 2018
  14. ironfist Win User
    Now it's happening again and I have barely anything running.

ironfist, Jan 16, 2018
  15. Word Man Win User
    You might want to shut off utorrentie and other processes associated with it (if not uninstalling uTorrent altogether) and see if the problem persists to eliminate it as a cause. I'm not saying definitively that uTorrent is the culprit, just that it's one of the first things I'd try to take out of the equation.

Word Man, Jan 16, 2018
Thema:

1. In Task Manager, Disk full doesn't match display - Similar Threads - Task Manager Disk

2. In the Task Manager, the RAM percentage usage doesn't match the RAM value usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In the Task Manager, the RAM percentage usage doesn't match the RAM value usage: I'm using a brand new Dell G15 5520 with 16 GB of RAM and the overall uasage seems a bit high, plus the RAM percentage usage doesn't match the RAM value usage. The RAM percentages seems to be relative to 8GB of RAM, when in fact I have 16 I checked it at Settings -> System...
  3. In the Task Manager, the RAM percentage usage doesn't match the RAM value usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In the Task Manager, the RAM percentage usage doesn't match the RAM value usage: I'm using a brand new Dell G15 5520 with 16 GB of RAM and the overall uasage seems a bit high, plus the RAM percentage usage doesn't match the RAM value usage. The RAM percentages seems to be relative to 8GB of RAM, when in fact I have 16 I checked it at Settings -> System...
  4. Disk full 100% problem in Task manager again

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk full 100% problem in Task manager again: Disk full 100% problem. How to fix this problem?See Screenshot below: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-full-100-problem-in-task-manager-again/82a83dc9-2e95-41b3-8774-2e1f46fe56d6
  5. Disk full 100% problem in Task manager again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk full 100% problem in Task manager again: Disk full 100% problem. How to fix this problem?See Screenshot below: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-full-100-problem-in-task-manager-again/82a83dc9-2e95-41b3-8774-2e1f46fe56d6
  6. Disk full 100% problem in Task manager again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Disk full 100% problem in Task manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk full 100% problem in Task manager: Disk full 100% problem. How to fix this problem?See Screenshot below: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-full-100-problem-in-task-manager/82a83dc9-2e95-41b3-8774-2e1f46fe56d6
  8. Disk Full - C Drive Size Doesn't Match in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Full - C Drive Size Doesn't Match in Disk Management: Hi all, I'm a bit of a tech noob so any advice/support would be greatly appreciated. About two weeks ago my HP Spectre Windows 10 suffered blue screen so I took it to the local repair guys. I brought it home the other day and began reinstalling Office, games etc when I...
  9. Why doesn't Task Manager Average Response Time for disk match Performance Monitor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why doesn't Task Manager Average Response Time for disk match Performance Monitor: I'm trying to understand how Task Manager calculates Average Response Time under each disk's performance. In Performance Monitor the Avg. Disk sec/Transfer is nice flat line constantly ~<1ms, yet in Task ManagerAverage Response Time fluctuates between .5 ms and as high as 10...
  10. Task manager doesn't display CPU speed

in Windows 10 Support
    Task manager doesn't display CPU speed: It will show percentage, but no speed, it always stays at 0.00 and sometimes it'll jump to 0.01 or 2.70. Then immediately go to 0.00 again. My system information if it helps: https://i.imgur.com/N7MYTlN.png https://i.imgur.com/rHYmh9e.png Here is how it looks:...