Windows 10: In the language & region settings, why do we have "English Madagascar"

Discus and support In the language & region settings, why do we have "English Madagascar" in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; In the language & region settings, an option for "English Madagascar" is available.This surprises me because the only 2 official languages in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Paul Heli, Feb 29, 2024.

1. Paul Heli Win User

In the language & region settings, why do we have "English Madagascar"

In the language & region settings, an option for "English Madagascar" is available.This surprises me because the only 2 official languages in Madagascar are Malagasy and French, and English is not widely spoken.Why does this setting exists?

:)

Paul Heli, Feb 29, 2024
  2. lx07 Win User

Problem with setting English language

Yes you can and it is the same as in 7 if I remember correctly.

Search for Language in Control Panel. Click on Options in the English Language.

In the language & region settings, why do we have "English Madagascar" 94868d1485970334t-problem-setting-english-language-capture.png

On Input Method click on Add Input Method and scroll down the list until you find Spanish. Then remove English.

In the language & region settings, why do we have "English Madagascar" 94869d1485970334t-problem-setting-english-language-capture2.png

This only affects your keyboard - no other regional or language settings are affected.

For Cortana to work you need your language, region and speech have to be the same - it doesn't care about the keyboard. If your language is US English you'll need to make sure you set your region to US as well. As region affects things like search results and news I leave mine where I am and don't use Cortana but it is up to you - I've just not found a use for it yet.

3. Colinito Win User
    Problem with setting English language

XXX
    Hello Ix107,
    Many thanks for your reply. I regret the delay in responding, but I had some rather urgent matters to attend to and have not opened my PC for 3 days!
    I used your 1st suggestion and - after translating into Spanish, - I have found it to be OK - at the moment! If I have any further problems I shall return for more advice.
    My thanks also to 'dalchina' and I agree with you, and I have no use really for the Cortana. I used the 'search' in W7 to search the PC for programmes and suchlike, but I shall use other methods with this W10 "beast"which I hope will suffice!

(Forgive the addition of the "Quote" but I couldn't find a way to simply reply so I used the 'reply with quote button!)

Thanks to you both for your replies.

Regards,

Colinito, Feb 29, 2024
  4. Arul_D Win User

Cortana not recognising UK region setting

Hi Laurence,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that as of now Cortana is only available for U.S.-English. Though search will work in all languages.

I suggest you to change the Language and Region to English (United States), United States to explore Cortana.

You may follow below steps to perform the same.

• Press windows key + x
    • Open Control Panel.
    • If you’re in the standard view, open Clock, Language, and Region and then click Region.
    • In Region change the following settings:
      • Go to Formats tab and set format as English (United States).
      • Go to Location tab and set Home Location as United States.
      • Go to Administrative tab and set Current System Locale to English (United States).
    4. In Clock, Language, and Region, click Languages and make sure English (United States) is set as your primary language. If you don’t have the language install, click on Add a language, search for English (United States), install
    it, and set it as your primary.

5. Re-boot your computer and you should now be able to use Cortana outside of the US.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Arul_D, Feb 29, 2024
Thema:

1. In the language & region settings, why do we have "English Madagascar" - Similar Threads - language region settings

2. In the language & region settings, why do we have "English Madagascar"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In the language & region settings, why do we have "English Madagascar": In the language & region settings, an option for "English Madagascar" is available.This surprises me because the only 2 official languages in Madagascar are Malagasy and French, and English is not widely spoken.Why does this setting exists?...
  3. Language/Region Settings not affecting everywhere.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Language/Region Settings not affecting everywhere.: I bought an XP Spectre Laptop in Japan. When the first install happened there was no initial option to switch language, so I did the install in Japanese. Since then I have switched the language and region to UK. But there are still some things showing in Japanese. If I search...
  4. [Cortana] Output answers are in Chinese language settings, region and display is in US English

in Cortana
    [Cortana] Output answers are in Chinese language settings, region and display is in US English: Hi! I struggle to get Cortana running like I want to. And I am not even bossy : I setup my new surface go2 like this: Region: United States Current format: Recommended [English United States] Display language: English United States Preffered languages: English US...
  5. Regional settings vs display language

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Regional settings vs display language: Hi there, I am so tired of Windows and the way language, proofing, keyboard, display language etc is just one huge pile of manure. What settings do I need to click to get this?: Display language: English Formatting (time, currency etc): danish Spelling and proofing...
  6. Region and Language Settings - XML documentation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Region and Language Settings - XML documentation: Hi I'm looking for a full explanation/description of the XML commands to customize my regional settings. See below: <gs:UserLocale> <gs:Locale Name="en-UK" SetAsCurrent="true" ResetAllSettings="true"> <gs:Win32> <gs:iCalendarType>1</gs:iCalendarType>...
  7. Region and language

in Windows 10 Customization
    Region and language: I want to change my language to English, however when I go to the Region and Language section nothing appears what can i do to fix this? Here is a screenshot to see what happens [ATTACH]...
  8. Region settings: Unable to set default language!

in Windows 10 Support
    Region settings: Unable to set default language!: Hi, I get this error when setting my Region settings to English/Netherlands and restart Windows 10. Error : "Unable to set default language !" When I put it back to English/US then all is ok. How can I get my Regio settings to English/Netherlands, which Windows itself...
  9. Cortana not enabled - region Australia, language English

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana not enabled - region Australia, language English: As you can see below, Cortana will not enable despite Australia and English being selected. I am 100% up to date on updates. [img] [img] Is there any other settings I need to change to get Cortana to work? Thanks! 30734
  10. Problem with setting English language

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with setting English language: Hello Everyone, As I travel to the north on regular occasions, I bought a Lenovo G585 laptop in Spain, where I live. It had W.7.Home Premium installed in Spanish. I have now upgraded it with the free installation of W.10. As with all things downloaded in Spain, there is...