Windows 10: In this case customize file names colour coding is only the solution

Discus and support In this case customize file names colour coding is only the solution in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In the below article shows that Windows don't have such option (customize file names colour coding) :... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Khalid.M.A, Apr 16, 2019.

1. In this case customize file names colour coding is only the solution

In the below article shows that Windows don't have such option (customize file names colour coding) :

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_other-mso_365hp/color-code-file-names/18e47aad-2c59-4eaa-a6b8-6686ed815677

What I what to say is that, file names colour code customization is not only recommended for organizing files but also in some cases it is mandatory. As an example I am working in a big company, in a specific share folder all events reports pdf files are named with unique standard file naming and kept in that folder, now, the only way to distinguish updated files (updated to the company database) is possible through colouring the updated files name in the same folder. You may think that it may be possible to do the same by moving updated pdf files (events reports) to another folder, but unfortunately in such scenario file may duplicates because clients will no more longer receive Window warning popup "There is already a file with the same name in this location" so the same pdf file may saves again in the share folder. For this reason files colour coding is the best solution to avoid duplication.

There are some third party applications providing such facilities as in the below link:

http://filemarker.net/file-marker-free.php

thanks to them, but unfortunately it is difficult to get a third party applications in some companies.

Windows request to provide the same.

:)

Khalid.M.A, Apr 16, 2019

2. Printer default colour

If you have the time, could you do as I suggested giving me a step x step in case I have missed something please.

frenchman96, Apr 16, 2019
  3. Vesao Win User
    Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Apr 16, 2019
  4. In this case customize file names colour coding is only the solution

Color Coding the File Names

For those of us who work on large projects that contain hundreds of files, it would be really helpful if we could just color code the file names. This could be done in File Explorer and would be reflected throughout Office and other apps.

Use Cases:

• If there were a team sharing a directory of files, but there was a lead person in charge of each file, the file names could be color codded with a different color for each person.
    • I use a distinct color for the files that have to be edited or fixed as opposed to the many others which are in black.
    • There is a project where there is a requirement for keeping a record of all stages of the work as it goes through various stages. For example, a manual is being produced in Word or Publisher. There might be several drafts of the text and/or chapters or
      sections are continuously added. Now we add a date to the file name (sometimes we use a version number), but soon we end up with dozens of files and have to look for the most current one. Mistakes are easily made. If we could just have the current file
      in a distinct color, time would be saved, as well as mistakes reduced. This is especially needed for Government Work where often it is a legal requirement, but it also ios useful when we may want to roll back to a previous version.
    • In an extension of the previous case, we are creating a curriculum consisting of 17 different on line courses. Each course has a history of many file versions. But there is one current file for each. We want to keep all the files in one directory because
      we are always cutting and pasting from one to another and changing a term in all, etc. If the current version file were in a distinct color that would be helpful.
    • If there were various stages a file went through such as draft, draft submitted for approval, draft approval, draft disapproved, sent to copy editor, copy edited, etc, we could use the color coding for simple project management without using other software.
    • Programmers could do the same for versions of their code regarding testing stages or approvals and supervisors who are not technically sophisticated, just by scanning the director can get a good idea of the status of things.
    I'm sure there are many others and I would welcome additional ideas.

Once color coding of file names is possible, the next steps could be another sorting option for directories (by color). then there could be a table of color meanings and perhaps a tie in with the existing color coding in outlook.

I have used Windows from the first Beta version to Windows 10, and in all that time there has only been one improvement and that was allowing longer file names which was a big one. However, with everything else improving the file listing process has remained
    the same. It certainly was good, but everything can be made better.

Lewis D. Eigen, Apr 16, 2019
Thema:

In this case customize file names colour coding is only the solution

1. In this case customize file names colour coding is only the solution - Similar Threads - case customize file

2. Solution to case # 7028641952

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Solution to case # 7028641952: Hello, Please refrence case # 7028641952This is a courtesy communication to explain to Microsoft that the issue I was having with my attempts to upgrade to Windows 11 have finally been solved. After 2 different Microsoft representatives logged on with me thru remote mode,...
  3. Solution to case # 7028641952

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Solution to case # 7028641952: Hello, Please refrence case # 7028641952This is a courtesy communication to explain to Microsoft that the issue I was having with my attempts to upgrade to Windows 11 have finally been solved. After 2 different Microsoft representatives logged on with me thru remote mode,...
  4. how to change file names from lower case to upper case in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change file names from lower case to upper case in windows 11: When saving file name with all CAPS and "_" to separate words, it will convert. all letters after first character to lowercase, I want the whole file name to be in CAPS. Thanks,Bill P...
  5. how to change file names from lower case to upper case in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change file names from lower case to upper case in windows 11: When saving file name with all CAPS and "_" to separate words, it will convert. all letters after first character to lowercase, I want the whole file name to be in CAPS. Thanks,Bill P...
  6. In this case customize files colour coding is only the solution

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    In this case customize files colour coding is only the solution: In the below article shows that Windows don't have such option (customize files colour coding) : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_other-mso_365hp/color-code-file-names/18e47aad-2c59-4eaa-a6b8-6686ed815677 What I what to say is that files...
  7. Customize file naming rules.

in Windows 10 Support
    Customize file naming rules.: Hello folks, I download a lot of scientific publications and I try to name them the same as the title. These publications have a rather big tendency of using a colon (:) in the titles and everytime it is in the file, I get an error that the colon is not a valid character for...
  8. Colour a file name in windows explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Colour a file name in windows explorer: I'm currently proof reading 100s of files in digital format from the original hard copy. Some have bits missing and the simplest way would be to be to change the file name colour so I can find it again easily at a later date. Ideally I would like to do this without hacking...
  9. Custom colour - what irony...!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom colour - what irony...!: Hi, in Settings, from here... [img] ..click Custom colour...I see... wait for it... you'll like this..promise.. [img] [img] Laptop, same display settings as 1703 and earlier... [img] Do you see that? I suppose it will vary with display and...
  10. Customizing Colours

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customizing Colours: I would like to make my taskbar Grey, but have all the accents be Pink, how is this possible. OR just make the pink you can choose a lighter one, because right now, when you choose any of the colours, they become darker than it shows on the taskbar. 9798