Windows 10: In Win10, how to search for text WITHIN files on disk?

Discus and support In Win10, how to search for text WITHIN files on disk? in Cortana to solve the problem; …as opposed to just file NAMES?... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Diadochos, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Diadochos Win User

In Win10, how to search for text WITHIN files on disk?

…as opposed to just file NAMES?

:)

Diadochos, Jun 2, 2019
  2. Matt_316 Win User

Searching Within Files

I have tried searching within files in Windows 10 for a string. However, through testing, it seems that when the string being searched for does not have a space in front, it ignores it. E.g. if the text in the file is 'The quick brown fox' and I search
    for 'quick', it will list the file. But if the search string is 'ick', then the file will not be listed despite the text obviously being there. Any suggestions?

Matt

Matt_316, Jun 2, 2019
  3. 95Viper Win User
  4. In Win10, how to search for text WITHIN files on disk?

File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Jun 2, 2019
Thema:

In Win10, how to search for text WITHIN files on disk?

1. In Win10, how to search for text WITHIN files on disk? - Similar Threads - Win10 search text

2. How do I open a pdf file and search for text within that file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I open a pdf file and search for text within that file?: I just bought a new laptop with windows 11 installed. When I double-click on a pdf file, it opens in Microsoft Edge. When I do a cl+f, it can't find the text in the file.I can't find the Adobe Acrobat Reader in the Apple Store. I am unable to find a good free app in the store...
  3. How do I open a pdf file and search for text within that file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I open a pdf file and search for text within that file?: I just bought a new laptop with windows 11 installed. When I double-click on a pdf file, it opens in Microsoft Edge. When I do a cl+f, it can't find the text in the file.I can't find the Adobe Acrobat Reader in the Apple Store. I am unable to find a good free app in the store...
  4. Searching within text files for a phrase with special characters?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching within text files for a phrase with special characters?: I have hundreds of plain text files chat logs, to be specific, and I need to find instances of a phrase explicitly in SQUARE BRACKETS e.g. [Phrase Here]. The phrase in question appears very often without the brackets, so trying to manually sort through File Explorer search...
  5. Searching within text files for a phrase with special characters?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching within text files for a phrase with special characters?: I have hundreds of plain text files chat logs, to be specific, and I need to find instances of a phrase explicitly in SQUARE BRACKETS e.g. [Phrase Here]. The phrase in question appears very often without the brackets, so trying to manually sort through File Explorer search...
  6. Searching within text files for a phrase with special characters?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Search in Windows 11 not searching within files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search in Windows 11 not searching within files: Since updating to Windows 11 have ongoing problem with search in file manager only searching document name, not contents. All search properties are set for searching content and I have done all recommended troubleshooting. At one point I managed to get it working after...
  8. syntax for searching for text within a particular file type

in Cortana
    syntax for searching for text within a particular file type: Hello. I want to find specific text within a file type with extension .RSpecifically, for exampleI tried a search like this:NCNA.tib ext:"R" and the resulting file does not show upa search like ext:"R" works and brings up all the R filesFurther, if I click on one of those...
  9. Win7 Colour and Appearance/Text Control Within Win10 Display Text

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win7 Colour and Appearance/Text Control Within Win10 Display Text: Hello all, I hope everyone is keeping well and safe! I just have a really quick question for everyone. Within Win7, you had a setting called "Windows Colour and Appearance" found within "Control Panel & Personalisation" Here you were able to choose a "on screen item or...
  10. Win7 Colour and Appearance/Text Control Within Win10 Display Text

in Windows 10 Support
    Win7 Colour and Appearance/Text Control Within Win10 Display Text: Hello all, I hope everyone is keeping well and safe! I just have a really quick question for everyone. Within Win7, you had a setting called "Windows Colour and Appearance" found within "Control Panel & Personalisation" Here you were able to choose a "on screen item or...