Windows 10: In Windows 11, opening existing files from a start menu causes them to open behind other...

Discus and support In Windows 11, opening existing files from a start menu causes them to open behind other... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; On my Windows 11 PC, opening existing image or text files from a start menu search causes them to open behind other windows. The problem doesn't occur... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by David S Trammell, Jun 21, 2024.

1. In Windows 11, opening existing files from a start menu causes them to open behind other...

On my Windows 11 PC, opening existing image or text files from a start menu search causes them to open behind other windows. The problem doesn't occur with MS Office docs, only existing files opened by Photos or Notepad. I also tested an mp3 opened with media player, and it opens normally in front of other windows. It may affect other programs, but none that I've tested so far. If I changed the file association to a 3rd party image or text editing program, the problem no longer occurs either.So this problem only occurs when opening existing files from a start menu search with Photos or Notepad

:)

David S Trammell, Jun 21, 2024

2. Windows 10 Start Menu won't open.

Hi Dougie,

Corrupted system files could be one of the reason why Start Menu is not opening.

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps listed in this article:
    Troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana
    see if it helps resolve the issue.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Ronalene Mat, Jun 21, 2024
  3. DH455 Win User
    Windows 11 Start Menu won't correctly open files

Regarding the first symptom of the original poster, I'm experiencing a problem with opening Office files from search, but in a slightly different way. Office documents like Word and Excel will open from the start menu but are constantly prompting me to pick a program to open them with. Someone else reported this particular issue here: "How to open this file" prompt after searching for Excel files - Microsoft Community.

Here are the steps to reproduce the problem from that thread:

1. Press Windows Key
    2. Start typing the name of a Word, Excel, or PowerPoint file.
    3. Press enter to open the file.
    4. Receive "How do you want to open this file?" question. (Selecting Always Use this App To Open checkbox is ignored for future attempts.)
    5. Click Ok
    6. File opens.
    Since I also use Notepad++, I tested if it would open in Notepad or Notepad++ when I searched for a text document from the start menu and found the following behavior:

Open through File Explorer: No problem - opens in Notepad++ as configured and desired.

Open through Start Search: Ignores the system setting to open in Notepad++. It opens in Notepad instead.

This matches the experience of the second symptom of the original poster.

The problem happens on both of my Windows 11 computers, logged in through an Office 365 E3 licensed account. One of the computers was freshly installed from scratch a few days ago.

So it seems that the cause of this problem is that files opened from the Start menu are ignoring the system setting for which app to launch that file type. Any ideas on how to fix it?

DH455, Jun 21, 2024
  4. In Windows 11, opening existing files from a start menu causes them to open behind other...

Windows 11 Start Menu won't correctly open files

I have a relatively new (week-old) Windows 11 installation where I can't correctly open programs from the Start menu.

There are two distinct symptoms.

One is that files simply don't open.

• If I search for an Excel file ("MyReport", for example) I'll see "MyReport.xlsx" in the results. When I click on it, nothing happens -- the Start menu closes and the file does not open. If I open the path where the file was found in File Exporer, I can double-click on the file and open it with Excel with no issue.
    • If I paste the full file name (including path) into the start menu, the start menu closes and the file doesn't open.
    The other symptom is that files open with the incorrect association.

• I use Notepad++ for .TXT (and many other) file extensions. If I double-click on a *.TXT file in File Explorer, it opens in Notepad++ as I expect.
    • If search for a *.tXT file in Start Menu, then try to open it, it opens with Notepad, not Notepad++.
    • If I examine the settings for file extensions and their associations, I see that .XLSX files are correctly associated with Excel and .TXT files are correctly associated with Notepad++.

Rebuilding the search index completely didn't help.

Restarting the machine hasn't helped.

On my laptop, start menu works as I expect and these files open correctly.

Why isn't Start Menu working as I expect? How can I fix it?

Moderator note:: Moved from File, Folders and Storage

MikeBlaszczak, Jun 21, 2024
Thema:

In Windows 11, opening existing files from a start menu causes them to open behind other...

1. In Windows 11, opening existing files from a start menu causes them to open behind other... - Similar Threads - opening existing files

2. In Windows 11, opening existing files from a start menu causes them to open behind other...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In Windows 11, opening existing files from a start menu causes them to open behind other...: On my Windows 11 PC, opening existing image or text files from a start menu search causes them to open behind other windows. The problem doesn't occur with MS Office docs, only existing files opened by Photos or Notepad. I also tested an mp3 opened with media player, and it...
  3. Windows 11 Start menu not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Start menu not opening: Windows 11 Start menu, including audio control not opening. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-start-menu-not-opening/d0fbf0fd-0c34-42b9-83fd-32f67e6dd570
  4. Windows 11 Start menu not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Start menu not opening: Windows 11 Start menu, including audio control not opening. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-start-menu-not-opening/d0fbf0fd-0c34-42b9-83fd-32f67e6dd570
  5. Application windows opening in the background; behind other windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Application windows opening in the background; behind other windows: For a couple of years I have had increasing problems with application windows and dialog boxes opening up behind other windows with no indication that they have opened. Lately this had become an extreme nuisance. Does anyone know how to get a newly opened application or...
  6. Apps won't open from taskbar, or open behind all other open screens

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Apps won't open from taskbar, or open behind all other open screens: I have a new Dell computer running on Windows 10. Upon originally setting it up, the taskbar either 1. Will not open any of the apps on it, or 2. if it does open an app, it opens it up behind ever other currently open screen. You can only open apps on the front screen by...
  7. File explorer not opening from start menu (repost)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer not opening from start menu (repost): [ATTACH] REPOST, ORIGINAL HERE I recently changed my Windows 10 theme and now I can't open folders in file explorer from the start menu. It works fine with apps but it just doesn't work with folders. I tried restarting and it still doesn't work. I tried searching for...
  8. File explorer not opening from start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer not opening from start menu: [ATTACH] I recently changed my Windows 10 theme and now I can't open folders in file explorer from the start menu. It works fine with apps but it just doesn't work with folders. I tried restarting and it still doesn't work. I tried searching for solutions but they were...
  9. Open new windows behind other windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open new windows behind other windows: Hey there, Is there anyway I can get newly opened windows or applications to always open behind existing windows? Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-new-windows-behind-other-windows/755d32cb-dd40-4c45-a03e-19892ec8511b
  10. Inability to open file explorer from start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Inability to open file explorer from start menu: I am not able to open the file explorer through the option on the start menu, or by clicking on the file explorer pinned to the task bar. When I click the pinned file explorer the window that pops up says "Windows cannot find ''. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and...