Windows 10: in Windows Explorer navigation pane, set default to collapse folders

Discus and support in Windows Explorer navigation pane, set default to collapse folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; it is really annoying to have to scroll way up in navigation pane to top (quick access items). I wish we could set some or all the items that are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by drumtrucker, Oct 13, 2015.

1. in Windows Explorer navigation pane, set default to collapse folders

it is really annoying to have to scroll way up in navigation pane to top (quick access items). I wish we could set some or all the items that are expanded to be collapsed when opening an explorer window.

:)

drumtrucker, Oct 13, 2015

2. [Windows Explorer; W10] Navigation Pane Double-Click Disable

Double-clicking an item in the Navigation Pane causes that item to be permanently expanded. Sure, you can collapse the item temporarily... but, if you navigate to any of its subdirectories through the main view, the Navigation Pane item auto expands itself.

I would definitely appreciate the ability to choose what Navigation Pane item is expanded/collapsed regardless of the actions I perform in the main view itself.

So, is there any way that I can set up Navigation Pane on Windows Explorer in Windows 10 so that a collapsed item on the Navigation Pane can ONLY be expanded if I expand it on the Navigation Pane?

hydroArgentum202, Oct 13, 2015
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer navigation pane automatically expands/collapses folder tree

Open Start -> Programs -> Classic Shell -> Classic Explorer Settings. On the Navigation pane tab (or Basic Settings tab), set the option to "Windows Vista" style. It might be on Windows XP Simple. Simple Folder View (auto collapse when expanding the other
    folder) was a feature which was removed after XP. Classic Shell only optionally restores this behavior but retains the Vista option.

The default is Windows Vista option in fact. You must have changed it to Windows XP Simple and are now complaining.

Gaurav Kale, Oct 13, 2015
Thema:

in Windows Explorer navigation pane, set default to collapse folders

1. in Windows Explorer navigation pane, set default to collapse folders - Similar Threads - Explorer navigation pane

2. Windows 10 Explorer navigation pane order

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Explorer navigation pane order: Hey there, I'm trying to find out, if there is any way to rearrange the order of items in the Windows 10 explorer's navigation pane (the one on the left hand side). Currently, the "Quick Access" list is on top, followed by "OneDrive" and "This PC" is the last one. I'd like...
  3. Expand File Explorer Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Expand File Explorer Navigation Pane: Now and then I want to view the full folder tree in Navigation Pane of File Explorer. There are some options to keep the folder tree open, but most of the time they are a pain in the butt. When I do want the tree visible, I have to go to the root disk and open each parent...
  4. Navigation Pane - Will Not Expand to Open Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Navigation Pane - Will Not Expand to Open Folder: Like the title says, I cannot get the navigation pane to expand to the currently open folder right now on one of my machines, it stays stuck on either Desktop or Quick Access. And mainly when navigating one of the virtual folders, like "My Documents". I think I need to go...
  5. navigation pane

in Windows 10 Support
    navigation pane: where do I control the navigation pane in w10 113744
  6. Modify Folder Icons Under "This PC" In Explorer/Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Customization
    Modify Folder Icons Under "This PC" In Explorer/Navigation Pane: As well directed by Brink I am starting this thread here as I was working off a tutorial with changing Library Icons when this problem came up, for your referencing delight ->> Change Library Icon in Windows 10 I was able to get the library icons changed however I am...
  7. Explorer crashing when right clicking folders on Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer crashing when right clicking folders on Navigation Pane: Hi there Recently I've been experiencing a weird problem with Windows 10. Right clicking any folders on the pane on the left - the one with folders, libraries etc. causes explorer to freeze and then crash. I can right click on files and folders in the main explorer...
  8. "Documents" folder multiplying in navigation pane

in Windows 10 Support
    "Documents" folder multiplying in navigation pane: I have this problem on my fresh Windows 10 Pro x64 installtion where the documents folder keep multiplying in the file explorer navigation pane, it sometimes appears when I'm using the file explorer or leave it open in the background for a while. The system folders...
  9. Remove/Hide folders in navigation pane in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove/Hide folders in navigation pane in Windows Explorer: Hi, I read the tutorial about Libraries, which doesn't cover my question. I do not use the Documents, Music, Pictures, or Videos folders and I 'd like to get them off the navigation pane, is there a way to do that? 78713
  10. Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Support
    Navigation Pane: Can anyone tell me how to get the folders in the navigation pane of file explorer to expand to show the sub folders. If I right click the folder, 'Expand' is greyed out. This has only happened since the AU. Thank you 64888