Windows 10: In Windows is there a Dvorak keyboard that works as Qwerty when CTRL?

Discus and support In Windows is there a Dvorak keyboard that works as Qwerty when CTRL? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Mac, there is a keyboard that normally works as dvorak but whenever pressing the command key for shortcut, it uses qwerty layout. Is there such a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by satel, Oct 5, 2020.

1. satel Win User

In Windows is there a Dvorak keyboard that works as Qwerty when CTRL?

In Mac, there is a keyboard that normally works as dvorak but whenever pressing the command key for shortcut, it uses qwerty layout. Is there such a keyboard in Win?

For example, normally in qwerty to copy it would be cmd plus c, and in dvorak that would be cmd plus i (because in dvorak the i key works as c) but in that other dvorak keyboard I'm talking about cmd c is cmd c, not cmd i.

:)

satel, Oct 5, 2020

2. Windows 10 Fails to Properly Work with Dvorak Keyboard

No, this is a bug in Windows that I can reproduce on 100% of the systems (admittedly only 5 so far) that I've tried. My configuration may be obscure, but here are the steps to reproduce and a work-around I finally found that fixes:

• Set up a keyboard on a Windows 10 computer as Dvorak. In all of my cases, this was the only keyboard installed and installed that way during the Windows 10 installation (as opposed to added after the OS was setup). I'm not sure if the time the keyboard
      was set matters.
    • Access the Windows 10 computer via Remote Desktop from another computer also running a Dvorak keyboard (can be running Windows 7 or Windows 10, possibly other OS's too, but only tested with those two). I don't know that remote computer also must be using
      a Dvorak keyboard, but all of my computers use only Dvorak keyboards, so all of my test cases were set up this way.
    • There will now be an entry from the Language bar in the systray, showing ENG DV. However, once this appears, even though there is no QWERTY keyboard installed, Windows will seemingly randomly shift to QWERTY keyboard while typing. Pressing Win+space will
      flip the keyboard back to Dvorak.

In #3, I've finally figured out that it's NOT random. It's that it SOMETIMES happens when pressing Ctrl-Shift (it may be consistent, depending on which Ctrl and Shift (left or right) are being used, but I've not tested further), which is a key combination
    for shifting keyboards set up by default.

This is clearly a bug, because there is no QWERTY keyboard installed. It should not be able to change to any other keyboard.

It does not work to add and remove a QWERTY keyboard. It also does not help to go into Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region\Language\Advanced Settings and set the Override for default input method to Dvorak, as has been suggested in another thread.

However, what DOES work is:

• Go to that same Advanced Settings page: Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region\Language\Advanced settings
    • Under Switching input methods, click on "Change language bar hot keys".
    • Select "Between input languages" and click on "Change Key Sequence..."
    • Select "Not Assigned" for both options.
    • Hit OK, OK, Save

Problem solved.

But this is a work-around for an MS bug in Windows 10.

GraniteStateColin, Oct 5, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Fails to Properly Work with Dvorak Keyboard

I have set my Keyboard to English (United States)-Dvorak on my desktop and laptop at installation of Windows 10. I have never installed the standard US (QWERTY) keyboard layout. In prior editions of Windows, leaving out the QWERTY keyboard altogether was
    the only way to be sure the keyboard would not occasionally revert to QWERTY.

At first, this appears to work fine in Windows 10... for a while. But alas, no. Every few minutes while typing, the keyboard will flip to QWERTY. In the lower right Systray, just to the left of the clock, it shows "ENG DV" when the keyboard is properly in
    Dvorak mode. That changes to ENG US when it flips to QWERTY.

It's a quick keypress of Win+Spacebar to fix it and return to Dvorak, so the workaround is minor, but it's hugely annoying that this happens at all. For the majority of you QWERTY users, imagine that in the middle of typing, all of a sudden everything starts
    coming out as garbage.

Effectively, the Windows 10 keyboard system is broken, if you use Dvorak, something Microsoft has supported properly since at least Windows 3.1. To be clear: this is definitely a new problem with Windows 10.

I have checked the Keyboards installed under Language > Language options, and the only listed Input method is "United States-Dvorak".

How can I fix this? How can I stop it from randomly and sporadically shifting keyboards on me in the middle of my typing?

Is there a way to disable the Win+Spacebar to shift keyboards? While that's currently my only way back to a working keyboard, maybe disabling it would also stop Windows from shifting in the other direction in the first place. If it never leaves Dvorak, I'd
    never need to switch back.

If nothing else, how do we report this as a bug? I have submitted it through Windows Feedback. Is that the only option?

4. In Windows is there a Dvorak keyboard that works as Qwerty when CTRL?

Windows 10 Fails to Properly Work with Dvorak Keyboard

Thank you. That page describes the process in Windows 8, which is a little different from Windows 10, but it was close enough I was able to find that page. I had not setting the "Override for default input method" before. I changed that from "Use a language
    list (recommended)" to "English (United States) - United States-Dvorak" (note that this is the only other option listed, which is part why it's so weird it ever flips to QWERTY -- there is no QWERTY keyboard even installed).

However, after changing it, typing this very message, the keyboard again flipped to QWERTY. Perhaps I need to restart the computer? I'll try that too.

Meanwhile, I should add one more bit of data that may help diagnostically:

If I remove the QWERTY keyboard through the Language Preferences, it appears to stay removed (so no flipping away from Dvorak), until I login again from a Remote Desktop session and then disconnect. This may be why this problem is not widely reported. It
    appears to be an interaction between a Dvorak Keyboard and use of Remote Desktop.

Thema:

In Windows is there a Dvorak keyboard that works as Qwerty when CTRL?

1. In Windows is there a Dvorak keyboard that works as Qwerty when CTRL? - Similar Threads - Dvorak keyboard works

2. I am struggling to change my QWERTY keyboard to DVORAK keyboard for an assignment.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am struggling to change my QWERTY keyboard to DVORAK keyboard for an assignment.: I cannot seem to find out how to change it on settings and if software is needed to change the layout what software would that be. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-struggling-to-change-my-qwerty-keyboard-to/22a3d244-12af-4855-b578-5bebe5eb97f2
  3. I am struggling to change my QWERTY keyboard to DVORAK keyboard for an assignment.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I am struggling to change my QWERTY keyboard to DVORAK keyboard for an assignment.: I cannot seem to find out how to change it on settings and if software is needed to change the layout what software would that be. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-struggling-to-change-my-qwerty-keyboard-to/22a3d244-12af-4855-b578-5bebe5eb97f2
  4. I am struggling to change my QWERTY keyboard to DVORAK keyboard for an assignment.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Keyboard keys not working on US QWERTY keyboard but work on UK QWERTY keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard keys not working on US QWERTY keyboard but work on UK QWERTY keyboard: On my Surface Book 2, when I have the US International QWERTY region keyboard installed, the bottom row of keys has recently stopped working Z, X,C, V, B, N, M. I tried changing to the UK QWERTY region keyboard and these same bottom row keys work. I want to use the US...
  6. Keyboard keys not working on US QWERTY keyboard but work on UK QWERTY keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard keys not working on US QWERTY keyboard but work on UK QWERTY keyboard: On my Surface Book 2, when I have the US International QWERTY region keyboard installed, the bottom row of keys has recently stopped working Z, X,C, V, B, N, M. I tried changing to the UK QWERTY region keyboard and these same bottom row keys work. I want to use the US...
  7. In Windows is there a Dvorak keyboard that works as Qwerty when CTRL?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    In Windows is there a Dvorak keyboard that works as Qwerty when CTRL?: In Mac, there is a keyboard that normally works as dvorak but whenever pressing the command key for shortcut, it uses qwerty layout. Is there such a keyboard in Win? For example, normally in qwerty to copy it would be cmd plus c, and in dvorak that would be cmd plus i...
  8. Dvorak Keyboard

Dvorak Keyboard: How do I get rid of the Dvorak keyboard? Don't have one, don't need the Windows 10 Pro to switch to Dvorak. I'm using an engllsh US keyboard. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvorak-keyboard/4732f2aa-d9c5-40b7-9e18-d9b154203a78
  9. Dvorak keyboard

Dvorak keyboard: I use both QWERTY and Dvorak keyboard layout settings. I haven’t had any issues with switching keyboard settings before. It was enough to press WINDOWS + SPACE. But a few days ago this feature stopped working and I cannot find Dvorak keyboard in my computer. I tried to...
  10. qwerty changes to Dvorak. Don't know why.

in Windows 10 Support
    qwerty changes to Dvorak. Don't know why.: In the last month and a half, for unknown reasons, my keyboard has switched from qwerty to Dvorak 6 or 7 times. I don't know how to switch it back except to restart my PC. Any ideas about what I'm doing to cause the switch?*Redface Thank you 113653