Windows 10: Inaccessible boot device after reboot from Update

Discus and support Inaccessible boot device after reboot from Update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Sorry, I read through the posting instructions, but due to the nature of the problem, I can not provide a crash log or a screen shot because I can not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Fakum, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Fakum Win User

Inaccessible boot device after reboot from Update

Sorry, I read through the posting instructions, but due to the nature of the problem, I can not provide a crash log or a screen shot because I can not get past the Repair/Diagnose loop.

My Windows 10 pro has been running just fine until yesterday when I did an update. After the update and reboot, I get stuck in a loop stating the system cant start because of "Inaccessible boot device". It goes thru a process of restarting itself and self diagnostics and repair, but it keeps looping without fixing itself. I do get to select options such as boot up in safe mode but it wont, it goes back in that loop. I can boot into the Bios, I have an SSD that has always been set to ACHI mode, and it is. I just cant get out of this loop?

The only fortunate thing is that I have backup image files, so I do a quick secure erase of the SSD and reload the image fresh. All goes well until I do the Windows update, then reboot into this problem. I disabled Updates for the moment and spent a lot of hours on Google and YouTube, nothing I found so far has worked, so I figured I would try a fresh start here. Please advise, thanks

:)

Fakum, Oct 16, 2015
  2. lowrider2 Win User

Windows 10 - 14393.953 has 3.99 TB bug in Disk CleanUp

Anyone have a solution for inaccessible boot device after disk cleanup ? It worked fine the first time after reboot after creators update but after then cleaning the windows.old with cleanmgr.exe it gave a nice inaccessible boot device error. Does anyone
    what exactly cleanmgr.exe removed when you ticked the 3.99TB ? I must admit I overlooked the fact it said TB as opposed to GB.

lowrider2, Oct 16, 2015
  3. Critical process died error - windows 10 anniversary update power fail - can't boot

Hi.

I renamed the file and attempted to reboot. Upon reboot, it failed with the message "Inaccessible Boot Device" so I re-booted from the Windows 10 disk and am now back at the command prompt.

John_MacLerran, Oct 16, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi Fakum,

Please do not use Windows Update before we have made sure the SSD and system files are fine.

Please try following:
    • Open an admin command prompt
    • Copy/paste "sfc/scannow" (without quotes) and press enter
    • When it finished reboot your system
    • Open again an admin command prompt
    • Enter sfc/scannow again
    If sfc/scannow does NOT say "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violation" after the second SFC, please upload the cbs.log file located at {windows partition}\Windows\Logs\CBS\, if the file is too large try a 3rd party uploader like dropbox, onedrive, google drive, mediafire etc.
    System File Check(SFC a.k.a. Windows Resource Protection) needs to have your system rebooted in order for sfc to try to fix the problems that it finds.

Inaccessible boot device after reboot from Update [​IMG]
    Diagnostics Test
    HDD & SSD TEST

Run chkdsk Disk Check - Windows 7 Help Forums

5. Fakum Win User
    Thank you for the prompt response and easy to follow instructions.
    It DOES say "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"

Fakum, Oct 16, 2015
  6. Fakum Win User
    Is there something else I can try to do to resolve this? Thanks,

Fakum, Oct 17, 2015
  7. axe0 New Member
    What is the result of chkdsk?

8. Fakum Win User

ohhh,, I didn't do that,, I seen that in your post but I thought it might have been part of your signature or common banner,,,sorry,, I will do that now and report back. Thanks

Fakum, Oct 17, 2015
  9. axe0 New Member
  10. Fakum Win User
    Thanks,, I did use that approach last week and hid the selected updates, but it did not work. I tried again now with the addition of something new as described in the link to disable auto updates, and that was the use of " Local Group Policy Editor". So I followed hat procedure, then the procedure to use the utility to hide the updates. So I selected the updates I wanted to hide, all went well, I went to Security and Updates again to check for updates, and those particular updates I chose to Hide were still available to update? Anyway, I confirmed they were indeed hidden through the hide utility, and I proceeded to see what it would do if I agreed to allow the update. It processed it, I checked the update history and it said it was done successfully , then I went and selected uninstall updates, and they are not there to select? Confusing,, but I rebooted and it did not go into the BSOD loop this time,,, I guess I cant complain,,, thanks fro the help. I'm a bit confused why the updates I choose to hide still show up as available updates and it says it has done so when I check the history, but its not in the list of updates to uninstall?

Fakum, Oct 17, 2015
  11. axe0 New Member
    I don't understand that either, but I'm glad to hear your didn't got the BSOD loop *Smile

12. Fakum Win User
    Roger That! Lets hope I don't have to continue this ,,, thanks again!

Fakum, Oct 17, 2015
  13. Fakum Win User

What a buggy little devil! 2 days in a row I booted up to that pesky looping BSOD again! Had to do a quick secure erase and restore. The only update I found that seemed to occur was a security update for internet explorer flash player (KB3105216), but when I reboot, I get to the desktop with no issue? I can uninstall this if I want, but its not an option in the show/hide utility to keep it from installing again. Whats the next test here or setting please? Thanks

Fakum, Oct 20, 2015
  14. axe0 New Member
    Do you perhaps have any dump files in {windows partition}\Windows\Minidump\ ?
    If so, please use the BSOD log collector tool again and upload the zip file.

15. Fakum Win User
    Well,, heres the thing, and it may be because I don't understand these things,,, but in order to get a dump file, wouldn't you have to be able to boot up to the desktop, even in safe mode at minimal? The BSOD I get just loops thru Diagnostics and Repair, I can get into a bot menu, one of the options is to boot up in safe mode, but it wont. no matter what option I select, it goes into that loop. I cant get to a point to retrieve a boot log. Unless I'm missing something I can try otherwise? Thanks,

Fakum, Oct 21, 2015
Thema:

1. Inaccessible boot device after reboot from Update - Similar Threads - Inaccessible boot device

2. Inaccessible Boot Device after Windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inaccessible Boot Device after Windows 11 update: So I've been using Windows 11 which was a Clean Install on my custom built PC.I have a NVMe SSD and a couple of other SSD and HDD in it.Windows is installed on NVMe SSD. After a recent Windows Update a few weeks ago, which required a restart - I got a BSOD "Inaccessible Boot...
  3. Inaccessible Boot Device after Windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Inaccessible Boot Device after Windows 11 update: So I've been using Windows 11 which was a Clean Install on my custom built PC.I have a NVMe SSD and a couple of other SSD and HDD in it.Windows is installed on NVMe SSD. After a recent Windows Update a few weeks ago, which required a restart - I got a BSOD "Inaccessible Boot...
  4. Inaccessible boot device after migration

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Inaccessible boot device after migration: Inaccessible boot device after migration, actually the migration process is not complete and this error displayed, please help me how to figure this out without losing my files from hdd...
  5. "Inaccessible boot device" BSOD after October update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Inaccessible boot device" BSOD after October update: I would consider myself a somewhat experienced PC user but don't know how to get this fixed. Hope there is an expert here who can help. I shut down my PC Win 10 64bit. It's a build 1809, I believe three days ago - Windows insisted on installing updates before shutdown....
  6. Inaccessible Boot Device

in Windows 10 Support
    Inaccessible Boot Device: I fired up my PC yesterday morning and was welcomed by the dreaded BSOD. It told me that it had run into a problem caused by an inaccessible boot device. There are numerous help sites on the web that explain how to deal with this issue. I tried every one of them bar one and...
  7. Inaccessible Boot Device

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Inaccessible Boot Device: Hello there!!! So, recently I put a new SSD on my laptop and I have kept the old HDD one as an external drive. The SSD has Xubuntu and the HDD Windows 10 and Lite (tried to dualboot it some time ago). When I connect the old HDD I the laptop and have the Boot Manager start...
  8. Win10 BSOD After Updates - Inaccessible Boot Device

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 BSOD After Updates - Inaccessible Boot Device: Win10 Pro HW: Gigabyte Z5 MB, Gefore1070, EVO500 SSD Machine has been running finre for a long time. So my machine updated some stuff on the 5th sometime after midnight. Win10 Window logo comes up, white dots rotate for a bit, then BSOD: Inaccessible boot device. Safe Mode...
  9. Inaccessible Boot Device Error After BIOS Update

Inaccessible Boot Device Error After BIOS Update: Hello, My computer keeps giving me an error saying “ inaccessible boot device” whenever I start my computer. It started after updating my MSI Z370-A Pro motherboard’s bios. I have no idea what to do. Specs: I5-8400 1 tb HDD GTX 1060 16 gb of ram please help!!...
  10. INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE after Win10 Update

INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE after Win10 Update: Specs: Intel i7 4770k GTX 1070 Win 10 Pro msi z87 g45 Windows installed in december on a new SSD Also have 1 storage SSD and 4 HDD in two different raid. All formatted in December after having issues unrelated to current issue. Windows installed fresh on the new...