Windows 10: Inaccessible boot device after updating from April 2018 to May 2019 update

Discus and support Inaccessible boot device after updating from April 2018 to May 2019 update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Currently running a dual-boot system on a Lenovo Yoga 730 with manjaro and windows 10. Upon restarting and allowing Windows Update to upgrade to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Tristan T, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Tristan T Win User

Inaccessible boot device after updating from April 2018 to May 2019 update

Currently running a dual-boot system on a Lenovo Yoga 730 with manjaro and windows 10.

Upon restarting and allowing Windows Update to upgrade to the May 2019 update, I get a stop error with INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

Initially, GRUB menu wouldn't appear, but has now appears but will not boot linux.

How do I go about fixing this?

:)

Tristan T, Aug 14, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Windows 10 April 2018 Update(SCU) Partially Breaks MKV File Support?

I updated to main computer to the April 2018 Update, AKA Spring Creators Update, and it seems like they've taken a step backward with MKV file support. When I go into the properties of an MKV file on the Fall Creators Update, if I go to the details tab it gives me a bunch of detail about he media file, like resolution, framerate, audio information and bitrate. However, if I go into the same file's properties on the April 2018 Update, almost all of the information is blank, it only gives me a runtime and bitrate.

I really just want to confirm that this isn't just my computer and other's are experiencing the same thing.

FCU:

Inaccessible boot device after updating from April 2018 to May 2019 update fcu-png.png

April 2018 Update:

Inaccessible boot device after updating from April 2018 to May 2019 update scu-png.png

newtekie1, Aug 14, 2019
  3. Drone Win User
    Drone, Aug 14, 2019
  4. zbook Win User

INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE after Win10 Update

1) Find a flash drive that you can format ( > or = 8 GB)
    2) Create a bootable windows 10 iso:
    Download Windows 10
    4) Insert the flash drive into any USB port
    5) Open the BIOS and temporarily change boot order so that you can boot using the flash drive.
    6) When the iso loads choose language, time, currency, and keyboard, or click next
    7) In the left lower corner click "repair your computer"
    8) Click troubleshoot
    9) Click command prompt
    This should open: Administrator: X:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources>

For all of the steps please use a camera or smart phone camera to take pictures and post images into the thread.

10) type: bcdedit | find "osdevice"
    11) This may display osdevice partition=C:
    12) type: diskpart
    13) type: list disk
    14) type: list volume
    15) look under the column heading Fs for any volume that displayed RAW instead of NTFS
    16) type: chkdsk /f /r G: (change G to the drive letter of the volume displaying RAW)
    It may display "The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt."
    This may then convert the RAW volume to NTFS.
    17) Type: exit
    18) reboot to open the Windows advanced troubleshooting menu > command prompt > Administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources>
    19) type: bootrec /rebuildbcd
    It may display:
    Scanning all disks for Windows installations.
    Please wait, since this may take a while...
    Successfully scanned Windows installations.
    Total identified Windows installations: 1
    [1] D:\Windows
    Add installation to boot list? Yes(Y)/No(N)/ALL(A):
    20) Type: Y
    The operation completed successfully.
    X:\Windows>
    21) Type: exit
    22) reboot
    See if the inaccessible boot device problem was fixed.

If the above did not fix the inaccessible boot device the next step is to remove the recent update:
    23) Open command prompt > Administrator: X:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources>
    24) From the first command displaying the partition if the drive letter is different than C: please use the displayed drive letter for the next step
    25) type: DISM /image:G:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions (change G to the applicable drive letter)
    26) This should remove the latest update and fix the inaccessible boot device.
    27) If this does not fix the inaccessible boot device plan a registry repair.

Report into the thread your progress with images of the above steps.

zbook, Aug 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Inaccessible boot device after updating from April 2018 to May 2019 update - Similar Threads - Inaccessible boot device

2. Fail to boot after Update May 2020 - Inaccessible boot device

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fail to boot after Update May 2020 - Inaccessible boot device: After update in May Windows doesn't start any more. Blue screen with message above. Run any proposed ways of repairing... but didn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fail-to-boot-after-update-may-2020-inaccessible/f3364a1f-df96-4aab-b71e-ad82f0f38cd3
  3. Windows 10 April 2018 Update ends November 2019

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 April 2018 Update ends November 2019: Is this, Windows 10 April 2018 Update ends November 2019 an scam or a real update that must be installed before November 2019? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-april-2018-update-ends-november-2019/9bd442b2-ad3d-4443-be19-868954437077"
  4. BSOD: Inaccessible boot device after updating from April 2018 to May 2019 update

BSOD: Inaccessible boot device after updating from April 2018 to May 2019 update: Currently running a dual-boot system on a Lenovo Yoga 730 with manjaro and windows 10. Upon restarting and allowing Windows Update to upgrade to the May 2019 update, I get a stop error with INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Initially, GRUB menu wouldn't appear, but has now appears...
  5. May 2019 Update, wont boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    May 2019 Update, wont boot: was waiting for the new May 2019 Update from Windows 10. They had a Update assistant and I thought if there was anything that did not work or not correct it would now allow my computer to be upgraded. I read about the issued with a external USB device attached so I just...
  6. April 2018 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    April 2018 update: My PC automatically updated the April windows 10 update and ever since it has been slow and wont connect to any device via any connection method including the basics such as using a USB cable and bluetooth....
  7. AdDuplex report for May 2018 on Windows 10 April 2018 Update

in Windows 10 News
    AdDuplex report for May 2018 on Windows 10 April 2018 Update: Windows 10 PC OS Versions Worldwide [img] April 2018 Update managed to reach 50% of Windows 10 PCs in just one month. Windows 10 PC OS Version History [img] With 50% market share in just one month 1803 (aka April 2018 Update) is the fastest spreading Windows 10...
  8. update april 2018

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    update april 2018: i 've proceed to the last upgrade but this turned me into some problem. see annexes [img] i had never this app installed, nor i cannot find it trough device manager also i cannot save anymore files by my official photoshop since i have annouce as follows [img] before the...
  9. Inaccessible boot device after reboot from Update

Inaccessible boot device after reboot from Update: Sorry, I read through the posting instructions, but due to the nature of the problem, I can not provide a crash log or a screen shot because I can not get past the Repair/Diagnose loop. My Windows 10 pro has been running just fine until yesterday when I did an update....
  10. Inaccessible-boot-device after January 2018 Updates - Partially Solved

in Windows 10 Support
    Inaccessible-boot-device after January 2018 Updates - Partially Solved: Inaccessible Boot Drive after Update? Solved - Page 4 - Windows 10 Forums Mine Started there in that forum - and I was not Original OP so I agree - should have created a new thread as I was working through it.. Systems I encountered error on Dell T5500 precision...