Windows 10: Inaccessible folder in C:\Windows\Temp

Discus and support Inaccessible folder in C:\Windows\Temp in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; There's a folder in C:\Windows\Temp named {B7E977B5-9799-4D8C-AEB6-4694B3C310A9} that is accessible. i like to keep temp folders clear to free up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by enderbc, Jan 14, 2021.

1. enderbc Win User

Inaccessible folder in C:\Windows\Temp

There's a folder in C:\Windows\Temp named {B7E977B5-9799-4D8C-AEB6-4694B3C310A9} that is accessible. i like to keep temp folders clear to free up valuable, limited space on my lap top.

When attempting to access this folder i get: "You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder."

When clicking Continue i get: "You have been denied permission to access this folder. To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab."

The security tab is blank except for "You must have Read permission to view the properties of this object.

Click Advanced to continue" and "For special permissions or advanced settings, click Advanced." and the Advanced button.

When i click on Advanced i get the regular Advanced settings window, but it shows the same as the security tab:

"You must have Read permission to view the properties of this object." Also it shows:"Click Continue to attempt the operations with administrative permissions"

Clicking Continues makes the window go blank except for the file location up top and the statement "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings."

If i reopen the window and click the "change" button in the Owner section up top, i get the same message.

i have tried getting rid of this folder using everything i can think of and i can think of a lot! including trying to delete it using an elevated command prompt and DOS. Short of formatting the HDD i can't find any way to delete it.

i am highly security conscious and have literally wasted days on this, as well as scouring the internet for a solution.

i consider myself a pretty savvy user and am comfortable functioning in the registry, DOS, Command Prompt and the CMOS and though i'd appreciate your help, please don't ask questions like: "Have you tried rebooting your computer?"

Thanks in advance for your time.

:)

enderbc, Jan 14, 2021

2. What is the difference between %TEMP% folder and the TEMP folder in C:\Windows\TEMP ?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you would like to know the difference between C:\ temp and %temp%. We will assist you.

Windows Temporary files are created by the operating system during the normal course of its running when there may not be enough memory allocated for the task.

Software which use large amounts of data like Graphics, Video or Media editing software also create temporary files.

Temporary files are also created for back up purposes by its respective programs. These temp files are left behind even after the task is over which leads to disk space usage.

The Temporary Files in Windows are typically found located in two locations:

• %systemdrive%\Windows\Temp
    • %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp
    The Temporary files created by the Windows operating system are usually stored in the %system%\Windows\Temp folderand this is where the system itself will put temporary files during installations.

The temporary files created by the User when running any software is stored in his user profile at %userprofiles%\AppData\Local\. The other folder typically located at C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp, is created for each User. This folder
    is hidden and you will have to first ‘un-hide’ System folders from the Folder Options.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jan 14, 2021
  3. Anusha Win User
    C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Inaccessible folder in C:\Windows\Temp ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Jan 14, 2021
  4. Vicky Acs Win User

about temp folder

Hi Hector,

The temp folder provides work space for programs. Yes they can be deleted. We suggest that you follow the steps provided by Sangeeta Sarkar on how to delete Temp files on this

link
    . You may also type in the search box Disk Cleanup and hit enter. It will evaluate your disk and give you a list of folders sizes that can be deleted.

Keep us updated on the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Regards.

Vicky Acs, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

1. Inaccessible folder in C:\Windows\Temp - Similar Threads - Inaccessible folder WindowsTemp

2. What are these inaccessible folders in the C drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What are these inaccessible folders in the C drive?: I have a 3-month old rebuilt windows 10 desktop previous m/b failed, so replaced it, the cpu, RAM and the C drive with SSD that is showing a number of inaccessible folders in the C drive. Screenshot of this view, with hidden files shown option ticked, here:Every folder in the...
  3. What are these inaccessible folders in the C drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are these inaccessible folders in the C drive?: I have a 3-month old rebuilt windows 10 desktop previous m/b failed, so replaced it, the cpu, RAM and the C drive with SSD that is showing a number of inaccessible folders in the C drive. Screenshot of this view, with hidden files shown option ticked, here:Every folder in the...
  4. What are these inaccessible folders in the C drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Files on shared folder became inaccessible

Files on shared folder became inaccessible: Hello All, Good day! I need a help in troubleshooting the issue where we are experiencing inaccessibility and unresponsiveness of files from shared folder. It was working fine till last day. Suddenly whenever we try to access the file e.g. excel it just takes forever. We...
  6. is /windows/Temp folder supposed to be inaccessible?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    is /windows/Temp folder supposed to be inaccessible?: I press on it in windows explorer and just nothing happens. Is this supposed behaviour, or malware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-windowstemp-folder-supposed-to-be-inaccessible/c9e8e467-62ac-4ae8-a129-2dd02654101f
  7. C disk inaccessible, can't change to administrator

C disk inaccessible, can't change to administrator: I mistakenly removed my computer permission to c drive.[IMG] I am not able to change owner.[IMG]I can't change to adminstrator using it and can't run command prompt as administrator.[IMG]...
  8. Renaming folders makes files inaccessible

Renaming folders makes files inaccessible: I can create and rename files and folders, but whenever I change a folder name, any files within that folder become inaccessible. I get an error message that implies the computer is still looking for the file within the previous name of the folder. For example, if I had...
  9. Hard Drive Folders inaccessible

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard Drive Folders inaccessible: The HP 8200 Elite SFF with Windows 10 64 bit the internal hard drive forever (j:) is with an issue. Last night the computer worked fine, today when I turned it on this happened. I opened up Forever and drilled down to a folder 'sites' and found a site folder I needed. I...
  10. Shared Folder Inaccessible

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shared Folder Inaccessible: My office LAN is on a Windows 7 PC. It's a small LAN, with just one main PC and five other PCs accessing the main shared folder. All my colleagues are able to access the shared folders. They have Windows 7. However, I am running Windows 10, and in the last fortnight, suddenly...