Windows 10: Inaccessible partition after the 1909 update

Discus and support Inaccessible partition after the 1909 update in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, All, I updated from 1809 to 1909 one hour ago and upon restart, the boot screen said to click any key to skip a disk check, I skipped it. Then the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/masteridori, May 2, 2020.

1. Inaccessible partition after the 1909 update

Hi, All,

I updated from 1809 to 1909 one hour ago and upon restart, the boot screen said to click any key to skip a disk check, I skipped it. Then the Windows loaded, I noticed some missing icons on the desktop but didn't mind them. I opened Windows Explorer and saw that the other partition of the disk is shown as Local Disk, without showing the size of the partition. When I tried opening it, it said that it must be formatted first, the Disk Management showed it as RAW. The Disk Management also showed a new recovery partition that was not there before the update.

I restarted the PC and let the Windows to repair the partition, after that the OS loaded. I went to Windows Explorer and now the partition was showed with the correct name but again without the size. When I tried to access it, it said "Access is denied". I found some instructions online and managed to make it accessible by giving the "Authenticated Users" group full access. Now it's accessible but it's empty, it's showing 386 out of 387 free. TestDisk is saying that there's one partition that cannot be recovered and if I try the Undelete option, the program just closes itself (I have to try other recovery tools).

Did anyone encounter similar thing after update? I didn't have any important information (mainly games, software and a couple of virtual machines) but I have to say that it's annoying and I would like to know if there's a specific action that is causing it so I can avoid similar issue in the future. I have also another SATA drive attached to the PC and there were no issues with it after the update.

submitted by /u/masteridori
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/masteridori, May 2, 2020
  2. deving Win User

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, May 2, 2020
  3. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, May 2, 2020
  4. W1zzard Win User

Inaccessible partition after the 1909 update

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, May 2, 2020
Thema:

Inaccessible partition after the 1909 update

1. Inaccessible partition after the 1909 update - Similar Threads - Inaccessible partition 1909

2. Inaccessible hdd after cloning and resizing partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inaccessible hdd after cloning and resizing partition: I recently installed a new ssd into my pc and cloned the old hdd to the new ssd. I noticed there was a little bit of allocated space on the hdd so I used minitool to resize it. I then was not able to access the drive and there is a question mark next to it. I want to have my...
  3. Inaccessible hdd after cloning and resizing partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Inaccessible hdd after cloning and resizing partition: I recently installed a new ssd into my pc and cloned the old hdd to the new ssd. I noticed there was a little bit of allocated space on the hdd so I used minitool to resize it. I then was not able to access the drive and there is a question mark next to it. I want to have my...
  4. Inaccessible hdd after cloning and resizing partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Bitlocker encrypted drive inaccessible after extending partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encrypted drive inaccessible after extending partition: So I had an external USB HD with 2 partitions:large partition - Bitlocker encryptedsmall partition - unencryptedYesterday I decided that I would have the entire HD encrypted, so in Windows 11 Disk Manager I deleted the unencrypted partition and extended the Bitlocker...
  6. Bitlocker encrypted drive inaccessible after extending partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker encrypted drive inaccessible after extending partition: So I had an external USB HD with 2 partitions:large partition - Bitlocker encryptedsmall partition - unencryptedYesterday I decided that I would have the entire HD encrypted, so in Windows 11 Disk Manager I deleted the unencrypted partition and extended the Bitlocker...
  7. One partition suddenly inaccessible

in Windows 10 Support
    One partition suddenly inaccessible: 1909 [img] diskmgmt.msc also showed it to be healthy. diskmgmt.msc's properties was the only thing that revealed that all permissions were gone!. I was able to create ("Add") permissions in the properties' Security tap. Problem solved. I am writing to ask whether...
  8. Lost Logical Partition after Windows 1909 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost Logical Partition after Windows 1909 Update: I upgrade to 1909 but after upgrade I lost 2 logical drives. both partition now shown as combined free space. How can I restore those partition without losing data? where can I find the cause/logs of the issue after upgrade process? screenshot after upgrade [ATTACH]...
  9. Lost Logical Partition after Window 1909 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost Logical Partition after Window 1909 Update: I upgrade to 1909 but after upgrade I lost 2 logical drives. both partition now shown as combined free space. How can I restore those partition without losing data? where can I find the cause/logs of the issue after upgrade process? screenshot after upgrade [ATTACH]...
  10. Multi-Partition SD Cards inaccessible after anniversary update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Multi-Partition SD Cards inaccessible after anniversary update: I have few SD Cards that were formatted to carry 2 partitions ( one fat32 partition and another ext4 linux partition) , this is a common practice to use a common tool for android mobiles to move applications to sd cards for additional space ( named link2sd ) . the primary...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 update 1909 raw partition

2. partition 1909