Windows 10: Inaccessible program files and/or UAC

Discus and support Inaccessible program files and/or UAC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello earthlings. Two questions about executables (program files). Or UAC? Or executables and UAC. I'm not sure. Is it possible to make a permanent... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ratata, Nov 2, 2020.

1. ratata Win User

Inaccessible program files and/or UAC

Hello earthlings.

Two questions about executables (program files). Or UAC? Or executables and UAC. I'm not sure.

Is it possible to make a permanent change of an executable's process priority? If the process priority is changed by using the task manager, the change will only last that very session. Next session you will have to do it all over again. So I'm looking for a way to make a permanent change, is it possible?

Last five years or so I have noticed that it's becoming increasingly popular (for some reason I can't figure out) to make executables inaccessible to the user. I've seen this only so far in "apps" from the Microsoft Store, but still? Simple tasks like customizing shortcuts and other stunts when W10 won't tell you where the program files can be found becomes impossible. Do they even exist the way we are used to or are they hidden in the .net framework from now on? How to find them?

(When on to it, what's this with "apps" all about? If I say to a kid nowadays "-Hey, I just got this cool program today" he'll respond with a long and confused "-Whaaat?". And then I will go "whaaat?" in my mind. Me an old fart?)

Sweden

:)

ratata, Nov 2, 2020

2. File mover program other than File Explorer

Hi,

I appreciate if you could answer a few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• Which is the current build installed on the computer?

• Are you the administrator of the account?

• Is the computer connected to a domain?

• Is the issue specific to a particular file type?

• Did you make any changes to the permission settings recently?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you are able to take the full control of the folder or files.

• Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Under Group or user
      names
      , click your name to see the permissions you have.
    • The permissions for the selected user or group are shown in the lower portion of the properties dialog box.
    • Assign yourself “Full control” permission by checking the box for “Allow” for Full Control and check if you can access the drive.
    If the issue still persists, follow the below steps.

1. Type UAC or User Account Access on the search bar.

2. From UAC window, I suggest you to bring down the level to default and check if it helps.

Hope the information helps in resolving the issue related to the folder permissions. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Nov 2, 2020
  3. fpefpe Win User
    uac query

Hello -- I have a batch file that runs a program that query the UAC and will prompt me every time I run -- It a safe program -- is there a way to set

up a "white list" so UAC will not prompt for confirmation?

fpefpe, Nov 2, 2020
  4. Inaccessible program files and/or UAC

Grant a specific application permanent UAC permission

Hello jaksps,

In line with your concern, User Account Control doesn't have a "allowed-or-blocked" list and disabling the User Account Control involves security risks. Though, there is a workaround to run a program without UAC prompt using Task Scheduler. I'd recommend
    performing the steps suggested by SpiritX MS MVP in this
    thread

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Nov 2, 2020
Thema:

Inaccessible program files and/or UAC

1. Inaccessible program files and/or UAC - Similar Threads - Inaccessible program files

2. Inaccessible files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Inaccessible files: After updating to W10 I get these designations on certain files. Need instructions to get the permissions changed [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/inaccessible-files/3aa6f551-3a42-4619-9141-3a08f4228df0
  3. UAC for programs, then programs' bottoms are under the Taskbar

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    UAC for programs, then programs' bottoms are under the Taskbar: I looked at the Tutorial page about UAC but nothing seemed to help with getting rid of that intermediate step where it asks for permission to run. I had that fixed in Win7, there must be a way in Win10, no? Second, how does one prevent a program's open window going under the...
  4. UAC for programs, then programs' bottoms are under the Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    UAC for programs, then programs' bottoms are under the Taskbar: I looked at the Tutorial page about UAC but nothing seemed to help with getting rid of that intermediate step where it asks for permission to run. I had that fixed in Win7, there must be a way in Win10, no? Second, how does one prevent a program's open window going under the...
  5. INACCESSIBILITY OF PROGRAMS AND APPS AFTER UPDATE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    INACCESSIBILITY OF PROGRAMS AND APPS AFTER UPDATE: Hi Team, I need your assistance. I recently updated my windows 10 after being prompted by laptop about the availability of the update. Ever since the update was completed, i am unable to access the progams and apps on the laptop, e.g. mail, calendar, calculator, netflix,...
  6. Is there a way to disable UAC for a specific program?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to disable UAC for a specific program?: So I have programs that I use often, but they trigger UAC notifications. Without disabling UAC entirely, is there a way to not have the UAC notification pop up for that program? submitted by /u/Goodperson5656 [link] [comments]...
  7. How windows identifies a program or file which requires UAC elevation

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How windows identifies a program or file which requires UAC elevation: Kindly let me know what are the criteria and conditions windows evaluate for identifying a file or program that requires admin privileges https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-windows-identifies-a-program-or-file-which/79164530-94e7-40a6-b32c-18dec9d44258"
  8. Camera and microphone inaccessible to different programs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Camera and microphone inaccessible to different programs: Hello everyone, I need help with my camera and microphone. When I use the Camera app from the Microsoft Store it is absolutely functional. But when I need to take photos or record videos with other programs (in one particular case, I'm video calling on Facebook on Google...
  9. inaccessible shared files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    inaccessible shared files: Until recently my main computer, more or less a server, was running in W7 ULTIMATE/64 bit. It was happy, until it was not. I could access all of my files from this main machine and all of my satellites. Then, the computer was getting sluggish, so I rolled back to the...
  10. inaccessible shared files

in Windows 10 Support
    inaccessible shared files: Until recently my main computer, more or less a server, was running in W7 ULTIMATE/64 bit. It was happy, until it was not. I could access all of my files from this main machine and all of my satellites. Then, the computer was getting sluggish, so I rolled back to the...