Windows 10: inaccessible shared files

Discus and support inaccessible shared files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Until recently my main computer, more or less a server, was running in W7 ULTIMATE/64 bit. It was happy, until it was not. I could access all of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pcmacd, Feb 27, 2019.

1. pcmacd Win User

inaccessible shared files

Until recently my main computer, more or less a server, was running in W7 ULTIMATE/64 bit.

It was happy, until it was not. I could access all of my files from this main machine and all of my satellites.

Then, the computer was getting sluggish, so I rolled back to the earliest W7 incarnation I had available.

And then the system would not boot, and I spent all manner of candles and incense to make it go, to no avail.

My boot drive is always an SSD, separate from my data files.

~~~~~
    All that stuff now lain out? I built my replacement W10 machine on the same hardware, with the same user credentials, with the same passwords, to the same SSD, with all of my data on a separate conventional hard drive.

All of a sudden I can't access music I RIPPED MYSELF on this machine, and have the same problems on my remote machines. None of this ever happened in W7.

I have tried all of the typical fixes such as

--> adding a "take ownership" ditty (command file) to my drop down menu

(it uses "takeown" and "icalcs" ash shown below.)

--> changing security permissions on the shared (even local!) drive,
    thru the PROPERTIES menu, doing the usual stuff that gives me complete control over a share or drive.

--> "takeown" with all the proper arguments at the head of the partition, or sub-folders.

--> "icacls" , same as above

I am at my wit's end.

I have MP3 files I have ripped ON THIS VERY SAME HARDWARE, with the same username, and the same password, that I cannot access, neither on this machine nor on any of my satellite machines.

Most files I can access w/o issue. Others? They defy all of my efforts!

It used to be easy.

What in the what is going on?

tanks

mac

:

:)

pcmacd, Feb 27, 2019

2. SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Feb 27, 2019
  3. Guitar Win User
    Steam Game Sharing?

Gaming articles on Engadget

This sounds pretty awesome, if true. There are a lot of old games I don't play that I'd be willing to share with friends, and there are some that I'd want to play but not sure about actually buying as well.

Guitar, Feb 27, 2019
  4. inaccessible shared files

File Sharing

Hi Dwayne,

The ability to share files within your homegroup can be set based on your preference in the HomeGroup settings. For us to identify if the file sharing issue is caused by the update or an option not being retained in the HomeGroup setting, we'd like to ask
    for additional details. Please answer the following:

• Aside from installing an update, have you also made any recent changes to the HomeGroup settings?
    • What specific update have you installed before the file sharing stopped working? To check the Update history, follow these steps:
    • On the Search bar, type Settings.
    • Open the Settings app from the search result.
    • Click Update & security and check the Windows Update section.
    • Click the Update history link.
    • Have you already checked if the file and printer sharing is enabled in the
      Advanced sharing settings
      in the Control Panel?
    • What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried based on the threads that you've read?
    For initial troubleshooting, you can run the built-in troubleshooter for HomeGroup by following the steps below:

• On the Search bar, type Troubleshoot.
    • Open the Control Panel from the search result.
    • Click View all and locate HomeGroup.
    • Click HomeGroup and follow the on-screen guide to run the troubleshooter.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer Cha, Feb 27, 2019
Thema:

inaccessible shared files

1. inaccessible shared files - Similar Threads - inaccessible shared files

2. File sharing.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File sharing.: How do I set up file sharing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-sharing/82cbca71-2b22-4d35-852c-939fa0a06c93
  3. file sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file sharing: I used to have my two laptops in the network folder but redoing windows dropped the laptop from network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-sharing/d3086141-9929-49d5-888e-a6974b13189a"
  4. File sharing

File sharing: I am trying to file share across three computers, all Windows 10, all version 1809 - I can see the three of them using 'network', but when I try to access one of them, I get a "file an print sharing is online but isn't responding to connection attempts" - googled a bunch of...
  5. File sharing

File sharing: Here is the problem. In Windows 10 I have a home network where two computers very nicely share files between Computer 1 and Computer 2. This still works well. I added Computer 3. All three show up on the network. Computer 3 can share files with Computer 2. But when I try...
  6. inaccessible shared files

inaccessible shared files: Until recently my main computer, more or less a server, was running in W7 ULTIMATE/64 bit. It was happy, until it was not. I could access all of my files from this main machine and all of my satellites. Then, the computer was getting sluggish, so I rolled back to the...
  7. sharing files

sharing files: Can I share and give access to edit a file of pictures to someone not in my home network? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-files/e179d464-ca4e-4d1a-b308-d1423c6b89c6"
  8. File Sharing

File Sharing: I created a home group for file and printer sharing with my wife's desktop. It no longer works. I keep checking the settings on both computers and they appear to be the same as when it worked. Any ideas?...
  9. sharing files

sharing files: Can I share files between computers in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-files/51f15bf4-a09e-459b-80cc-85f6238dc2c9"
  10. File Sharing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File Sharing: How do you file share in a home network? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-sharing/9187bd18-efeb-4ed6-ae66-5c140cf91e44"