Windows 10: inaccessible shared files

Discus and support inaccessible shared files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Until recently my main computer, more or less a server, was running in W7 ULTIMATE/64 bit. It was happy, until it was not. I could access all of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pcmacd, Feb 27, 2019.

1. pcmacd Win User

inaccessible shared files

Until recently my main computer, more or less a server, was running in W7 ULTIMATE/64 bit.

It was happy, until it was not. I could access all of my files from this main machine and all of my satellites.

Then, the computer was getting sluggish, so I rolled back to the earliest W7 incarnation I had available.

And then the system would not boot, and I spent all manner of candles and incense to make it go, to no avail.

My boot drive is always an SSD, separate from my data files.

~~~~~
    All that stuff now lain out? I built my replacement W10 machine on the same hardware, with the same user credentials, with the same passwords, to the same SSD, with all of my data on a separate conventional hard drive.

All of a sudden I can't access music I RIPPED MYSELF on this machine, and have the same problems on my remote machines. None of this ever happened in W7.

I have tried all of the typical fixes such as

--> adding a "take ownership" ditty (command file) to my drop down menu

(it uses "takeown" and "icalcs" ash shown below.)

--> changing security permissions on the shared (even local!) drive,
    thru the PROPERTIES menu, doing the usual stuff that gives me complete control over a share or drive.

--> "takeown" with all the proper arguments at the head of the partition, or sub-folders.

--> "icacls" , same as above

I am at my wit's end.

I have MP3 files I have ripped ON THIS VERY SAME HARDWARE, with the same username, and the same password, that I cannot access, neither on this machine nor on any of my satellite machines.

Most files I can access w/o issue. Others? They defy all of my efforts!

It used to be easy.

What in the what is going on?

tanks

mac

:

:)

pcmacd, Feb 27, 2019

2. SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Feb 27, 2019
  3. Guitar Win User
    Steam Game Sharing?

Gaming articles on Engadget

This sounds pretty awesome, if true. There are a lot of old games I don't play that I'd be willing to share with friends, and there are some that I'd want to play but not sure about actually buying as well.

Guitar, Feb 27, 2019
  4. inaccessible shared files

File Sharing

Hi Dwayne,

The ability to share files within your homegroup can be set based on your preference in the HomeGroup settings. For us to identify if the file sharing issue is caused by the update or an option not being retained in the HomeGroup setting, we'd like to ask
    for additional details. Please answer the following:

• Aside from installing an update, have you also made any recent changes to the HomeGroup settings?
    • What specific update have you installed before the file sharing stopped working? To check the Update history, follow these steps:
    • On the Search bar, type Settings.
    • Open the Settings app from the search result.
    • Click Update & security and check the Windows Update section.
    • Click the Update history link.
    • Have you already checked if the file and printer sharing is enabled in the
      Advanced sharing settings
      in the Control Panel?
    • What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried based on the threads that you've read?
    For initial troubleshooting, you can run the built-in troubleshooter for HomeGroup by following the steps below:

• On the Search bar, type Troubleshoot.
    • Open the Control Panel from the search result.
    • Click View all and locate HomeGroup.
    • Click HomeGroup and follow the on-screen guide to run the troubleshooter.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer Cha, Feb 27, 2019
Thema:

inaccessible shared files

1. inaccessible shared files - Similar Threads - inaccessible shared files

2. SMB share inaccessible from local network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SMB share inaccessible from local network: I have an SMB share just shared through the Properties of the folder on Windows 11. Recently I have been unable to access the share from both linux and Windows 10. I have verified Windows Defender has the rules enabled for NetBIOS and SMB. All devices are on the same subnet...
  3. SMB share inaccessible from local network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SMB share inaccessible from local network: I have an SMB share just shared through the Properties of the folder on Windows 11. Recently I have been unable to access the share from both linux and Windows 10. I have verified Windows Defender has the rules enabled for NetBIOS and SMB. All devices are on the same subnet...
  4. Files on shared folder became inaccessible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files on shared folder became inaccessible: Hello All, Good day! I need a help in troubleshooting the issue where we are experiencing inaccessibility and unresponsiveness of files from shared folder. It was working fine till last day. Suddenly whenever we try to access the file e.g. excel it just takes forever. We...
  5. ONE (of three) shares became inaccessible

ONE (of three) shares became inaccessible: Four in LAN, all are (and have been) at ver 2004. Three are shared, and have been accessible immediately upon demand (no prompts). They still are listed in Explorer. All firewalls still OFF for local. Windows now prompts for password upon attempt to access ONE shared...
  6. Inaccessible files

Inaccessible files: After updating to W10 I get these designations on certain files. Need instructions to get the permissions changed [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/inaccessible-files/3aa6f551-3a42-4619-9141-3a08f4228df0
  7. Win10 v2004 network shares inaccessible

Win10 v2004 network shares inaccessible: So, apparently over this past weekend, several of my old clients PCs were upgraded to Win10 v2004, and now it appears that none of these folks can access 'network shares' from a peer-server on their LANs, and I was wondering if this is something that others have seen as well...
  8. Inaccessibility to any files or desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Inaccessibility to any files or desktop: [IMG]My windows started giving blue screen error so I restarted it and when I tried to log in, it gave an error and asked to log into administrator. After that its giving the error in above pic and even windows icon is not working. So can you please tell the issue associated...
  9. Shared Folder Inaccessible

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shared Folder Inaccessible: My office LAN is on a Windows 7 PC. It's a small LAN, with just one main PC and five other PCs accessing the main shared folder. All my colleagues are able to access the shared folders. They have Windows 7. However, I am running Windows 10, and in the last fortnight, suddenly...
  10. inaccessible shared files

in Windows 10 Support
    inaccessible shared files: Until recently my main computer, more or less a server, was running in W7 ULTIMATE/64 bit. It was happy, until it was not. I could access all of my files from this main machine and all of my satellites. Then, the computer was getting sluggish, so I rolled back to the...