Windows 10: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after deleting driver and restarting normally

Discus and support INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after deleting driver and restarting normally in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello. I went to plug in my external HDD, which did not function at all on my PC, however it did totally fine on an other PC. The problem affected... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by _Bajiru_, Dec 31, 2020.

1. _Bajiru_ Win User

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after deleting driver and restarting normally

Hello. I went to plug in my external HDD, which did not function at all on my PC, however it did totally fine on an other PC. The problem affected every single USB storage device, including flash drives, so I deleted the "Intel eXtensible Host USB 3.0" driver and restarted. The part before shutting down the OS took longer than expected. And after the restart, I was greeted with a "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" error.

Now, this is where the good part begins. I am sure my SSD is OK, since I ran chkdsk and it did not find anything. I ran DISM, it did nothing. I also ran the usual bootrec commands trio bootrec /rebuildbcd, bootrec /fixmbr & bootrec /fixboot, however "bootrec /rebuildbcd" reported 0 Windows installations and "bootrec /fixboot" stopped because of an "access denied" error. Because of the latter error, I tried "bootsect /nt60 SYS", which caused a completely different error to appear: "WINDOWS\System32\winload.exe is missing or corrupt", with error code 0xc000000f.

I even tried bcdboot, that also did not help at all. I even tried the usual bootrec commands with a Windows 8.1 bootable USB, that did nothing either.

I'm at a complete loss. Did the driver uninstallation cause the issue, or did just the boot files get corrupt? Can I repair Windows without reinstalling?

Thanks in advance.

:)

_Bajiru_, Dec 31, 2020
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

How to fix INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE - Windows 10 Pro

If you can get into safe mode, go into device manager and uninstall any hardware listed under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. When you uninstall the controller, check the box for delete the driver software for this device. Then try to reboot into normal mode.

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after deleting driver and restarting normally [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Dec 31, 2020
  3. Try3 Win User
    Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder)

I can only suggest that you
    1 Add a list of steps you have already taken.
    2 Add a comment about restarting the computer. Do the deleted icons disappear then?
    2 Add a comment explaining if any Desktop items do delete correctly and whether or not there are any significant differences between those that do delete correctly and those that don't.
    3 Add a list of any OS tweaks you have done & any third-party OS-related utilities you have run.

I assume you have already reinstalled your display driver.
    I don't see a Repair install as being relevant. Repair Install - TenForumsTutorials

Denis

4. INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after deleting driver and restarting normally

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after Windows Update

My Windows 10 Pro PC received the latest round of updates, and when it restarted, it bluescreens with the error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

I did a system restore to a previous restore point, and everything booted and ran perfectly, but of course it then goes out to get the latest updates, and the same thing happens with it bluescreening and throwing the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error.

I followed many suggestions from a Google Search including disconnecting all drives other than the boot drive, running chkdsk /f on the boot drive, allowing Windows 10 to "auto-fix startup problems", and several other things, and it always bluescreens.

I temporarily disabled the Windows Update service so it doesn't go out and auto-grab the updates, but at some point, I will need to apply updates, and I expect future updates to result in the same bluescreen error.

Suggestions?

jimmyheadgear, Dec 31, 2020
Thema:

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after deleting driver and restarting normally

1. INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after deleting driver and restarting normally - Similar Threads - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE deleting driver

2. Windows Deleting driver after restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Deleting driver after restart: Hi,I installed a PCIE ethernet card on my PC recently and I have installed the same one on many other PCs and never had an issue. However, for some reason after rebooting the PC the device disappears completely and only comes back after I install the driver again Not...
  3. Windows Deleting driver after restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Deleting driver after restart: Hi,I installed a PCIE ethernet card on my PC recently and I have installed the same one on many other PCs and never had an issue. However, for some reason after rebooting the PC the device disappears completely and only comes back after I install the driver again Not...
  4. inaccessible_boot_device after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    inaccessible_boot_device after update: The laptop is new, only Microsoft Office is installed from the programs.Brief characteristics:Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15IIL05System - Windows 10 HomeDisk – 526 Gb SSDBIOS - SSD disk recognizes,ProblemWas left on overnight with an ongoing system update task and had a system restore...
  5. Inaccessible_Boot_Device Blue Screen of Death while booting suddenly after restarting, same...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Inaccessible_Boot_Device Blue Screen of Death while booting suddenly after restarting, same...: Trying sfc /scannow on both Advanced Repair options and when booting from Windows installation media gives the error "Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation" But sfc /verifyonly works and the CBS.log file is generated. Here it is:...
  6. Inaccessible_boot_device BSOD after disabling driver signatures

Inaccessible_boot_device BSOD after disabling driver signatures: I've been attempting to diagnose a broken driver for my fingerprint scanner which was giving me the error code 52, and tried to restart windows and disabling driver signatures. Up until that point, the computer had been working fine. Upon disabling the requirement for...
  7. INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after Windows Update: My Windows 10 Pro PC received the latest round of updates, and when it restarted, it bluescreens with the error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. I did a system restore to a previous restore point, and everything booted and ran perfectly, but of course it then goes out to get the...
  8. INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after uninstalling security update.

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after uninstalling security update.: Hello, i recently had to uninstall a security update due to it making my system more unstable and slower. I did this through the control panel and it worked out fine. When it said i had to reboot, i clicked the reboot button. Now when i boot up, a BSOD showing the frown and...
  9. INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after installing Paragon HFS+

in Windows 10 Support
    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after installing Paragon HFS+: Basically I had a Win10 Pro 64bit installation running on my PC. Then I downloaded and installed Paragon HFS+ in order to read from my HFS+ drive. After the installation was complete, I restarted my PC. Instead of booting into Win10, the PC booted into a blue screen with...
  10. Inaccessible_boot_device error after upgrade and restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Inaccessible_boot_device error after upgrade and restart: Microsoft strikes again... *Mad Upgrade worked fine using the DVD .iso I downloaded, apart from taking 3 hours. Upon restart tonight, I got an endless Inaccessible_boot_device error loop. I was able to revert to Win 7 using the Advanced menu displayed when the boot...