Windows 10: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after switching from internal HDD to external

Discus and support INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after switching from internal HDD to external in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, I attempted to install Windows on an external hard drive. I already had Ubuntu on it, but Ubuntu didn't have everything I wanted. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MichaelJac3, Feb 25, 2019.

1. INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after switching from internal HDD to external

Hi all,

I attempted to install Windows on an external hard drive. I already had Ubuntu on it, but Ubuntu didn't have everything I wanted. When I tried to install Windows to the external HDD, but I got an error saying that Windows only installs to internal hard drives. After switching my hard drive to internal, it worked. Unfortunately, that came back to bite me today.

I got a hard drive from someone I trust, I put it in as an external HDD for convenience for me later when I remove it, but I figured out that I needed to remove my current HDD and put the one my friend gave me in it's place. Even with my personal drive removed, it did not find my friends drive. About now I started to worry and would be glad if I got my computer out of this alive.

I removed my friends drive, put in mine as external (I planned to have it be external in the long run anyway, better now than later), and booted my system.

GRUB launched successfully, I ran Windows 10, and...

A Blue Screen of Death. Error code INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. When Windows 10 rebooted, I ran GRUB and went into Ubuntu just fine.

Then I rebooted again. After that, my BIOS didn't detect any hard drive. Not my friend's, not mine.

Specs of my computer:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming B8

My personal HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 1TB

BIOS: Version F8B

I also built it myself, so don't ask for the manufacturer and model.

That's all you really need to know, in theory. If you need any more info, I can tell you.

Best regards,

Michael

:)

MichaelJac3, Feb 25, 2019

2. External HDD or Internal HDD?

I'm contemplating whether or not if I should purchase a external hard drive for saving all of my work, music, photo's backup etc, instead of saving it on my pc hd. Now the problem is external hdd vs internal hdd's longevity, hardware differences, file corruption typically on external hdd's or flash drives. Is it a mistake saving personal stuff separate from the pc or are ex hdd as good as internal? I've had experiences loosing my stuff because of viruses, hdd failure and lack of prior experience not partitioning my hdd *Smile INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after switching from internal HDD to external :)

omiknight52, Feb 25, 2019
  3. Switching off internal computer speakers

This is a subject that has been raised before but Microsoft seems to refuse to answer. As a result of a previous update to Windows 10, the internal computer speakers work as well as the external sound system. There is no apparent way to switch off the
    internal speakers and just have the external sound system working. A previous contributor suggested that Microsoft had a solution to this bug but wouldn't elaborate. This seemed very childish.

I ask the question again: Could someone give a step by step process for switching off internal computer speakers AND leaving the external speakers working. I have tried every setting but nothing fixes the problem. Surely this isn't rocket science and
    it would be easy for Microsoft to write a bug fix???

Lack of action just infuriates users unnecessarily.

JohnTrevorXX, Feb 25, 2019
  4. JayD239 Win User

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after switching from internal HDD to external

External HDD or Internal HDD?

External drives do tend to die earlier so try keeping your crucial data on both your internal as external drive. Of course this is always a good idea when keeping backups (also with internal drives).

Viruses has nothing to do with the quality of your drives, that's your own fault *Wink INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after switching from internal HDD to external ;)

JayD239, Feb 25, 2019
Thema:

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after switching from internal HDD to external

1. INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after switching from internal HDD to external - Similar Threads - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE switching internal

2. Problems with internal HDD move out to become External HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problems with internal HDD move out to become External HDD: Goodmorning, I had 3 drives on my pc (1 ssd-m2, 1 hdd, 1ssd) and because i need to switch data from one pc to another i bought a docking station. Right now i put my internal HDD and SSD (2/3) in it and if i tried to boot windows without the docking station on, i receive this...
  3. Problems with internal HDD move out to become External HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with internal HDD move out to become External HDD: Goodmorning, I had 3 drives on my pc (1 ssd-m2, 1 hdd, 1ssd) and because i need to switch data from one pc to another i bought a docking station. Right now i put my internal HDD and SSD (2/3) in it and if i tried to boot windows without the docking station on, i receive this...
  4. Cannot copy files to external HDD or internal spare HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot copy files to external HDD or internal spare HDD: Hello Everyone, I cannot copy files to any external HDD. I have also added a spare internal HDD to my HP pavilion 15 gaming laptop for extra storage and cannot copy files to this either. I have tried two external HDDs and they are two different brands so I am assuming this...
  5. Question on an internal HDD as an external enclosed HDD to her PC

Question on an internal HDD as an external enclosed HDD to her PC: My daughter wants to use a new unused internal 1TB HDD as an external 1TB for storage purposes. She purchased the cable and portable enclosure to connect to her PC. The instructions are confusing. Apparently it needs to be initialized and formatted. Can some knowledgeable...
  6. New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally

in Windows 10 Support
    New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally: New 1TB Seagate that I've formatted NTFS and used for a month to test a clone. Three partitions, the middle unused, the last has some BU data. When I go into W10 Disk Management it can recognize the disk but says it's not initialized. Obviously why it won't format it via MBR...
  7. Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, I have an external HDD of 465 GB and I have 360 GB of space. Please tell me how I can quickly copy files to my internal HDD, how to download speed (move), or if you know any program for this or changes to Quick Move Registry. I mention that I tried...
  8. Run computer on external HDD to RAID two internal HDD

Run computer on external HDD to RAID two internal HDD: Hey guys, I'm new to ten forums but I've been on seven forums for a while but upgraded. Here is my issue I want to mirror one of my internal HDDs to my external HDD. Then I want to run my computer off of the external HDD so I can RAID my only two internal HDDs. Then...
  9. INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after upgrade from Win 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after upgrade from Win 7: Hi, A friend turned his computer (Dell Vostro) on this morning to find that it had tried to upgrade itself to Windows 10. Now when it starts, it gets an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE blue screen and tells you to restart. I've tried changing the AHCI/ATA setting in the bios, but...
  10. Can I boot Windows from an HDD via USB? inaccessible_boot_device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I boot Windows from an HDD via USB? inaccessible_boot_device: I have a Toshiba P55T-B5262 that came with a 1TB HDD containing 5 partitions: 1.00 GB Healthy (Recovery Partition) 100 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition) 918.77 GB NTFS C: Healthy (Primary Parition) 791 MB Health (Recovery Partition) 10.75 GB Healthy (Recovery...