Windows 10: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD

Discus and support INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I’ve recently ran into a problem where my computer is stuck in a BSOD loop. The error code is INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, as mentioned in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by xSqne1119, May 14, 2021.

1. xSqne1119 Win User

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD

Hello, I’ve recently ran into a problem where my computer is stuck in a BSOD loop. The error code is INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, as mentioned in the title. I have tried using an installation media USB and running chkdsk /F, system startup repair, bootrec commands, sfc /scannow and even a system restore point, all leading to the same unfortunate result. The last option I had was this solution from another forum post: Here. I followed the steps well and removed one of the RollupFix patches, however, I seem to be unable to remove the other one Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~1

:)

xSqne1119, May 14, 2021
  2. SoupSpoon Win User

Windows BSOD loop: "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" after repartitioning and installing Ubuntu Gnome

Windows 10 x64 v1607 won't boot after I reprtition my single 1TB HDD and installed Ubuntu Gnome 16.04.1 LTS amd64. it keeps doing a BSOD "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE".

My exact steps:

1. Boot from Ubuntu Gnome 16.04.1 LTS amd64 on USB drive.
    2. 'Try Ubuntu Gnome' option.
    3. Shrink Windows partition from 850GB to ~= 350GB in GParted.
    4. Move recovery partition (I have created a System Repair Disk) (also in
      GParted)
    5. Create new ~=350GB FAT32 Partition.
    6. Use Ubuntu Gnome installer; use 'install alongside Windows' option. Installer succeeds.
    7. Restart. Grub menu comes up, select Windows. Windows shuts down. I didn't see exactly what happened, but I came back and my PC was competely off. Turn back on.
    8. Grub comes back, Windows again. Windows bluescreens with 'INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE'. Restarts. Automatic Repair fails. Restart.
    9. Choose Windows at Grub again. Same bluescreen. This time no Automatic Repair - just shuts down.
    10. Choose Ubuntu Gnome at grub. Boots successfully.
    11. Restart, choose Windows. Again, bluescreen, no automatic repair.

I can access my Windows partition from Ubuntu Gnome. I created a Restore Point before I started the steps above. Can I use my Restore Point, and if so, how? Or should I use my recovery drive? Or get a fresh Windows image and reinstall?

SoupSpoon, May 14, 2021
  3. awalt Win User
    Moving to RAID 0 - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

I am converting an existing Windows 10 Pro laptop to RAID 0 - and I keep getting to the final boot where it says INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. What am I doing wrong? The laptop has two 1 TB Samsung 850 SSDs that are identical. Laptop is a HP Zbook 17.

Here are my steps:

1. Made a good System Image of C: drive on separate external SSD drive connected by USB. D: drive didn't have anything on it to be saved.
    2. Used Win 10 Pro DVD to delete all partitions/format drives.
    3. Went into BIOS and changed from AHCI to RAID, and also to turn on ability to do Control-I to get to Intel RST ROM.
    4. Rebooted, did Control-I, created a RAID 0 of the two disks.
    5. Rebooted, installed Windows 10 fresh. Verified it would reboot on its own.
    6. Rebooted, went into Repair on Windows 10 DVD. Selected external SSD image to do image restore from.
    7. Rebooted - verified on Control-I that the RAID 0 array is listed as "bootable"
    8. Rebooted - get INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

The place it dies - I see the little Windows 10 blue window, and the spinning circle at the bottom - then I get the blue screen with the message.

I think I listed everything I did - what am I missing?

awalt, May 14, 2021
  4. INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after Windows Update

My Windows 10 Pro PC received the latest round of updates, and when it restarted, it bluescreens with the error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

I did a system restore to a previous restore point, and everything booted and ran perfectly, but of course it then goes out to get the latest updates, and the same thing happens with it bluescreening and throwing the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error.

I followed many suggestions from a Google Search including disconnecting all drives other than the boot drive, running chkdsk /f on the boot drive, allowing Windows 10 to "auto-fix startup problems", and several other things, and it always bluescreens.

I temporarily disabled the Windows Update service so it doesn't go out and auto-grab the updates, but at some point, I will need to apply updates, and I expect future updates to result in the same bluescreen error.

Suggestions?

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD [​IMG]

jimmyheadgear, May 14, 2021
Thema:

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD

1. INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD - Similar Threads - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD

2. BSOD code inaccessible_boot_device. Running repair media through USB does not work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD code inaccessible_boot_device. Running repair media through USB does not work.: I have a Windows 11 Acer Aspire 5, which I had installed Ubuntu onto a while ago. Recently, I've wanted to go back to Windows, but have encountered great difficulty in doing so and fear I may have completely ruined my laptop.I installed the windows installation media on my...
  3. BSOD code inaccessible_boot_device. Running repair media through USB does not work.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD code inaccessible_boot_device. Running repair media through USB does not work.: I have a Windows 11 Acer Aspire 5, which I had installed Ubuntu onto a while ago. Recently, I've wanted to go back to Windows, but have encountered great difficulty in doing so and fear I may have completely ruined my laptop.I installed the windows installation media on my...
  4. Troubleshoot BSOD INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE How to restore drive letter assignment?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Troubleshoot BSOD INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE How to restore drive letter assignment?: Dear Community Members,I am seeking advice on troubleshooting a blue screen error of death INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE on my personal machine running Windows 11 version 21H2 after trying to install the October 25, 2022 update KB5018483. After a second attempt, a recovery screen...
  5. Troubleshoot BSOD INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE How to restore drive letter assignment?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Troubleshoot BSOD INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE How to restore drive letter assignment?: Dear Community Members,I am seeking advice on troubleshooting a blue screen error of death INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE on my personal machine running Windows 11 version 21H2 after trying to install the October 25, 2022 update KB5018483. After a second attempt, a recovery screen...
  6. Cannot boot after BSoD "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot boot after BSoD "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE": Hi, I got a bluescreen with "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" this morning and haven't been able to boot my laptop since (build version should be 19041.1081 I think?). I woke up the laptop from standby as usual and was greeted by the programs I had last used, but none of my input...
  7. Inaccessible_boot_device BSOD after disabling driver signatures

Inaccessible_boot_device BSOD after disabling driver signatures: I've been attempting to diagnose a broken driver for my fingerprint scanner which was giving me the error code 52, and tried to restart windows and disabling driver signatures. Up until that point, the computer had been working fine. Upon disabling the requirement for...
  8. Emergency! Continuous BSOD that won't let me restart (Stop Code: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Emergency! Continuous BSOD that won't let me restart (Stop Code: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE): submitted by /u/jiggaboooojones [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hd9hb4/emergency_continuous_bsod_that_wont_let_me/
  9. Cumulative Update 12-12 & Samsung M.2 970 EVO Plus BSOD " INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE "

Cumulative Update 12-12 & Samsung M.2 970 EVO Plus BSOD " INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE ": Hello. I have a Z390 motherboard and an M.2 970 Pro Plus 250GB on-board drive for Windows 10, which I have multiple images of the OS from various dates. Over the past three days I've been getting random "inaccessible boot device" upon a reboot, just booting up or if I were to...
  10. Inaccessible Boot Device BSOD after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Inaccessible Boot Device BSOD after Windows Update: Hello guys! Unfortunately, I'm facing a frustrating problem with my pc. Sunday, I wanted to insert a usb stick for copying some docs on it and only heard the sound of plugging so I thought that a Restart will fix it. I went to start menu and saw it said "Update and Restart",...