Windows 10: inadvertant installation of Win 10 Pro instead of Home

Discus and support inadvertant installation of Win 10 Pro instead of Home in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; While trying to reinstall Win 10 Home on this computer, I mistakenly chose Win 10 Pro. Now I am unable to go back and reinstall Home. Pro seems to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JakeOD, Nov 3, 2019.

1. JakeOD Win User

inadvertant installation of Win 10 Pro instead of Home

While trying to reinstall Win 10 Home on this computer, I mistakenly chose Win 10 Pro. Now I am unable to go back and reinstall Home. Pro seems to be locked in and since this computer wasn't set up as a Pro box, I am not able to activate. I've changed the registry values in two places to reflect it is Windows 10 Home, but it defaults to 10 Pro. I've gotten new Media Creation Tool, made an ISO and still cannot get it to install as win 10 Home. Help

:)

JakeOD, Nov 3, 2019

2. Reloading - retrieving my installed WIN 10 PRO

Thanks for the quick and detail response. Just to make sure I understand your procedure, here are the steps I will do:

1. Download Win10586PESE-x64 v16.07.07 (new) ISO and burn to a DVD.

2. Place DVD in computer and power ON boot from DVD
    3. Run Macrium Reflect. Under the restore menu will be a utility to fix Windows startup problems. Try that utility to see if that restores booting to Windows 10
    4. When Windows startup utility finishes, remove DVD and power OFF computer
    5. Power ON and see if WIN 10 boots.
    6. If WIN 10 boots, check for normal operation, etc.
    7. If WIN 10 does not boot; re-install full WIN 7 disk image.
    8. Download and save Windows 10 ISO file tofolder on C:\ drive
    9. Down load and save:WinISO file on C:\ drive.
    10. Run and install WinISO according to http://www.winiso.com/support/tutorials/mount-iso-in-windows7.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">
      [*]Run WinISO, open the Windows 10 ISO file stored on C:\. I assume there will be some type of BROWSE menu so you can select the Windows 10 ISO file?
      [*] Click "Mount" and a file menu of the files in the Windows 10 ISO file will appear.
      [*]Double click to Run setup.exe.from the WINDOWS 10 ISO file menu
      [*]This should upgrade your Windows 7 to Windows 10 - This same procedure as the “Free” upgrade from WIN 7 PRO to WIN 10 PRO. When finished WIN 10 PRO will be installed and ALL WIN 7 PRO program files, drivers, printers and data files from WIN 7 PRO will be available for use. To be explicit this is an install of WIN 10 PRO and a “TRANSFER/ UPGRADE of WIN 7 PRO program files, drivers, printers and data files. This is NOT a CLEAN INSTALL of WIN 10 PRO

JUST WANT TO MAKE MAKE SURE I UNDERSTAND THE EXPECTED RESULTS

1. The newly created WIN 10 PRO install should activate based upon your previously activated upgrade. I assume the setup program will access some Microsoft data base and find my previous activation?

Please excuse the long list, but I find it better to ask questions now, rather than try to unwind some misunderstanding later.

I do appreciate your time and support!

Thanks

krazykat tenf, Nov 3, 2019
  3. pewe Win User
    Installation setup Home instead of Pro.

Thanks for the heads-up.

My search came up with lots about using PID for Win 8 and they all seemed to suggest using the purchased product key.

If the Generic key works, doesn't that make it possible for anyone to install Win 10 pro without buying a license?

pewe, Nov 3, 2019
  4. SteffenPn Win User

Win 10 Upgrade installed "Home" instead of "Pro" Version

Hey Guys,

A few hours ago I did the upgrade from Win8.1 Pro to Win10. Unfortunately I recognized, that I only have a Win 10 Home Edition instead of the promised Win 10 Pro.

Is that my fault or a malfunction and how can I get the "Pro" Edition now?

Greetings,

Steffen

P.S.:

I used the "Media Creation Tool" because I had no "Get WIn 10 App" icon. Does that matter?

SteffenPn, Nov 3, 2019
Thema:

1. inadvertant installation of Win 10 Pro instead of Home - Similar Threads - inadvertant installation Pro

2. Windows 10 Home installed by GeekSquad instead of 10 Pro.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Home installed by GeekSquad instead of 10 Pro.: My system drive failed, so I had the GeekSquad Best Buy do a factory reset. I don't know what they used for installation media, as the factory recovery partition was unreachable. I did everything I could to avoid taking it in. Now my laptop has Win10Home instead of Pro, but...
  3. Windows 10 Home installed instead of pro

Windows 10 Home installed instead of pro: My friend did a clean install of windows. He had windows 10 pro which was activated with his account linked to the key. He forgot that the media he used was fir windows 10 home. When he finished everything it said that windows was activated with a digital key linked to your...
  4. Installing Windows 10 Pro instead of Home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 Pro instead of Home: I purchased Windows 10 Pro directly from Microsoft. I downloaded and ran the Media Installation Tool. It did not give me an option to select Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro, it just had the option "Windows 10". I ran it from a computer that was already running Pro, and...
  5. Mistakenly installed Win 10 Home instead of Pro.

Mistakenly installed Win 10 Home instead of Pro.: I mistakenly installed Win 10 Home instead of Pro and now my windows won't activate. The activation troubleshoot directs me to the MS Store but there I don't have the option to install Pro and I don't have a key since it's a digital license attached to my account....
  6. Windows 10 Pro instead of Windows 10 Home was installed

Windows 10 Pro instead of Windows 10 Home was installed: I purchased a used Dell OptiPlex 7040 with no drives. I purchased a new M.2 SSD and installed it. I purchased Win10 Home and have my key. I downloaded all software to create a USB and the ISO to create a DVD. No matter what I use to install, it always install Win10 Pro...
  7. Accidently installed pro instead of home

Accidently installed pro instead of home: HI all a complete newbie here, My problem is that I have installed Windows 10 pro instead of the Home edition, my laptop says I have the digital licence for the Home edition and I need to install Windows 10 Home but I cannot find anywhere for a free download etc, I haven't...
  8. Used wrong product key for Win 10 install, got 10 Home instead of Pro

Used wrong product key for Win 10 install, got 10 Home instead of Pro: So, stupid user here. My old computer started with Win 7 Home Premium (retail); a few years down the road, I bought a Win 8 Pro retail upgrade. Last week I built a new computer, intending on transferring the license from my old computer to the new one. But stupidly when...
  9. Got Win 10 Home instead of Pro

Got Win 10 Home instead of Pro: Have a HP Spectre x2 laptop/tablet that came with Win 8 OEM installed, updated it to Win 8.1 Pro with one of my MSDN keys and all was Ok. Just recently upgraded to Win 10 and expected to get Win 10 Pro but got Win 10 Home. Don't know if anyone has seen this before but would...
  10. Installation setup Home instead of Pro.

Installation setup Home instead of Pro.: Today I had to do a clean install of Win10 which I did from a USB with the Win 10 install software on it. When completed the installation I notice it is now running 10 Home. When I run ShowKey it seems that the installation has picked up the original 8.1 OEM key from...