Windows 10: Inconsistent booting issues and related disk partitioning issues

Discus and support Inconsistent booting issues and related disk partitioning issues in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've been having inconsistent booting issues where sometimes it will boot to BIOS and then I'll select the C: drive I want to boot from and it works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dosfivepointone, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Inconsistent booting issues and related disk partitioning issues

I've been having inconsistent booting issues where sometimes it will boot to BIOS and then I'll select the C: drive I want to boot from and it works fine. Othertimes, it just boots normally.

I've expiriemtns with different UEFI on/off settings and ordered the drives how I think it should work in BIOS.

I then ventured to diskpart based on some forum posts that I read - and have the booting working a bit better but I think I've done some things wrong with the disks in the meantime.

My C: drive is where windows is installed and where I want to boot from (SSD).

Here is a screen cap of disk manager:

Inconsistent booting issues and related disk partitioning issues fe2b0a3c-6778-4e23-9dc5-95bf55e8b7b0?upload=true.png

And here is EasyBCD. Notice the M: drive default?

Inconsistent booting issues and related disk partitioning issues 906be7d9-55af-49c1-8b11-cb530c9c1b76?upload=true.png

Any assistance cleaning up this mess would be great.

:)

dosfivepointone, Feb 16, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Feb 16, 2019
  3. elsnerc Win User
    inconsistent partition info in disk manager / diskpart

Hello Forum!

I hope I can find a guru here, who can explain the "interesting" phenomena of different partition types (in disk manager it's actually listed in the "status" column) being displayed by disk manager vs diskpart.

The setup: disk0 has 8 partitions (3 primary, 1 extended, 4 logical).

This is correctly shown by diskpart: partitions 1,2 and 3 are primary, partition 0 is extended, partitions 4,5,6 and 7 are logical drives within the extended partition.

Disk manager, on the other hand, lists 6 primary partitions (these are partitions 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 in diskpart) and one extended partition (probably partition 0, but smaller...) containing only one logical drive (partition 7).

The partitions I am actually trying to access are 4,5 and 6. They contain a linux installation, wich, oh wonder, i cannot access anymore after upgrading to windows 10. The entry in the bootmanager is still available, but it cannot find the linux boot manager anymore, which is located on partiton 5.

I used and still use the windows boot manager for the multiboot. Partitions 2 and 3 contain the windows 7 and 10 installs and work ok.

Just to clarify: this setup was working before upgrading to windows 10. I upgraded the windows 8.1 install in partition 3.

My intuition is that it must be related to the inconsistent display of the partitions in windows, since diskpart also lists partitions 4,5 and 6 as hidden.

So, any guru around?

Thank you in advance for enlighting info!

elsnerc, Feb 16, 2019
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Inconsistent booting issues and related disk partitioning issues

Boot issues with new drive

Hi Dave,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and frustration you have been through. I will be glad to assist you.

1. What partitions are shown in the 5 TB drive?

I suggest you to check the disk management to format the boot partition in 5TB drive. so that it wont boot from HDD. Boot partition is the small partition which contains boot files required to boot the system.

To check the Disk Management follow the Steps below.

1. Press Windows key + X

2. Select Disk Management and check the partitions under 5TB

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Feb 16, 2019
Thema:

Inconsistent booting issues and related disk partitioning issues

1. Inconsistent booting issues and related disk partitioning issues - Similar Threads - Inconsistent booting issues

2. Issue regarding the Disk Partitioning.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issue regarding the Disk Partitioning.: unable to extend the disk space even after formatting and deleting the empty disk to create/extend the disk space for Local Disk C: can someone suggest a solution..!?...
  3. Issue regarding the Disk Partitioning.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue regarding the Disk Partitioning.: unable to extend the disk space even after formatting and deleting the empty disk to create/extend the disk space for Local Disk C: can someone suggest a solution..!?...
  4. Issue regarding the Disk Partitioning.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. network inconsistency and connection issues

network inconsistency and connection issues: recently my laptop has been bsod'ing with the error code DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION , around this same time it also started having these weird spikes in network throughput. these spikes cause slower download speeds , massive lag spikes, and massive inconvenience. i havent heard...
  6. Boot partition issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot partition issue: Background: I was planning to upgrade one of my SATA SSD's that I use for storage to another larger one. When I unplugged that SSD, my PC refused to boot, even though Windows 10 is installed on my NVMe. With my humble knowledge in knowing how a PC boots, I came to the...
  7. Disk partition issues

Disk partition issues: Dear All, Below you can see the disk manager imaging of my SSD's Disk 0 is my working drive Samsung 970 EVO 2TB including windows. Disk 1 is my weekly Clone Macrium Reflect of Disk 0 on a Samsung 860 PRO 2 TB Disk 2 is a weekly Image of Disk 0 on a Samsung 850 PRO 1TB...
  8. Network Adapter Inconsistency Issues

Network Adapter Inconsistency Issues: Dear Community So, recently, despite all other devices being functional, and able to connect to connect to my router perfectly fine, my computer (old win10) rarely ever gets more than a single bar, and often disconnects entirely, saying it's unable to detect any...
  9. Disk partition issue after cloning

Disk partition issue after cloning: Here is my problem. I bought a larger SSD drive to upgrade my main storage on my laptop. I had a 120GB SSD and I went up to a 256GB SDD. On Windows 10 64-bit, I used EaseUS software to clone the disks with the option sector by sector. Something weird has happened. The visual...
  10. inconsistent partition info in disk manager / diskpart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    inconsistent partition info in disk manager / diskpart: Hello Forum! I hope I can find a guru here, who can explain the "interesting" phenomena of different partition types (in disk manager it's actually listed in the "status" column) being displayed by disk manager vs diskpart. The setup: disk0 has 8 partitions (3 primary,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dosfivepointone