Windows 10: Inconsistent Password requests instead of PIN

Discus and support Inconsistent Password requests instead of PIN in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Since the 1809 update, my PCs have an issue where most of the time software installs / modifications require the admin PIN (my preferred approach), and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AMRcowboy, Nov 7, 2018.

1. AMRcowboy Win User

Inconsistent Password requests instead of PIN

Since the 1809 update, my PCs have an issue where most of the time software installs / modifications require the admin PIN (my preferred approach), and occasionally I am required to enter the admin Password instead, without any option for the PIN. This had never happened until the recent 1809 update, and happens across all of my PCs, not just on a single machine.

I assume that this is due to a bug in the update, and hopefully it will be repaired in the next patch Tuesday update . . .

:)

AMRcowboy, Nov 7, 2018

2. Want to sign on with PIN instead of Password

Thank you for your reply Person.

Glad to know that the Pop up with the password manager is disabled with the above suggestion.

Try the below suggestions to fix the issue with Signing in using PIN authentication.

Steps 1: Launch the File Explorer.

Step 2: Browse to this location, and delete the contents of the folder.

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC

Step 3: Go to Settings (Press Windows
    and I key), Accounts > Sign in Options.

Step 4: Click on Add a PIN and set your PIN.

Step 5: Restart the computer and check the status of the issue.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Nov 7, 2018
  3. Dyan Rey Win User
    Microsoft Account PIN and password

We appreciate the screenshot that you provided. to start troubleshooting the issue with you logins, we suggest that you follow the steps below on how login pin goes back to password:

• Click Start menu and go to Settings.
    • In Settings, click the Accounts icon.
    • Click on Sign-in options.
    • Change both your password and pin one by one.
    Let us know how it goes.

Dyan Rey, Nov 7, 2018
  4. Inconsistent Password requests instead of PIN

PIN instead of password?

How do I set default to use PIN instead of password, please?

darleytravel, Nov 7, 2018
Thema:

Inconsistent Password requests instead of PIN

1. Inconsistent Password requests instead of PIN - Similar Threads - Inconsistent Password requests

2. password requested instead of desktop pin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    password requested instead of desktop pin: I have a desktop pc and until 2 days ago was always asked to enter a 7 digit pin, rather than the microsoft password. This has been the case for the 5 years since I had it. Now I am being asked to log in with my microsoft password. I have had two microsoft updates recently....
  3. password requested instead of desktop pin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    password requested instead of desktop pin: I have a desktop pc and until 2 days ago was always asked to enter a 7 digit pin, rather than the microsoft password. This has been the case for the 5 years since I had it. Now I am being asked to log in with my microsoft password. I have had two microsoft updates recently....
  4. password requested instead of desktop pin

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Pin Request for Autofill Passwords

Pin Request for Autofill Passwords: How do I disable pin requests for autofill passwords? Whenever I go to log in with a saved password my computer asks for my pin before logging me in. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pin-request-for-autofill-passwords/2d4a93a8-1de7-427c-927a-b29dd8b4b86b
  6. Pin Request for Autofill Passwords

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pin Request for Autofill Passwords: How do I disable pin requests for autofill passwords? Whenever I go to log in with a saved password my computer asks for my pin before logging me in. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pin-request-for-autofill-passwords/2d4a93a8-1de7-427c-927a-b29dd8b4b86b
  7. Pin Request for Autofill Passwords

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Switch to password instead of pin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switch to password instead of pin: I want to change from using my pin for login on my computer to using my password. I have searched and followed the instructions in the various questions/ threads here but there is no password option in the sign in options tab and the remove pin button is grayed out so I can't...
  9. Use Password Instead of PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use Password Instead of PIN: I've always used a password to sign in to Windows but recently Windows forced me to change to a numerical PIN. I have tried to change it back by going to "Sign-in options" but there is no option to come up with a password. I tried to select "Windows Hello PIN" but it says...
  10. Use Password Instead of PIN

Use Password Instead of PIN: I've always used a password to sign in to Windows but recently Windows forced me to change to a numerical PIN. I have tried to change it back by going to "Sign-in options" but there is no option to come up with a password. I tried to select "Windows Hello PIN" but it says...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. inconsistent password