Windows 10: Inconsistent scrolling speeds/intervals

Discus and support Inconsistent scrolling speeds/intervals in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently started experiencing problems with scrolling on Windows 10. I don't know when this started, but when I scroll in a window for example... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by CevinChurch1, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Inconsistent scrolling speeds/intervals

I recently started experiencing problems with scrolling on Windows 10.

I don't know when this started, but when I scroll in a window for example Chrome, it scrolls smoothly and not to long intervals. However, if a stop scrolling for maybe 10 seconds, and then start scrolling again, the scrolling speed is faster and the intervals are longer. For every "notch" on the scrolling wheel, the window scrolls down a longer distance than usual. If I click somewhere on the opened window, it goes back to normal, and after stopping again for maybe 10 seconds, the problem appears all over again. This is very annoying, and I'm wondering if there is a fix or something to this?

Included a video of the problem here.

For information, I'm using Windows 10 version 19042.572 on a stationary computer with wired keyboard and mouse with scrolling wheel.

:)

CevinChurch1, Oct 28, 2020
  2. jraptor02 Win User

Menu Scroll Speed is very slow.

I was wondering if there was a way to increase the scroll speed of the menu's in Edge. I just switched from chrome and it takes forever to scroll in a menu in edge.

NOTE: This is not a corrupt file issue. It scrolls just is really slow.

I use a lot of drop down lists that are very long. It literally scrolls less than 1/4 the speed that chrome does....

Any suggestions?

jraptor02, Oct 28, 2020
  3. Why is scrolling speed/amount inconsistent across apps?

I've noticed that trackpad scrolling, including the speed and number of lines scrolled, varies wildly from app to app on Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 4 (precision trackpad). It's different going from Microsoft Edge, to Google Chrome, to Windows File Explorer,
    to Adobe Lightroom.

It's also different scrolling using the trackpad vs. scrolling via touch on-screen. The rest of this discussion will talk about the precision touchpad.

Edge feels the best, with a very nice accelerated scroll that really 'rolls off' at the end.

Chrome is very literal: scroll exactly these many lines (dictated by your setting in Touchpad settings), and then stop when your fingers stop. Enabling the smooth accelerated scrolling in Google Labs makes it nicer, but it's still very different from Edge:
    with the acceleration seeming to last a much longer time than with Edge. And with this Labs setting off, it's still very different from Edge (being more 'literal' and less 'smoothed acceleration').

File Explorer is much worse than either internet browsers, being very 'literal' with really no feeling of acceleration and, instead, constant speed scrolling. But worse: it's like constant speed scrolling that continues after I've stopped moving my two fingers
    for the scroll. I feel like this is trying to simulate accelerated scrolling, with a 'roll off' at the end, but doing a really poor job of it.

Finally, Adobe Lightroom scrolling is terrible: no matter what my 'choose how many lines to scroll each time' setting, it only scrolls a tiny bit per two-finger movement.

In fact, Lightroom and Explorer both appear to ignore the 'choose how many lines to scroll' setting in Windows, whereas the browsers' behavior changes based on this setting.

In Photoshop, activating scrolling at all sends the picture literally off the screen so you can only see one corner of it, and you can't recover from this state until you zoom back out (usually using the keyboard). So you have to be very careful *not* to
    touch scroll at all. This is productivity killing.

Why this inconsistency across apps? Apple has nailed down consistent scrolling behavior across most/all apps, which is very important b/c our brains tend to learn an 'expected scrolling speed' when using a laptop, which allows us to kind of predict the speed
    of scrolling and compensate for the motion in our heads, allowing us to read/follow text as we scroll. This completely falls apart when using a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10, since the scrolling varies so much from app to app. I can tell my brain's 'expected
    scrolling speed' is working, if that makes any sense, but when the actual scrolling speed isn't matched, I suddenly sense a 'disconnect' and my eyes don't follow the scrolling to keep up with it.

Is there a way to set a 'global' scrolling speed/amount, and acceleration/smoothing, across all apps on Windows 10? Is this a Windows 10 thing or a Surface Pro 4 thing or a precision touchpad thing?

Thanks.

RishiSanyal, Oct 28, 2020
  4. Inconsistent scrolling speeds/intervals

Why is scrolling speed/amount inconsistent across apps?

The inconsistent scrolling between apps is frustrating.

I concur that EDGE has the most responsive scrolling, while Chrome, and Word are relatively sluggish.

I'm using a Dell XPS 15 9550.

Microsoft, please transfer the scrolling experience from Edge to all other apps.

James3Shin, Oct 28, 2020
Thema:

Inconsistent scrolling speeds/intervals

1. Inconsistent scrolling speeds/intervals - Similar Threads - Inconsistent scrolling speeds

2. Experiencing 100% CPU Load at Inconsistent Intervals

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Experiencing 100% CPU Load at Inconsistent Intervals: I have been experiencing stuttering on my PC caused by my CPU maxing out at random intervals usually in the 2-20 minutes range. I originally thought that the cause was related to another problem I have been experiencing:...
  3. Experiencing 100% CPU Load at Inconsistent Intervals

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Experiencing 100% CPU Load at Inconsistent Intervals: I have been experiencing stuttering on my PC caused by my CPU maxing out at random intervals usually in the 2-20 minutes range. I originally thought that the cause was related to another problem I have been experiencing:...
  4. Experiencing 100% CPU Load at Inconsistent Intervals

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Download Speed Inconsistent

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Download Speed Inconsistent: My download speed on my pc has been very inconsistent, causing downloads that should take 10 minutes, take an hour. I have a wired connection at 400 megabits. When I download things, my download speed will randomly cut in and out of downloading. Ive have tried multiple things...
  6. Inconsistent trackpad scroll speed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Inconsistent trackpad scroll speed: Hello, I searched all over google to no avail. Trackpad scroll is inconsisten across apps. Some work fine, like firefox and settings menu, others like discord, steam, EGS, Spotify go from 0 to 100 in a milisecond.... it's super annoying, and it only happens in Windows (it...
  7. Inconsistencies with scroll speed

Inconsistencies with scroll speed: I've been having an issue where my scroll speed would slow to practically useless levels. To fix it, I set the scroll speed in the settings to the maximum, which causes the scrolling to happen at a normal speed. Then, I close the settings window, which causes the speed to...
  8. inconsistent copy and write speeds

inconsistent copy and write speeds: Hey there. I just wanted to Copy an 15GB file from a HDD to my M.2 SSD and noticed that the speed is really inconsistent. Its always switches from 150 MB/s to 5 MB/s Can i do something about it? submitted by /u/Kxnek_ [link] [comments]...
  9. Flash drive reads/writes at inconsistent speeds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Flash drive reads/writes at inconsistent speeds: I work on a lot of large .rtf files in Office. Sometimes when I click _Save_, the window freezes and gives me a loading wheel for 10 or 15 seconds before the document finally saved. Sometimes (less often) the file saves almost instantly. It's completely unaffected by how many...
  10. Scroll speed difference

in Windows 10 Support
    Scroll speed difference: Hope this is in the correct forum. On my laptop (i3, 12Gb, ssd) In MS Edge when srolling using the mouse the speed is fine. If I use the up/down arrows it's much slower. The hardware is Synaptecs Touchpad 7.5, HID keyboard device and i have the repeat speed set to short. It...