Windows 10: Inconsistent Shell Context Menu

Discus and support Inconsistent Shell Context Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I noticed something peculiar this morning. The Explorer right-click context menu is inconsistent on what it displays. For example, when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by satchmo, Sep 25, 2015.

1. satchmo Win User

Inconsistent Shell Context Menu

I noticed something peculiar this morning. The Explorer right-click context menu is inconsistent on what it displays.

For example, when I right-clicked on one folder, it displays the "Add to Windows Media Player List" and "Play with Windows Media Player" options.

Inconsistent Shell Context Menu [​IMG]

However, when I right-clicked on another folder, these options are absent.

Inconsistent Shell Context Menu [​IMG]

Whether these options appear in the context menu seems to be entirely arbitrary. About half of the folders have the options, and the rest do not.

Is this a known bug?

:)

satchmo, Sep 25, 2015

2. Problems with Windows 10 Pro

This is the list of the third part right click extensions obtained running shexview:

Extension Name
    Disabled
    Type
    Description
    Version
    Product Name
    Company

AcContextMenuHandler
    No
    Context Menu
    AutoCAD Dwg common shell extension handler
    AutoCAD
    Autodesk

BUContextMenu Class
    No
    Context Menu
    Backup Shell
    Backup
    Symantec Corporation

IEContextMenu Class
    No
    Context Menu
    Norton Security Shell Extension Module
    Norton Security
    Symantec Corporation

NvAppShExt Class
    No
    Context Menu
    NVIDIA Shell Extensions
    NVIDIA Shell Extensions
    NVIDIA Corporation

NVIDIA CPL Context Menu Extension
    No
    Context Menu
    NVIDIA Display Shell Extension
    NVIDIA Shell Extensions
    NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGLShExt Class
    No
    Context Menu
    NVIDIA Shell Extensions
    NVIDIA Shell Extensions
    NVIDIA Corporation

TheDeskTopContextMenu Class
    No
    Context Menu
    igfxDTCM Module
    Intel(R) Common User Interface
    Intel Corporation

GianfrancoDian MS, Sep 25, 2015
  3. Windows 10 context menu keyboard shortcut not what it should be in File Explorer

I recently bought Windows 10 Pro. When I right-click (or press a context menu button), and the context menu pops up, I'm getting inconsistent keyboard shortcuts. If I click in a blank space (i.e. the current folder), the shortcut to access "Properties" is
    'R'. But if I click on a folder- or file-icon, and I press 'R', Windows beeps at me as if the shortcut is invalid. When I use the keyboard to open the menu, it shows me that the shortcut for Properties is 'O'.

This is not only inconsistent, but different to all previous versions of Windows that I've ever used. I thought that perhaps I'd installed something that'd messed with the Windows shell (but I'd only installed ESET's antivirus/firewall and the computer's
    drivers). I reset my PC, but I'm still getting the inconsistent shortcuts.

I have a laptop that was updated to Windows 10 SL that works correctly, so it seems like it's a problem with my new PC's installation.

Can you tell me what might have caused it? Or how to change the shortcut key for "Properties"?

elyaradine, Sep 25, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Not sure if it's a bug but I have to open the folder and then the options to play the media shows up..

BunnyJ, Sep 25, 2015
Thema:

1. Inconsistent Shell Context Menu - Similar Threads - Inconsistent Shell Context

2. Is there a way to manually rearrange the "new" shell context menu?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to manually rearrange the "new" shell context menu?: So basically, I installed office again, and I have notepad++ attached to .txt files, so it shows in the context menu. Is there any way to move the Notepad++ Document/.txt shell key upwards or downwards, so it doesn't split the MS Office applications? Yes this triggers me and...
  3. Is there a way to manually rearrange the "new" shell context menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to manually rearrange the "new" shell context menu?: So basically, I installed office again, and I have notepad++ attached to .txt files, so it shows in the context menu. Is there any way to move the Notepad++ Document/.txt shell key upwards or downwards, so it doesn't split the MS Office applications? Yes this triggers me and...
  4. Is there a way to manually rearrange the "new" shell context menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. OneDrive context menu options Windows Shell

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive context menu options Windows Shell: Hello. I want to eliminate specific OneDrive options that appear in the Context Menu when I right-click on the File Explorer. I don't want to eliminate all the OneDrive options: just specific ones, like "Free up space" and "Storage at 85%: Get more". Is it possible? Thank you...
  6. How to remove context menu items from shell?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove context menu items from shell?: I want to remove the following three items only (marked with red x). [img] 115171
  7. Context Menus - (Inconsistencies)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Context Menus - (Inconsistencies): If you're not keen on the 'larger' spacing on some Explorer right click context menus, or, have applied a different 'text size' and, perhaps applied 'Bold' but find that the modifications do not adhere, here's a quick Registry modification to fix that. If you are...
  8. Shell Extension "RealTimes" Context Menu - Can't remove

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shell Extension "RealTimes" Context Menu - Can't remove: The saga of restoring my Windows 10 machine back to its recent glory continues... As my machine is now getting its mojo back with the help of some folks from this forum (thanks guys!), there are still some stray ghosts roaming around it. For example, I continue to see...
  9. The Win 10 Problem That Never Goes Away: Context Menu Inconsistency

in Windows 10 News
    The Win 10 Problem That Never Goes Away: Context Menu Inconsistency: [img] Microsoft yet to address context menu inconsistency issue Microsoft tried to tweak Windows 10 in such a way that it would be capable of offering a fresh feeling everywhere you look, so the company redesigned the key features of the operating system, seeking...
  10. Those really familair with the registry/shell/context menu/mmc snap-in

in Windows 10 Support
    Those really familair with the registry/shell/context menu/mmc snap-in: Yea convoluted title for a convoluted issue. First some back story - I apologize. I'm very specific and ocd. Bar the natural slow evolution of things over the years, ive kept my pcs with each successive build set up exactly the same way. Its painstaking at first but...