Windows 10: Inconsistent size of "other" folder

Discus and support Inconsistent size of "other" folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Version 2004 Hi people, When I click on Storage>Other it reports that all the folders are taking up 7.03 GB of space, but the individual folders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by templar, Oct 1, 2020.

1. templar Win User

Inconsistent size of "other" folder

Version 2004

Hi people,

When I click on Storage>Other it reports that all the folders are taking up 7.03 GB of space, but the individual folders sizes should be just around 2 GB at most.

I am wondering where this extra usage is coming from. Is Windows miscalculating?

:)

templar, Oct 1, 2020

2. Inconsistent folder size reporting

I'm getting inconsistent folder size info when checking properties. For example, one of many folders nested inside "Folder1" is 15GB yet when I check the properties of "Folder1" properties it is only ~3GB. This is bad news if you're trying to confirm
    a backup folder is the same size as an original folder. I'm using Windows 10 Home v1803.

eschirmann, Oct 1, 2020
  3. Drone Win User
    Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Oct 1, 2020
  4. Amit_Sun Win User

Change in folder size after enabling Bitlocker

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand you concern related to the size of the folder displayed. Try these steps to narrow down the issue:

1. Disable bitlocker
      and then check the folder size.
    2. We would also suggest you to open the folder and select all files and see the size of the contents.

Let us know if the size of the contents matches the folder size. If you see a difference, then the folder might be showing incorrect size.

Kindly reply us with the requested information to assist you better.

Awaiting for your response.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Oct 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Inconsistent size of "other" folder - Similar Threads - Inconsistent size folder

2. Inconsistency for C Windows drive size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Inconsistency for C Windows drive size: Hello, I noticed last evening that my C Windows drive only had about 100 GB free. After moving/removing some large files images, download archives etc. I now have 270 GB of free space, amounting to about 660 GB of used storage. When I inspect the size of all files and folders...
  3. Inconsistency for C Windows drive size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inconsistency for C Windows drive size: Hello, I noticed last evening that my C Windows drive only had about 100 GB free. After moving/removing some large files images, download archives etc. I now have 270 GB of free space, amounting to about 660 GB of used storage. When I inspect the size of all files and folders...
  4. Inconsistency for C Windows drive size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Inconsistent size of fonts in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inconsistent size of fonts in Windows 11: Dear allthe problemSince this start up, I am experiencing inconsistent size of fonts on my Windows 11.Font size in windows bar, search menu, parameters is fine. Font size in Explorer, firefox, chrome, ... are very small. They appears as if scaling factor was not applied to...
  6. Inconsistent size of fonts in Windows 11

Inconsistent size of fonts in Windows 11: Dear allthe problemSince this start up, I am experiencing inconsistent size of fonts on my Windows 11.Font size in windows bar, search menu, parameters is fine. Font size in Explorer, firefox, chrome, ... are very small. They appears as if scaling factor was not applied to...
  7. Windows 11 Font and Icon Sizes Inconsistent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Font and Icon Sizes Inconsistent: There appears to be no way to adjust font sizes by program, or to adjust font sizes independent of window titles? The properties box, for instance, is tiny, while the browser fonts are large. Adjusting the font size does not adjust fonts in older programs, or in the remote...
  8. Inconsistent Icon Sizes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inconsistent Icon Sizes?: I posted about this over a year ago, that thread has since been locked and never got a real answer so I thought I'd try again.Original Thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-randomly-change-sizes/cf1da652-64b1-467c-a7a8-3a4b8bf44b5dI have my...
  9. Inconsistent Icon Sizes?

Inconsistent Icon Sizes?: I posted about this over a year ago, that thread has since been locked and never got a real answer so I thought I'd try again.Original Thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-randomly-change-sizes/cf1da652-64b1-467c-a7a8-3a4b8bf44b5dI have my...
  10. Inconsistent Icon Sizes?

in Windows 10 Customization