Windows 10: Inconsistent speedtest.net results (slow in Firefox and Chrome)

Discus and support Inconsistent speedtest.net results (slow in Firefox and Chrome) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been thinking my HP laptop was a bit sluggish lately. After the latest Windows 10 updates, I ensured all drivers are up to data, had clear out,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Boulder, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Boulder Win User

Inconsistent speedtest.net results (slow in Firefox and Chrome)

I've been thinking my HP laptop was a bit sluggish lately. After the latest Windows 10 updates, I ensured all drivers are up to data, had clear out, deleted cookies and cache etc. Ran superantispyware, malwarebytes and ccleaner. All clear. I then ran speedtest.net in Firefox and also Chrome which I both use. I was getting about 30 Mbps download speeds. My package is for 100 Mbps. I then ran the test in Edge (which I don't normally use) and this gives 110 Mbps. I then ran the Windows 10 Speedtest app, this also gives 110 Mbps. I have run firefox in safe mode, switched hardware acceleration options etc, nothing changes. Have even done a full settings reset in Firefox. Everything is set for System no proxy details. Wired ethernet. Nothing else running at the time. Is there a reason/solution why Chrome and Firefox seem slow on the laptop? I have a similar setup on my desktop and this gives me 110 Mbps across all 3 browsers. Any ideas? Thanks.

EDIT to add; If I start Firefox by "Run as administrator" I get about 70 Mbps. So Better than 30 but still not 100+. It's WIndows 10 Home and I am an administrator so don't know why this makes any difference but maybe it adds some clues?

:)

Boulder, Jul 19, 2018
  2. Melvis Win User

Firefox or Chrome in Linux?

Chrome hands down, Firefox works fine but its slow, and Opera is the same.

Melvis, Jul 19, 2018
  3. TheHunter Win User
    Explorer, Chrome or Firefox ?

IE11 has adblock easy list too.

ie http://www.iegallery.com/en-us/trackingprotectionlists

Altohugh my no1 is still FF, the only thing that kinda sucks is it doesnt have full 1080p 60fps support @html5 (max 720p), IE11 plays that fine np.

TheHunter, Jul 19, 2018
  4. Inconsistent speedtest.net results (slow in Firefox and Chrome)

Windows 10 - Chrome and firefox are not working

This helped me with Chrome but not with Firefox.

I opened Control Panel>Troubleshooting>Programs>Advanced, Run as Administrator and then went through the steps. My problem was the Chrome wouldn't start at all, so I went through the steps and it asks what program you're having problems with, I chose Google
    Chrome, it'll go through a short diagnostic and then give you the option of Troubleshoot Program & then it gives a list of problems. I chose the first one: This program worked in earlier versions.... then click next, I clicked Windows 7, then next and it did
    it's little fix. I tested and Chrome opened up just fine.

No such luck for Firefox, though.

MarkLaFrance, Jul 19, 2018
Thema:

Inconsistent speedtest.net results (slow in Firefox and Chrome)

1. Inconsistent speedtest.net results (slow in Firefox and Chrome) - Similar Threads - Inconsistent speedtest net

2. Speedtest slows down my entire pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speedtest slows down my entire pc: when i run speedtest through the browser and the app,my entire pc slow down and my mouse pointer moves very slowand when i run speedtest while running any other app that has sound ,the sound glitches/stutters .why?my pc specs:i7 4600Ugpu :nvidia gefore GT 720m8gb ram500gb hdd...
  3. Speedtest slows down my entire pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Speedtest slows down my entire pc: when i run speedtest through the browser and the app,my entire pc slow down and my mouse pointer moves very slowand when i run speedtest while running any other app that has sound ,the sound glitches/stutters .why?my pc specs:i7 4600Ugpu :nvidia gefore GT 720m8gb ram500gb hdd...
  4. Speedtest slows down my entire pc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Downloading chrome or firefox

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Downloading chrome or firefox: My new laptops won't download chrome or firefox. I think Microsoft is doing this on purpose because I see threads going back at least 2 years with same problem and it hasn't been addressed. I now can't even get the "offline" programs. Any help with this? Should I just...
  6. Is Windows 10 slowing my Speedtest dow?.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is Windows 10 slowing my Speedtest dow?.: Hi, When I run a speedtest by OOKLA on my computer its a low reading, but when i run the same test on my iphone i get the maximum that my ISP provides, is there something slowing it down on my PC? I'm running Win 10 with Vir**nme**a my ISP...
  7. Windows 10 : Slow browsing with Chrome or FireFox but not Edge. Why??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 : Slow browsing with Chrome or FireFox but not Edge. Why??: I have a really weird problem. Since a few days, when browsing with Chrome it has been slow hell. The websites are taking way too long to initialize the loading. I can't even do the Google Speed Test. It says "The test can't be completed due to a problem with the network....
  8. Different results from Windows Network Speedtest and Ookla Speedtest

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Different results from Windows Network Speedtest and Ookla Speedtest: Suddenly, after relatively close agreement, I am getting wildly different results from the Windows Network Speedtest and the Ookla Speedtest (both app and browser version). Windows gives download speeds between 12.5 and 14.0 Mbps while Ookla gives results in excess of 450...
  9. Inconsistency results of MRT scanning

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Inconsistency results of MRT scanning: Hi All, I ran MRT (Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool) from \Windows\System32 directly and performed a full scan. I left it working for many days. Before finishing the scan I took a screenshot: [ATTACH] As you can see at that point there were 29 files infected....
  10. Firefox: Inconsistent Volume Levels On Youtube

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox: Inconsistent Volume Levels On Youtube: Hello I've had a problem with Youtube volume levels in Firefox, for many versions, now. I have just updated to 57.0.3 (64 bit). The sound level on Youtube videos is lower than with other browsers ( Chrome. for example). I've gone in to the volume mixer and raised the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. speed test slow on chrome

2. speedtest slow using firefox

3. speedtest.net slow in chrome