Windows 10: Inconsistent WiFi speed - drops, high ping

Discus and support Inconsistent WiFi speed - drops, high ping in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I've recently gotten a new laptop and I noticed that my WiFi speed is very inconsistent. Basically, I'm downloading something at 600kBps and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BookWorm, Dec 23, 2018.

1. BookWorm Win User

Inconsistent WiFi speed - drops, high ping

Hi, I've recently gotten a new laptop and I noticed that my WiFi speed is very inconsistent. Basically, I'm downloading something at 600kBps and then it drops to 300, goes back up, drops again and keeps doing this all the time. Similarly, I have a huge problem with multiplayer games, because of constant speed drops I end up with enormous ping/lag spikes
    At first I thought it might be the router, but then I noticed it keeps happening with different connections (if it's a faster connection it's not a huge issue, but I have fairly slow net speed at home). I tried Ethernet cable and it was fine, way faster too

I've updated the driver, tried an older driver, downloaded one from HP site, downloaded one from MS Updates, same issue. I've posted on HP site, but I decided to try here as well, because it looked like someone might have an idea.

I'm using Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter, driver date is 9/12/2018, version 2024.0.3.101

Thanks in advance

:)

BookWorm, Dec 23, 2018

2. Windows 10 slow WiFi speed, high ping in games

Hello,
    I have been having extremely high ping in online games like BF1 and Titanfall 2 (>500 with spikes to over 1000, pretty much unplayable), and slow WiFi speeds. I have already updated my wireless drivers and disabled location and automatic updates. Speedtest.net shows a ping of around 40 ms, and download speeds of about 7-10 Mb/s. Wired connections are a little less than 10 times as fast for downloads, and significantly lower ping. Doing a speedtest on my Galaxy S6 gives 12 ms ping and 35 Mb/s downloads. I have done a speedtest on my windows 10 laptop with the same WiFi dongle as my desktop, as well as the built in card, with very similar results. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

BaconSunday, Dec 23, 2018
  3. High ping only on PC with WiFi

Hi

I have high ping on desktop when i use Wifi for connecting to modem, problem is one month ago my ping with wifi was normal but now is 2000ms (see pic, blue is ping to modem and black is ping to google.com)

Inconsistent WiFi speed - drops, high ping b899e18e-9c8d-4e0b-bde8-c0346bd4863c.jpg

i checked this things:

- at same time ping is normal on laptop over wifi

- i tried a new wifi adapter card and modem but my ping still is 2000ms

- i tried reinstalling Drivers.

and with Ethernet cable ping is normal on desktop but i have to use wifi connection, pls help to fix this weird issue

Mehrdad Aria, Dec 23, 2018
  4. Inconsistent WiFi speed - drops, high ping

Windows 10 High Ping on Games

Is it before the CSGO update or after. Lots of people are reporting this issue after the update. They are saying that the new update has messed up the routing or something. I would suggest to try connection optimizer like Kill Ping. It will bypass all the
    nodes in between and directly connect you to game server.

But first do these steps given in the guide for CSGO

How to Solve High Ping Issues in CS:GO

omairhaider, Dec 23, 2018
Thema:

Inconsistent WiFi speed - drops, high ping

1. Inconsistent WiFi speed - drops, high ping - Similar Threads - Inconsistent WiFi speed

2. Windows 11 keep dropping wifi at high speeds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 keep dropping wifi at high speeds: I have tried numerous stuff like reinstalling windows 11 twice my wifi drops for like 10 secs then connected automatically again happens at like 3mbps+always random tried 5 different adapters even bought a new tp link t4u been on 2.4ghz and 5ghz happens always...
  3. Windows 11 keep dropping wifi at high speeds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 keep dropping wifi at high speeds: I have tried numerous stuff like reinstalling windows 11 twice my wifi drops for like 10 secs then connected automatically again happens at like 3mbps+always random tried 5 different adapters even bought a new tp link t4u been on 2.4ghz and 5ghz happens always...
  4. wifi speed drops down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wifi speed drops down: My wifi normal speed is 50 mbps which I get using internet speed test.After working for some time using chrome and retesting speed it shows about 30mbps.If I restart my comouter or disconnect thr wifi and reconnect I restore the 50 mbps but for unspecified time after that it...
  5. wifi speed drops down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wifi speed drops down: My wifi normal speed is 50 mbps which I get using internet speed test.After working for some time using chrome and retesting speed it shows about 30mbps.If I restart my comouter or disconnect thr wifi and reconnect I restore the 50 mbps but for unspecified time after that it...
  6. Any solution to this ping drop is highly thankable. My router keeps dropping the ping on a...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any solution to this ping drop is highly thankable. My router keeps dropping the ping on a...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/arkrishna [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fchsdj/any_solution_to_this_ping_drop_is_highly/
  7. inconsistent ping problems

inconsistent ping problems: [ATTACH] I am visiting Finland and trying to get into discord and talk with friends but my ping is very inconsistent (picture). it jumps up to 1000-5000 every few seconds. I know its my computers fault since the ping is normal on my phone and even if I connect my computer...
  8. inconsistent ping problems

inconsistent ping problems: [ATTACH] I am visiting Finland and trying to get into discord and talk with friends but my ping is very inconsistent (picture). it jumps up to 1000-5000 every few seconds. I know its my computers fault since the ping is normal on my phone and even if I connect my computer...
  9. WiFi speed drops to ZERO

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi speed drops to ZERO: The WiFi speed suddenly drops to ZERO. It fluctuates between the maximum speed and zero, and then finally sticks to ZERO. I have tried almost everything like troubleshooting, Re-installing the WiFi driver, Disabling & Enabling the WiFi driver, etc. I have also tried to...
  10. Windows 10 slow WiFi speed, high ping in games

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 slow WiFi speed, high ping in games: Hello, I have been having extremely high ping in online games like BF1 and Titanfall 2 (>500 with spikes to over 1000, pretty much unplayable), and slow WiFi speeds. I have already updated my wireless drivers and disabled location and automatic updates. Speedtest.net shows...