Windows 10: incorrect c: user name. followed old thread but problem not solved.

Discus and support incorrect c: user name. followed old thread but problem not solved. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; i followed the instructions on 20 June 2016 thread submitted by Srijan Sinha but still can't solve my problem about truncated user folder name. please... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Priscilla Phileon Chua, Nov 19, 2021.

1. incorrect c: user name. followed old thread but problem not solved.

i followed the instructions on 20 June 2016 thread submitted by Srijan Sinha but still can't solve my problem about truncated user folder name. please help!Method 1 below doesn't work because there was no option to change name.Method 2 after reboot, folder name still remains the same old name.[From old thread 20 June 2016:Method 1: Please follow the steps to rename the user account.In the search box, type user accounts and click on User Accounts.Click on “Change your account name”If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password c

:)

Priscilla Phileon Chua, Nov 19, 2021

2. Windows 10 incorrect username in C:\Users\xxx

Hello Krithika,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description provided, I understand that you want to change the User Account folder name. I would like to assist you with further information from here.

I would suggest you to enable the Built in Administrator Account and then make appropriate changes to the folder name of the user account you intend to. To do so, follow the below steps.

• Press the Windows key + R from the keyboard to open the Run Command Dialog Box
    • Enter cmd and right-click on the Command Prompt result that should appear.
    • This opens a list of options at the bottom. Select Run as administrator there.
    • Accept the UAC prompt
    • Enter the following command to enable the hidden administrator account:
      net user administrator /active:yes
    • Now login to the Built in Administrator account which you have enabled.
    • Open Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Users, open the Users folder, right click on the user profile folder (ex: Old Name) that you want to change the name of, and click on Rename.
    Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Nov 19, 2021
  3. Windows 10 incorrect username in C:\Users\xxx

Nope - does not work. I get an error message telling my that the folder is open or in use by another program.

Ron McLendon, Nov 19, 2021
  4. deving Win User

incorrect c: user name. followed old thread but problem not solved.

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Nov 19, 2021
Thema:

incorrect c: user name. followed old thread but problem not solved.

1. incorrect c: user name. followed old thread but problem not solved. - Similar Threads - incorrect user name

2. My name is incorrect on C Drive >Users Path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My name is incorrect on C Drive >Users Path: This PC > Windows C: > Users >teresIt should be:This PC > Windows C: > Users >teresaHow can I change it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-name-is-incorrect-on-c-drive-users-path/58b0322e-4105-40fe-9160-835acb0d1b42
  3. My name is incorrect on C Drive >Users Path

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My name is incorrect on C Drive >Users Path: This PC > Windows C: > Users >teresIt should be:This PC > Windows C: > Users >teresaHow can I change it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-name-is-incorrect-on-c-drive-users-path/58b0322e-4105-40fe-9160-835acb0d1b42
  4. "The user name or passwords is incorrect."

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "The user name or passwords is incorrect.": I'm in Chrome & want to delete passwords. I click on a password and a box titled "Windows Security" pops up. Beneath it is "Google Chrome is trying to show passwords. Type your Windows password to allow this." So, I type in my Windows password and receive the message "The...
  5. "The user name or passwords is incorrect."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "The user name or passwords is incorrect.": I'm in Chrome & want to delete passwords. I click on a password and a box titled "Windows Security" pops up. Beneath it is "Google Chrome is trying to show passwords. Type your Windows password to allow this." So, I type in my Windows password and receive the message "The...
  6. incorrect c: user name. followed old thread but problem not solved.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    incorrect c: user name. followed old thread but problem not solved.: i followed the instructions on 20 June 2016 thread submitted by Srijan Sinha but still can't solve my problem about truncated user folder name. please help!Method 1 below doesn't work because there was no option to change name.Method 2 after reboot, folder name still remains...
  7. incorrect c: user name. followed old thread but problem not solved.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    incorrect c: user name. followed old thread but problem not solved.: i followed the instructions on 20 June 2016 thread submitted by Srijan Sinha but still can't solve my problem about truncated user folder name. please help!Method 1 below doesn't work because there was no option to change name.Method 2 after reboot, folder name still remains...
  8. Incorrect User Names

in Windows 10 Customization
    Incorrect User Names: When I transferred my system to a new computer, the user names are incorrect for my microsoft acct and I am unable some of my documents. How can I fix this?There is also an unknown account manager....
  9. User name folder and CMD user name incorrect.

in Windows 10 Customization
    User name folder and CMD user name incorrect.: Here is the issue. I might input wrong username years ago when I got my last laptop during registration. The wrong user name might sync to windows cloud or somewhere then I was never able to correct it. Even I change the user name manually by modifying the registry by logging...
  10. Incorrect User Name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Incorrect User Name: I am the sole user of my PC and so I set it up to by-pass the password entry screen and boot straight into the start screen. Two weeks ago I started to receive an error message on start up. The message tells me that the username or password is incorrect, try again. When...