Windows 10: Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties"

Discus and support Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to ascertain the size of my User folder. Right clicking on C:\Users\myusername directory shows 297 GB, however, I know it is much larger... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wiivile, Jun 5, 2018.

1. wiivile Win User

Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties"

I'm trying to ascertain the size of my User folder. Right clicking on C:\Users\myusername directory shows 297 GB, however, I know it is much larger than that; the a certain folder within my User folder, for example, is over 400GB. I believe the size of the folder is actually about 1.4TB.

I re-indexed and this did not fix the problem. I ran chkdsk upon reboot and this did not fix the problem. My hard drive has no bad sectors according to Crystaldiskinfo (it is a 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD).

Any ideas why "Properties" would mis-report (underreport!) the size of my User folder?

:)

wiivile, Jun 5, 2018
  2. ElceeT Win User

Incorrect System Report

Thank you for your suggestion.

I have run the Windows Memory Diagnostic and the report indicated that no memory problems were detected. Status remains the same - 2GB of RAM instead of 6GB.

I do not have any obvious performance issues on this system. I have another Windows 10 installation on a secondary laptop and the system specs are reported accurately on that installation.

ElceeT, Jun 8, 2018
  3. increase text size

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Follow the steps to change the font size:

• Click on "Windows logo" and select "Settings".
    • Select "System".
    • You can change the font size here.

Follow the steps to go to Control Panel:

• Type "Control Panel" in the search bar.
    • Select "Control Panel" from suggestions.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Jun 8, 2018
Thema:

Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties"

1. Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties" - Similar Threads - Incorrect directory size

2. explorer file properties incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    explorer file properties incorrect: I will try to be brief; I have a sony camera that produces photos with high ISOs over 64000: if I view the properties of files with higher ISOs in Explorer, the maximum visible value remains 65535 instead of 102400. For me that I have many photos it's a problem because I...
  3. explorer file properties incorrect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    explorer file properties incorrect: I will try to be brief; I have a sony camera that produces photos with high ISOs over 64000: if I view the properties of files with higher ISOs in Explorer, the maximum visible value remains 65535 instead of 102400. For me that I have many photos it's a problem because I...
  4. Windows directory size

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows directory size: I have two computers: one is about 8 years old. The other a little over a year. Both are now running Windows 10. When I look at the Windows directory I see that in the new one its size is some 25 GB. The old one is about 200 GB. So I looked for a way to clean it. I found...
  5. Properties reporting used space MUCH more than the sum of the folder properties sizes.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Properties reporting used space MUCH more than the sum of the folder properties sizes.: SSD C: shows a "used" size of ~90 GB and the sum of the file folders used size is less than 30 GB - including hidden folders. What is going on?...
  6. The permission for "directory" are incorrectly ordered...

The permission for "directory" are incorrectly ordered...: Good afternoon, Used are Server Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard 6.3.9600 (64bit) / was migrated from Windows Server 2010 Local computer Windows10 ver 10.0.18362.295 (64bit) User have admin rights (on source and destination) Data copied from server to local computer...
  7. Incorrect numbers reported in Folder Properties

Incorrect numbers reported in Folder Properties: Hello, I've noticed an error or bug that has begun occurring in the last month with the Properties box. I have a folder that contains more than 4 terabytes of data in more than 23,000 files and yet when I right click within the folder and select Properties, the popup box...
  8. Folder size in disk properties and folder properties

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder size in disk properties and folder properties: I've just moved data from three HDs to one 8Tb hard drive. Everything is there, but the folder size reporting is weird, just weird. See attached...single top level folder is reported as 465Gb - folders within that are larger are reported as such (see pic 5 of 5 in the zip). I...
  9. Properties of Onedrive folder shows incorrect size

Properties of Onedrive folder shows incorrect size: My onedrive folder 91gb. I completely synced it on disk D. When I try to check size of onedrive folder - it shows only 37gb! Hovewer, used space on disk D is 91gb. How can I be sure that onedrive works well and all of my files on my disk? Thanks [ATTACH]...
  10. Directory size of user folder under-reported in "Properties"

in Windows 10 Support
    Directory size of user folder under-reported in "Properties": I'm trying to ascertain the size of my User folder. Right clicking on C:\Users\myusername directory shows 297 GB, however, I know it is much larger than that; a certain folder within my User folder, for example, is over 400GB. I believe the size of my User folder is actually...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. directory size incorrect