Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties"

Discus and support Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties" in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; I'm trying to ascertain the size of my User folder. Right clicking on C:\Users\myusername directory shows 297 GB, however, I know it is much larger... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wiivile, Jun 6, 2018.

1. wiivile Win User

I'm trying to ascertain the size of my User folder. Right clicking on C:\Users\myusername directory shows 297 GB, however, I know it is much larger than that; the a certain folder within my User folder, for example, is over 400GB. I believe the size of the folder is actually about 1.4TB.

I re-indexed and this did not fix the problem. I ran chkdsk upon reboot and this did not fix the problem. My hard drive has no bad sectors according to Crystaldiskinfo (it is a 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD).

Any ideas why "Properties" would mis-report (underreport!) the size of my User folder?

:)

wiivile, Jun 6, 2018
  2. ElceeT Win User

Incorrect System Report

Thank you for your suggestion.

I have run the Windows Memory Diagnostic and the report indicated that no memory problems were detected. Status remains the same - 2GB of RAM instead of 6GB.

I do not have any obvious performance issues on this system. I have another Windows 10 installation on a secondary laptop and the system specs are reported accurately on that installation.

ElceeT, Jun 8, 2018
  3. Amit(Kumar) Win User
    increase text size

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Follow the steps to change the font size:

• Click on "Windows logo" and select "Settings".
    • Select "System".
    • You can change the font size here.

Follow the steps to go to Control Panel:

• Type "Control Panel" in the search bar.
    • Select "Control Panel" from suggestions.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Jun 8, 2018
Thema:

Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties" - Similar Threads - Incorrect directory size

1. Device Manager Shows Incorrect Device ID

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Device Manager Shows Incorrect Device ID: Hia. I recently installed a third SSD to my computer ( a Crucial MX500 2TB). Everything went smoothly, the drive behaves normal and everything seems good, however this time something weird happened with the identity on the device, it shows an incorrect model and ID in Windows...
  2. win10 login screen saying "welcome" then saying " incorrect password"

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    win10 login screen saying "welcome" then saying " incorrect password": hi, my girlfriends computer recently locked her out, we where ****ing around with trying to delete the windows.old folder after a recent update(wouldn't let us because of missing ownership) so she logged out and when she wanted to login again then it would say "welcome" for...
  3. Issue with Windows Installer incorrectly installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue with Windows Installer incorrectly installed: Hello, About 16 months ago i got my new PC - everything working wonderfully since a few weeks ago. First, i was unable to open programs e.g. uTorrent (by the shortcut or the .exe). Then, over time several other programs started showcasing the same issue. Today, i was...
  4. Incorrect icon when clicking Start button and typing Settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Incorrect icon when clicking Start button and typing Settings: When I click the Start button and type "Settings" the Settings icon is incorrect (it shows the IrfanView icon, and doesn't prevent the program from opening). I've tried everything I can think of to fix this, including resetting my IconCache and various other Google research....
  5. All Windows Store apps report "The parameter is incorrect"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All Windows Store apps report "The parameter is incorrect": Glad you got it (mostly) sorted. As for the OEM stuff, you'll probably have to find it, download it and reinstall it. If you can't remember, you may be able to mount your backup and explore its contents and get the info you need from there. Hope it all goes well. Best...
  6. UTC offset incorrect in Windows OS

in Windows 10 Support
    UTC offset incorrect in Windows OS: Windows uses local time for some unknown historical reason. If you want you can set it to UTC (especially useful if you dualboot with Linux and/or macOS). This registry change works on Windows 10 (I use UTC): Time - ArchWiki
  7. Side by side configuration incorrect

in Windows 10 Support
    Side by side configuration incorrect: Hi I have sorted it after much fighting ... Had to manually delete the files suggested here .. Ask Sage - How to completely remove Sage Accounts 're installed and all was well