Windows 10: Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties"

Discus and support Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to ascertain the size of my User folder. Right clicking on C:\Users\myusername directory shows 297 GB, however, I know it is much larger... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wiivile, Jun 5, 2018.

1. wiivile Win User

Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties"

I'm trying to ascertain the size of my User folder. Right clicking on C:\Users\myusername directory shows 297 GB, however, I know it is much larger than that; the a certain folder within my User folder, for example, is over 400GB. I believe the size of the folder is actually about 1.4TB.

I re-indexed and this did not fix the problem. I ran chkdsk upon reboot and this did not fix the problem. My hard drive has no bad sectors according to Crystaldiskinfo (it is a 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD).

Any ideas why "Properties" would mis-report (underreport!) the size of my User folder?

:)

wiivile, Jun 5, 2018
  2. ElceeT Win User

Incorrect System Report

Thank you for your suggestion.

I have run the Windows Memory Diagnostic and the report indicated that no memory problems were detected. Status remains the same - 2GB of RAM instead of 6GB.

I do not have any obvious performance issues on this system. I have another Windows 10 installation on a secondary laptop and the system specs are reported accurately on that installation.

ElceeT, Jun 8, 2018
  3. Amit(Kumar) Win User
    increase text size

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Follow the steps to change the font size:

• Click on "Windows logo" and select "Settings".
    • Select "System".
    • You can change the font size here.

Follow the steps to go to Control Panel:

• Type "Control Panel" in the search bar.
    • Select "Control Panel" from suggestions.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Jun 8, 2018
Thema:

Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties"

1. Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties" - Similar Threads - Incorrect directory size

2. How to change the mouse pointer size, mouse properties

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to change the mouse pointer size, mouse properties: looking for mouse pointer properties. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/how-to-change-the-mouse-pointer-size-mouse/5781e25a-e477-4e72-b6ba-01264df8fe28
  3. Windows Reports Incorrect Location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Reports Incorrect Location: Hello, Unfortunately it seems that windows is reporting the wrong location on my laptop. Worse yet, since the location it reports is across a time zone the wrong time is reported for my location. While I can manually set the time zone, I'd prefer not to. If I search on Bing...
  4. How do I reset the directory font size?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I reset the directory font size?: I have an old program that runs well on Windows 10, except for one problem: it resets the directory font size to teeny-tiny and I have to reboot to get back the default size. That tiny size also makes it difficult to move things because I can't read it without getting a...
  5. How do I reset the directory fnot size?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I reset the directory fnot size?: I have an old program that runs well on Windows 10, except for one problem: it resets the directory font size to teeny-tiny and I have to reboot to get back the default size. That tiny size also makes it difficult to move things because I can't read it without getting a...
  6. Directory size of user folder under-reported in "Properties"

in Windows 10 Support
    Directory size of user folder under-reported in "Properties": I'm trying to ascertain the size of my User folder. Right clicking on C:\Users\myusername directory shows 297 GB, however, I know it is much larger than that; a certain folder within my User folder, for example, is over 400GB. I believe the size of my User folder is actually...
  7. Folder Properties in Explorer under-reporting disk space

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Properties in Explorer under-reporting disk space: Hi all The major update to Windows 10 was rolled out to my PC several days ago. Except for the issue I am reporting in this post, everything looks fine and the new and updated features all look good! However since the update the space usage being reported when I select the...
  8. Size error for update reported???

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Size error for update reported???: I have automatic updates disabled and use the Update MinTool. I do this because where we live I have to use Mobile Internet and have a capped monthly allowance so need to control the timing of update downloads. Today I saw an update notified in the WUMT which reported a...
  9. All Windows Store apps report "The parameter is incorrect"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All Windows Store apps report "The parameter is incorrect": Glad you got it (mostly) sorted. As for the OEM stuff, you'll probably have to find it, download it and reinstall it. If you can't remember, you may be able to mount your backup and explore its contents and get the info you need from there. Hope it all goes well. Best...
  10. Incorrect size after cleaning up a filerepo folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Incorrect size after cleaning up a filerepo folder: Hello ! Got an issue with my laptop over here. It's an Asus ROG...and no, i seriously doubt that asus forums would help me, been there in the past. It came with a 120 GB NVME SSD alongside a 1TB HDD. As time passed, space kept clogging up on C from .NET, Visual Studio,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. directory size incorrect