Windows 10: Incorrect DNS

Discus and support Incorrect DNS in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to connect to my university wifi, but it wont connect. When I view the connection properties I see that under “primary DNS suffix”... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BradleyHillas, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Incorrect DNS

Hello,

I am trying to connect to my university wifi, but it wont connect. When I view the connection properties I see that under “primary DNS suffix” it names my home wi-fi network.

I have had friends fix this before and managed to connect. But everytime time I leave campus and come back the problem happens again.

Can anyone advise how I fix this permanently?

Thanks

:)

BradleyHillas, Oct 23, 2018
  2. LeonLaude Win User

DNS SERVER NOT RESONDING

Hi Rita French,

This issue often occurs when the DNS settings are incorrect. I suggest you to perform the following methods to troubleshoot the issue.

Method 1:

I would recommend you to change the Preferred DNS server and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + R keys to open Run window, type
      ncpa.cpl and press Enter.
    • Right-click on the connection that you use for the local connection, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click to select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click
      Properties.
    • In the Internet Protocol window, let's change the Preferred DNS server to
    • Click OK twice to complete the modification.

Note: If the issue persists, please repeat the steps and change the "Preferred DNS server" to 208.67.220.220.

Method 2:

If that does not help, try to flush the DNS. Follow these steps below.

• From Start screen, type Command Prompt.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
    • Type: ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.

Note: The ipconfig /flushdns command provides you with a means to flush and reset the contents of the DNS client resolver cache. During DNS troubleshooting, if necessary, you can use this procedure to discard negative cache entries from the cache, as well
    as, any other dynamically added entries.

Hope any of these methods help!

Kind regards,

Leon

LeonLaude, Oct 23, 2018
  3. DNS problems with router

A couple suggestions I have for you:

Update the firmware on the router. Maybe it's getting into a badstate, and a firmware update might fix it. Or if you're comfortable with it, install a custom firmware like dd-wrt. Just make sure its supported on your router first.

Change your DNS to: 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.1. Might help.

If none of these work, maybe statically set your DNS on your PS3/PC to the IPs you listed, taking the router out of the lookup procedure.

Last option, is look for a new router.

Hybrid_theory, Oct 23, 2018
  4. Incorrect DNS

dns probe finished no internet

Hi Oxide,

After some trial-and-error testing of all suggested fixes, which I found over the internet, here’re what worked for me to solve "DNS Probe Finished No Internet" issue and might work for you as well.

Method 1: Change Default DNS Address to Open DNS

Here all you have to do is change your default automatically obtained DNS server addresses to open DNS or Google DNS. To do this, follow below mentioned steps:

Step 1:
    Right click on Network icon located in Windows Task Bar Menu.

Step 2:
    Click on ‘Open Network and Sharing Center.’

Incorrect DNS [​IMG]

Step 3:
    Click on Local Area Connection with whom who are presently connected and click onProperties.

Step 4:
    Select ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)’ and click on Properties.

Step 5:
    Now in newly opened windows, select the radio button that reads ‘Use the following DNS server address:’

Step 6:
    Now in the ‘Preferred DNS Server’ box type in 208.67.222.222 and in ‘Alternate DNS Server’ type in 208.67.220.220.

Step 7:
    Now check the box that says ‘Validate settings upon exit’ and then click on OK. That’s it.

Incorrect DNS [​IMG]

TechieNikhil, Oct 23, 2018
Thema:

Incorrect DNS

1. Incorrect DNS - Similar Threads - Incorrect DNS

2. Bought a new laptop. Competed windows setup incorrectly. Can not log in to computer at this...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bought a new laptop. Competed windows setup incorrectly. Can not log in to computer at this...: Bought a new laptop. Competed windows setup incorrectly. Can not log in to computer at this time. Computer is unusable at this time due to not being able to log in. Looking to start fresh and try again with support....
  3. Bought a new laptop. Competed windows setup incorrectly. Can not log in to computer at this...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bought a new laptop. Competed windows setup incorrectly. Can not log in to computer at this...: Bought a new laptop. Competed windows setup incorrectly. Can not log in to computer at this time. Computer is unusable at this time due to not being able to log in. Looking to start fresh and try again with support....
  4. Unable to access Pc windows 10- password incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access Pc windows 10- password incorrect: Can't log into PC. Windows 10Changed password on Microsoft website via phone and also via "I forgot password" on pc log in screen.Both changed successfully, but when trying to log into computer, says password is incorrect.Tried activating hidden administrator account, but...
  5. Unable to access Pc windows 10- password incorrect

Unable to access Pc windows 10- password incorrect: Can't log into PC. Windows 10Changed password on Microsoft website via phone and also via "I forgot password" on pc log in screen.Both changed successfully, but when trying to log into computer, says password is incorrect.Tried activating hidden administrator account, but...
  6. Unable to access Pc windows 10- password incorrect

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  7. Explorer Gallery View Incorrect Icon proportions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer Gallery View Incorrect Icon proportions: The idea of having a “Gallery View” for Media inside Explorer is a great feature. Unfortunately, it needs to work correctly to really enjoy. Gallery View really does struggle with MOV or MP4 video thumbnails rendering them as a square, incorrect proportions or Horizontal or...
  8. Explorer Gallery View Incorrect Icon proportions

Explorer Gallery View Incorrect Icon proportions: The idea of having a “Gallery View” for Media inside Explorer is a great feature. Unfortunately, it needs to work correctly to really enjoy. Gallery View really does struggle with MOV or MP4 video thumbnails rendering them as a square, incorrect proportions or Horizontal or...
  9. incorrect pin How to fix.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    incorrect pin How to fix.: I have windows 10. When i boot up my pc it goes from screen saver immediately to a blurred screen where i put my pin # in but it won't let me. It says i tried too many times. Pin is incorrect. Then it gives me an option of a pin and it works. Why is this happening and how do...
  10. Incorrect Device Location in my Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect Device Location in my Microsoft Account: After the latest update in March 2024, the location of my computer in my Microsoft Account is shown as Vacaville CA and the address shown in Settings is Rockwood PA, the correct Address. I can't change the address in my Microsoft Account. Geek Squad tried to fix it and after...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. incorrect DNS