Windows 10: Incorrect Drive Usage Size being displayed in Windows 10

Discus and support Incorrect Drive Usage Size being displayed in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello there ! OS : Windows 10 (64 bit) - version 1809 (OS build 17763.404) Recently, I faced a very peculiar issue with my Laptop. I noticed that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Viren Ramchandani, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Incorrect Drive Usage Size being displayed in Windows 10

Hello there !

OS : Windows 10 (64 bit) - version 1809 (OS build 17763.404)

Recently, I faced a very peculiar issue with my Laptop. I noticed that the size statistics of Volume A: of Hard disk are incorrectly displayed. If I check for usage by right clicking drive A: directly, it shows 15.9 GB used and if I select all files inside and check their size, it shows 23.3 GB. (Pictures attached below).

Incorrect Drive Usage Size being displayed in Windows 10 38fbe973-9657-4071-800c-4f115275ad6a?upload=true.png

Incorrect Drive Usage Size being displayed in Windows 10 cfffc3bf-8b85-4169-bab1-48f69b816b03?upload=true.png

There are no hidden files in Drive A.

Does this pose any kind of risk to my laptop? If yes, how to rectify this issue.

Also, recently my PC abruptly ran onto the Blue Screen saying "Your PC has ran into problems" and then it switched off. Later when I tried switching it back ON, a black screen appeared saying "The SMART Hard Disk check has detected an imminent failure. To ensure not data loss, please backup the content immediately and run the hard disk test in system diagnostic. Hard Disk 1 (301)"

and when I pressed Enter to continue Startup, it shows no Hard disk detected.

After few hours when I tried switching it back ON again, it worked normally as though nothing had happened. Can the above mentioned issue be due to a faulty HDD?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

:)

Viren Ramchandani, Apr 9, 2019

2. How to solve Windows 10 100% disk usage ???

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Disk Usage. Do not worry, will assist you with the issue.

You might be facing this issue due to several reasons like low virtual memory, third party software conflicts, virus threat on the computer etc.

Even though no programs or applications are running, some background services can show memory usage and disk usage. In order to check which particular program is using the memory, I would suggest you to check the Task manager. Refer to these steps:

a) Press Windows key + X, select task manager.

b) Click on the ‘processes’ tab and it will show you show you a list of programs and services running and their corresponding memory usage

and disk usage.

c) Check if any of the item listed is consuming more memory or disk usage than normal.

I suggest you to try the following steps and check if it helps.

You need to increase this virtual memory. Make it equivalent to your RAM size for the initial size and twice of the initial size in maximum size and make sure you have the same amount of free space in your hard drive in each drive.

To do this, follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Go to Control Panel (Press Windows key+ X)> All control panel items > System

2. Click on Advanced system settings

3. Under performance, click on settings

4. Go to Advanced tab

5. Under Virtual memory, click on Change

6. UN-check "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" check box

7. Select your Windows drive (where OS is installed)

8. Click on Custom size radio button

9. Set Initial size equivalent to your RAM size in MB

10. Set Maximum size to twice of your RAM size in MB

11. Click on Set

12. Click on OK thrice

13. Restart your system.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on Windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Deepak..Raghav, Apr 9, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 9, 2019
  4. Incorrect Drive Usage Size being displayed in Windows 10

Windows 10 high Memory Usage

Hello,

I appreciate your patience.

You might be facing this issue due to several reasons like low virtual memory, third party software conflicts, virus threat on the computer etc.

Even though no programs or applications are running, some background services can show memory usage and disk usage. In order to check which particular program is using the memory, I would suggest you to check the Task manager.

Refer to these steps:

1. Press Windows key + X, select
    task manager.

2. Click on the ‘Processes’ tab and it will show you show you a list of programs and services running and their corresponding memory usage and disk usage.

3. Check if any of the item listed is consuming more memory or disk usage than normal.

I suggest you to try the following steps and check if it helps.

You need to increase this virtual memory.

Make it equivalent to your RAM size for the initial size and twice of the initial size in maximum size and make sure you have the same amount of free space in your hard drive in each drive.

To do this, follow the following steps:

1. Go to Control Panel (Press Windows key + X)> All control panel items > System

2. Click on Advanced system settings.

3. Under Performance, click on settings

4. Go to Advanced tab

5. Under Virtual memory, click on Change

6. Un-check "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" check box

7. Select your windows drive (where OS is installed)

8. Click on Custom size radio button

9. Set Initial size equivalent to your RAM size in MB

10. Set Maximum size to twice of your RAM size in MB

11. Click on Set

12. Click on OK thrice

13. Restart your system

Hope it helps.

Let us know if the issue persist, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Apr 9, 2019
Thema:

Incorrect Drive Usage Size being displayed in Windows 10

1. Incorrect Drive Usage Size being displayed in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Incorrect Drive Usage

2. Second Monitor - Display Size Incorrect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second Monitor - Display Size Incorrect: I am trying to connect my laptop to an external monitor. However when I do so, my laptop Identified as 1 appears much larger then the additional monitor Identified as 2. However, in actuality the external monitor is larger then the laptop red drawing. This is causing my icons...
  3. Second Monitor - Display Size Incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second Monitor - Display Size Incorrect: I am trying to connect my laptop to an external monitor. However when I do so, my laptop Identified as 1 appears much larger then the additional monitor Identified as 2. However, in actuality the external monitor is larger then the laptop red drawing. This is causing my icons...
  4. Windows show incorrect screen sizes under "Display Settings" - Incorrect alignments

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows show incorrect screen sizes under "Display Settings" - Incorrect alignments: This issue has been around in Windows for many years. I have the following problem:Screen 1: 27 inches @ 2560 x 1440Screen 2: 13 inches @ 2560 x 1440Screen 3: 24 inches @ 1920 x 1080Displayed screen sizes shouldn't be based on resolution alone.It makes alignment work...
  5. Windows show incorrect screen sizes under "Display Settings" - Incorrect alignments

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows show incorrect screen sizes under "Display Settings" - Incorrect alignments: This issue has been around in Windows for many years. I have the following problem:Screen 1: 27 inches @ 2560 x 1440Screen 2: 13 inches @ 2560 x 1440Screen 3: 24 inches @ 1920 x 1080Displayed screen sizes shouldn't be based on resolution alone.It makes alignment work...
  6. Windows show incorrect screen sizes under "Display Settings" - Incorrect alignments

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. C drive usage size increased

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive usage size increased: I tried to upgrade my windows 10 home to pro so I used the windows media creation tool upgrade option. then I canceled that activity simply added the product key to active. now the issue is that my C drive size 140GB and it's showing only 10 GB left...
  8. Windows 10 Storage Usage Incorrect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Storage Usage Incorrect: Hi I'm getting the notification that my C drive is full I have a ThinkPad T570 with 512gb ssd. the C drive have 269gb. It is getting full for no reason, over a period of a few days it has been getting full without me downloading anything I went to take a look into the storage...
  9. Taskbar icon sizes after reboot display incorrectly

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar icon sizes after reboot display incorrectly: Win 10 LTSC v1809 bad - [img] good - [img] (preferred) What can I do? Thanks! 143542
  10. Data not being displayed in notepad despite being 118kb's in size.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Data not being displayed in notepad despite being 118kb's in size.: I have a text document that is 118kb that when I open it using notepad or any other word processor appears to show a blank page. However, clicking on "select all" highlights the entire area and seems to encompass multiple pages, yet still does not display any visible data....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. incorrect drive usage